cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth buying a dk2 today?

oliver32
Honored Guest
Hi guys.

I was just wondering how long i have to wait in order to get my Oculus rift if i pre-order dk2 today. I really dont want to wait 4-5 months to get it. By then it will only be 5-6 months before cv1 comes out(I guess).
Is it worth ordering it now? Im a huge enthusiast in oculus rift and im planning on develop some games on my own. 🙂
16 REPLIES 16

kojack
MVP
MVP
It's hard to say how long it will take if you order today, since not a single DK2 has actually been received yet, and nobody knows how close CV1 is. Even Oculus aren't sure, as seen by the estimates earlier and now.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

BAngel
Explorer
Well, the site says September if you order today. I imagine the initial release this month is going to be way more dense than it would in September, so I would think you wouldn't get it any later than that. If you want to develop games for it, I'd say why not? Who knows when CV1 will come out, so if you want to have more time to develop for consumers, the earlier the better.
We are actually going to rename the DK2 to the PDBTIYANAD2 (please don't buy this if you are not a developer 2). -cybereality

oliver32
Honored Guest
"bangel" wrote:
Well, the site says September if you order today. I imagine the initial release this month is going to be way more dense than it would in September, so I would think you wouldn't get it any later than that. If you want to develop games for it, I'd say why not? Who knows when CV1 will come out, so if you want to have more time to develop for consumers, the earlier the better.

Thanks for the quick and well written answer. Think i will order one today then 🙂 maybe if im lucky i will get in the august shipment 😉

ThreeEyes
Explorer
Also, if you order now and for whatever reason decide to just wait for CV1, you can cancel as long as you don't have a shipping notice and maybe you can cancel after that. That's a question for support.

Only thing that happens now if you order is you get a $50 charge to secure your order. Small price to pay.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

knack
Honored Guest
pre-order for CV1 must be with luck in 6 months, 3 months wait for first branchs and again wait for your branch if you are not in the first, and with CV1 going to be hard, lots of people not buy DK2 and going to buy CV1.

if you can't wait 8-10 months and have the money just buy it.
If you can wait, wait
if you havent the money and your aren't a dev wait.
if you want dev and haven't money for CV1 buy Dk2 and try make some money.
if you can't wait and haven't money for CV1 and you not going to dev sell your blood and body and buy DK1 and CV1
PD: yes my english its bad i known i5-4570 - Shaphire r9-290, win10-64

oliver32
Honored Guest
"ThreeEyes" wrote:
Also, if you order now and for whatever reason decide to just wait for CV1, you can cancel as long as you don't have a shipping notice and maybe you can cancel after that. That's a question for support.

Only thing that happens now if you order is you get a $50 charge to secure your order. Small price to pay.

Well, im going to pay with paypal. I think that if you pay with paypal they pay you 506 dollars instant.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
support@oculus.com and ask them if they will refund if you cancel. Maybe it is in the order page FAQ.

The only thing I can tell you for certain is we have no idea if you should buy a DK2 or not. If you are a developer then it's a no-brainer. Yes. You should buy one. If you just want one for fun, Palmer keeps saying do not buy the DK and wait for CV1. He probably would be a good authority on that.

You probably won't get an official (or any) word or promise on when CV1 will be available or when your specific DK would ship.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. That is just how it is sometimes...
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

mta
Honored Guest
How long will you have to wait? Who knows.

A big portion of the oculus team are actually in China, yet there are suddenly heavy delays literally 2 weeks after the "quickly ramping and shipping 20-30k" quote from nate. If things can be knocked so badly off track in a matter of weeks that just shows how unpredictable the manufacturing part of the whole process is.

Expect nothing, be surprised.

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
Buy.

But what did you expect asking this question here? Almost everybody here is waiting for DK2 to arrive at their doorstep. :twisted:
The answer might be a little biased 😉

Look at people's reaction for DK2.
And then think what's worse - waiting 1-4 months before ordering and receiving DK2, and dealing with everything that comes out of the fact, that it is a DK, not a consumer product (not that much supporting software available) or...
watching all those YT video, where people scream from enjoyment while having fun using DK2, and having to wait for CV1 maybe even until 2016. CV1 might show up in January 2015, but we can only guess.

Buy. It's worth it even if you're not a developer. (Although I don't recommend buying DK2 for people not experienced with PCs). Of course - it will be "crap" compared to CV1, but you can always sell your DK2 a month before the release date of CV1.
DK2, even if it's just a "crappy" prototype, is still the best VR HMD you can buy. It's still the best piece of hardware you can buy to achieve tons of fun from gaming. In my opinion it's much more worth buying even now, than buying a 70" TV or PS4/Xone. Or both.
VR with low persistence will be something you will talk about to your grandchildren one day. You don't want to miss something that important, if you're passionate about gaming. (and if you're a developer, then you don't even have to ask, cause the answer is that obvious).

It's going to be bigger than Amiga, bigger than 3dfx, bigger than first Playstation.
The wait for DK2 is killing us, so just imagine how hard it could be having to wait a year or so for CV1.
And the wait for DK2 is driving people crazy for a good reason. Even people like me - who didn't have the pleasure to test DK2 yet, are certain that it's awesome.
If you buy now, you will get your DK2 when some software is already available. Sure, it won't be much, but you don't complain for duration of a rollercoaster ride. You're saying "it was awesome! I wan't to do it again!".
Ah, damn it. I just reminded myself how hard it is to wait for August. :mrgreen:
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.