cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did the DK2 specs change since announcement?

Emvy-
Honored Guest
I was wondering if the DK2 got changes/improvements in between announcement and soon to be shipping date?

it has been a couple of months since annoucement so allot could have happend in-between.

maybe cybereality can tell us if this is the case or not? 🙂
18 REPLIES 18

SinisterSalad
Honored Guest
Just take some white-out and put dots on the plastic next to each LED. That way, you get your dots, and they're still protected. lol
DK2 Order date: Mar 27, 2014 12:46 PM PDT

Gerald
Expert Protege
"ThreeEyes" wrote:
"vallie" wrote:
Excellent~ Though I still miss the polka dots...

I suppose if they made a clear plastic faceplate you could get them back as long as it wasn't being used as part of the light shielding. That could be kind of cool, though. The LEDs are on a big flexible polyimide circuit board and look very nice!

Or, you could always just drill holes at all the LED locations if you wanted them bare. But you would lose the static shielding effect of having a solid plastic faceplate over them.

actually they made a clear/milky plastic faceplate 😄 ... that would be my favorite DK2 version if they would sell it.

look at the picture a bit further down: http://www.roadtovr.com/e3-2014-oculus-vr-booth-tour-mini-museum-reveals-never-seen-rift-prototypes/

I really liked the ability to see the LEDs, but in the end when I am "in" I won't notice the difference anyway.
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

ThreeEyes
Explorer
Very cool! Thanks for that link!

That cover looks 3D printed. Wonder if it was and if they would ever make the .stl (or whatever format) available? If they did, people could add things in relief to it, print it in different colors (as long as it was IR transparent), or whatever.

Shapeways, baby! (or print them at home if one has a good personal 3D printer...)
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

cybereality
Grand Champion
No. The specs for DK2 were finalized and locked months ago and have not changed.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Gerald
Expert Protege
"ThreeEyes" wrote:
Shapeways, baby! (or print them at home if one has a good personal 3D printer...)

yeah - I really hope someone will give us a good 3D model to print, because I would love to switch for a transparent one 🙂
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons

Far515
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
No. The specs for DK2 were finalized and locked months ago and have not changed.

Sooooo, you've got plenty of time to work on CV1, eh? I bet CV1 specs are completely locked down at the moment and they are planning mass-production. But only my 2 cents. :lol:

PS.: Still hoping for a 2014 release, if it wasn't obvious enough. 🙂

P.S.2: But really, please tell us why you are always like "nothing to announce yet". If you know, that you can't make it in 2014, you could tell us. It would even boost DK2 sales, though it's not meant for consumers.....so my hopes are still up, that they are planning to give a release date after DK2 has shipped. Around the end of August....
i7 4770K @4,4 GHz GTX 780 SC (EVGA) 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866

ThreeEyes
Explorer
"Gerald" wrote:
yeah - I really hope someone will give us a good 3D model to print, because I would love to switch for a transparent one 🙂

I'm kind of liking that red one... 😉 But basic black also looks pretty sweet...
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

Hicks613
Heroic Explorer
DK2 no longer looks like a handbag. :lol:

And instead of multiple cables coming out the top of the unit you have just one. 😛

Vallie
Protege
That translucent red one is the awesome!!
I'd still put rainbows & unicorns on it though.

And dots. More dots.