New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Greetings!

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Hey!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • standtall007standtall007 Posts: 283
    Hi there, now i don't know if this is mandatory to write in this thread or not, but i am currently developing a game made with Unity and i want to implement Oculus into it, so the user has the option to play from behind the character or from the character's eye perspective :) it's a little twist to the game which i like very much! i hope that when i get my DK2 that i can get a better feeling on how to make the games mechanics a lot better :D Thank you for your time, and i will see you guys in here some more (hopefully ;))

Cheers,
    David "standtall007" Mortensen.
    ASUS Maximus VII Formula
    Intel core i7 quad core 4790K OC'ed @ 4.4Ghz
    32GB DDR3 Ram
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    GSync Monitor @ 2560x1440, 144Hz
    DK2 Owner
    CV1 Preordered.
  • AlibabooAlibaboo Posts: 4
    Hi I preorderd dk2 march 26th. I'm an ios developer and I personally use windows and android. :) Hopefully I can do something with oculus rift in my part time.
  • gigajoshgigajosh Posts: 13
    Brain Burst
    Hey!
    My name's Josh, I'm originally from the UK but live in The Netherlands and am ridiculously hyped about receiving the DK2, er, some time in August. I wasn't in the first 10000 for sure (approx first 24 hours apparently).
    I just registered virtualre.al as a domain name and wanted to ask folks what they thought of it.. but realized I'd better say hi first.. or I wouldn't be able to post anyway :-)
  • Jedi2016Jedi2016 Posts: 114
    Howdy folks! Yes, I live in Texas.. hehe.

This isn't my first post, but I figure I'd say hi anyway. Name's Mike. I have a background in CG visual effects, photography, and various other graphical sundries (including plain stereoscopic rendering). Fiddling around in Unity is like learning a new CG program, the buttons all say the right things on them, but they're all in the wrong place and I don't know where half of them are.. hehe. No idea if anything I produce will ever get beyond my desktop, but we'll see. At the very least, I hope I can make something that looks nice, since I already know so much about shading and lighting and cameras and such. I'm not much of a programmer, but maybe I can help out in little ways from what I do know.

And I will not be part of the first batch of DK2s, I didn't put my order in until a couple weeks ago. But at least I can see what everyone else is doing with it in the meantime.

Cheers!
  • ZulzarZulzar Posts: 1
    Hey everybody!
    I'm an enthusiast from Germany and I have been keeping Oculus in mind since the kickstarter project.
    I considered many times whether I should buy DK1 or not but the low resolution, the lack of positional tracking and Oculus' advice that you should wait for CV1 if you are not a developer have always restrained me.

However, DK2's specs sounded much more convincing and consumer-ready so I couldn't resist anymore and ordered DK2 on April 12 although I intended to wait until CV1 at first. Unfortunately, this probably means that I won't get my DK2 until August but I hope it'll at least be early or mid August :cry:

Well, be that as it may, I'm really looking forward to DK2 and even if I'm not a developer I think I'll try out to develop my own short demo in UE4 :D
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Welcome!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • AsaneAsane Posts: 119
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zulzar wrote:
    Hey everybody!
    I'm an enthusiast from Germany and I have been keeping Oculus in mind since the kickstarter project.
    I considered many times whether I should buy DK1 or not but the low resolution, the lack of positional tracking and Oculus' advice that you should wait for CV1 if you are not a developer have always restrained me.

However, DK2's specs sounded much more convincing and consumer-ready so I couldn't resist anymore and ordered DK2 on April 12 although I intended to wait until CV1 at first. Unfortunately, this probably means that I won't get my DK2 until August but I hope it'll at least be early or mid August :cry:

Well, be that as it may, I'm really looking forward to DK2 and even if I'm not a developer I think I'll try out to develop my own short demo in UE4 :D

Congrats on you guys giving Brazil a beating. Lol
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified
    Memory:16 GB RAM
    Wheel:Logitech G27
    HOTAS: X55 Rhino
  • kinjutsukinjutsu Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Hi Oculus forums! I'm an artist/designer, been working in the game industry for the past four years and I'm looking forward to all the exciting things coming out of VR. I live in LA and have gotten a chance to try out some cool things at the meetups here. Now I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of the dk2 and working on a little Unreal 4 demo, hope to share some progress on it soon.
    @elysebk  |  elysebk.com
    Oculus Launchpad Project: Mail Snail

• uswinuswin Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Hi guys,
    I have been following the oculus rift since almost 1.5 years ago since kickstarter news. at first I was always skeptical with HMD, i thought that this oculus rift will be just another vuzix or something, but then I decided to follow through and decided to give this a chance and after reading a lot of info about rift, i decided that this is what i have been waiting for. I'm gamer for life but since the era of next gen console, i felt something missing from the traditional gaming console, I want more, i want to be in the game, i want to feel how it is like if i live inside of that world. Reading Oculus rift news, info, and imagining what is like when strapped on one has ignite that long gone passion inside of me even though i have to keep my expectation in check.

I still remember the day when john carmack announced that he joined oculus as CTO, the facebook drama etc. I have been holding up not to buy DK1 due to some financial issue back then, and now I'm ready to join the bandwagon since I always fascinated by the concept of alternate reality including lucid dreaming and virtual reality, I want to know what is like to safely fall from digital mountain, ledge, visiting fantasy world etc.

I Finally just preorder DK2 today (I know I'm kind of late in the train but better late now than latter), and also planning to learn UE4/unity in the future and hopefully manage to contribute to this wonderful community.
    oh almost forgot, I mainly make a living making android app (mostly live wallpaper) for 2 years already and planning to do something about VR in the future either a VR Cafe or VR Software developer company since VR will be a big thing.

Greeting from Indonesia here.
    sorry for my bad English
  • WilkinWilkin Posts: 159
    Brain Burst
    Hi everyone

Ok, might as well say hi on my third post. Joined the community after ages of lurking as a visitor. :) i am looking forward to the dk2 and hope i can brush up my modelling skills in my free time and see if i can assemble something usefull with blender and ue4. Chances are slim, fulltime job, two small kids to take care of, a wife who wouldn't be happy to loose me on some weird gadget...maybe i can make it all work with less sleep?

I was hooked on videogames since i played pong as a small kid, and knowing that i am in fact going to live to see VR actually working is thrilling - i allways thought that it wouldn't happen in my lifetime. :)

I just want to say thanks to everyone here for giving me huge inspiration and motivation - love to see what developers are currently working on and sharing their work in progress - really love what i saw here, keep up the good work. :)

Greetings from denmark!
  • Hi everyone,

I am a programmer in Hong Kong.

waiting for DK2 shipping. pre-order on March. :D
  • ivanhawkesivanhawkes Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Hey everyone!

I'm a programmer living in Australia. I used to write games and enjoy working with computers (back in the 80s), then I spent altogether too long writing business software. Illness meant I had to drop out of the industry. Now I am spending my time retraining, learning CryEngine, and trying to get well again (it's mental, I'm as crazy as glue).

Learning to write games again is great therapy ^^
  • Hi,
    I'm Matt and I recently got my degree in game art and design. I am just entranced by the rift and its potential. I cant wait to step into a world that I create and share that with others. The most exiting part, IMO, is the fact that we art exploring uncharted waters and pioneering an entirely new facet of entertainment. I have argued for years with friends and family over the artistic merit of games and now I can literally put them in the middle of it.
    This new born VR dev community is amazing. I cant wait to get started.
  • Hello everyone,

I am an enthusiast in VR and being into the automotive industry in general, I could not resist what Assetto Corsa gave to us. I am also in to autocad and solidworks and I am strill trying to figure out a way to see DWG / FBX projects inside the oculus in a more palatable way, that means no UE4 or unity import... Anyway, reading the MTBS original post and now being here in such a short time is nothing short of amazing.

It feels that some great things are coming in every disciplines that I am in to. Architecture, automotive, gaming, cinema... It is so exciting to be alive today.

PS: for all those on Assetto Corsa right now, strap an aurora bass shaker directly to the chair AND the pedal box...

PS2: NOTHING IS CONFIRMED!
  • tg022011tg022011 Posts: 14
    Hey guys! My name is TY Gu. I'm still a student and new to VR, but I tried my friend's Rift and was amazed!! Just want to join this forum to learn more about the Rift. Hopefully we can roll out some VR games in the future :).

Thanks,
    TY
  • AshlesAshles Posts: 515
    Art3mis
    Hi, My name's Ash and I'm an enthusiast in Brighton/London. Don't have a DK2 as yet but hoping to put in an order soon.

My background is in Experimental Pyschology (with a special interest in perceptual processes) and I also write film and TV scripts in my spare time (I have also published a novel).

My interest is in media (how films for VR will use different cinematography language, setup, editing, possibly even script formats and how it will be effective for different story types) and also for business applications (I work in Presentations).
    I also think there is some very interesting psychological work that wil be done with VR as a mood stabiliser, self-image modifier, exposure treatment etc.
    And I believe at its simplest it may be a wonderful chill-out device (just sitting on a raft at sea, or in a chalet by a ski resort, in the desert, in an oak panelled library, on mars...). Just need to work out how to create an in-world Kindle reader.

I also use parentheses too much (far too much : ) ).

I believe VR will be huge, with headsets appearing in every house gradually to start with, then more so over time. This is such an exciting time with so many possibilities untapped and unimagined.

My first steps are to understand the basic programming tools and 3d creation tools (SketchUp, Unity etc).
    "Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Hey all,

I have a Comp Sci background but haven't used it in any job since.
    I'm the first in my circle of friends to buy any new gadget. I'll be bringing the rift out at parties or showing it off to family and friends whenever I get the chance. I bet most of us fall into this category.

I've been waiting for VR since I saw Dactyl Nightmare at the CNE sometime in 1990. I wasn't able to pony up the money to try it myself, but I was able to watch the TV's above participants and watch their reactions. Then, poof! It vanished from the mainstream for 20 years.

I'm a big fan of racing sims and Assetto Corsa is ready for the arrival of my Rift. My Playseat and G25 wheel are a lot less expensive than replacing rubber on a track car. Or replacing the car when things go sideways.

I work in aviation so I'm also looking forward to DCS World and War Thunder. Even a 3-screen setup feels like flying IFR compared to full immersion sims I've been able to use. I'm interested to see how the Rift compares with some of the multi-million dollar setups I've flown.

While I haven't done any serious programming in years, I'm excited to see the capabilities and limitations of this consumer-grade technology. The fact that the Norwegians have put the DK1 on a tank shows how new technology can lead to innovation. I have quite a few ideas bouncing around in my head so I'm excited to see how practical they are once I strap VR to my face. If you have the technical know how but are lacking inspiration please PM me!

Z
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • tizer2000uktizer2000uk Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Hey all,

I work in the Space industry and am looking at a number of applications where the Rift will be of great benefit.

I have long waited for the VR industry to reach a specification and price point that will drive the industry forward and am very excited to begin working on some exciting applications!

T
  • serothisserothis Posts: 14
    Hi All

I'm a software developer in the banking industry. I work mostly with C++/sql. My first project with the OR will likely be making a mod for another game adding OR support.

-serothis
  • ianbruceianbruce Posts: 10
    Hi guys.

I'm Ian Bruce. I'm wrapping up an automotive gig in China, and looking forward to getting back into the VR scene.

I'd previously worked with Apple's Advanced Technology Group as part of the Worldboard team. Worldboard was a spec for using geo-coded real-world data with with Augmented Reality devices. My responsibilities were system user interface, application concept development, and the AR hardware device itself. This was in the late 1990's, and needless to say, the program was far ahead of its time -- a little too far.

I've also been been a keynote presenter at technology conferences on the subjects of immersive simulation and human interface design. A few people here may remember the VR Expos in NYC. That seems like such a long time ago... I still have 2 sets of LEEP optics given to me by Eric Howlett back in 1998.

I'm very grateful to Palmer Lucky, Oculus, and Moore's Law for bringing this technology back to the fore. Cheers.
  • ComgenieComgenie Posts: 13
    Hey all!

I'm Jeffrey from the Netherlands and I'm a software developer currently working in the Energy business. Programming and designing is a hobby which I also do a lot outside of my regular work. Currently I'm working on a site for myself and others to learn Japanese. Next to that I'm busy with creating some (web)games. In the past I've been working on Games, (High performance) network applications, Frameworks, Apps and more. I'm known for messing around with pretty much everything on the computer :P .

My first goal when receiving my DK2 is to make an interactive immersive experience based on real locations in Japan. Immersion is one of the best ways to learn and get used to a language. I've made a few prototypes with the HMD I had before (ST1080) but the FOV is too low for it to be really immersive. Hopefully the Oculus Rift will bring me what I want :).
  • linuxopVRlinuxopVR Posts: 8
    Hi All!

I am a Linux Admin for a somewhat large and very fanatical support type company ;)
    And have been keeping a passing interest with the rift since shortly after its funding goal back in the day. I have some unexplored uses for the rift that might prove to be beneficial for all.

Love reading these boards. I'm more of a background kind of guy so I don't post much.

Awesome!
  • DawesDawes Posts: 3
    Hi all!

I'm a long-time PC gamer studying computers in a sleepy college town in the Mid-South. I was lucky enough to have been a day-one DK2 preorder. I'm in this to experience, influence, and create a new medium of entertainment with everyone.
  • LektorLektor Posts: 4
    Hi!
    Im doing game development course at college. Our main computer languages are C# and bit of C++. Ive started small project at Unreal. Hope to make something great for VR.
  • jpgnevesjpgneves Posts: 5
    Hey all,

I'm João and I'm currently in Sweden. I'm a software developer for a much more boring industry and have been mostly doing Erlang for the past couple of years. Been playing around with UE4 for the past few days and I'm really looking forward to get my kit here to do stuff!
  • Hello there,
    Maxime from Belgium here. I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany....

No but seriously, I am looking forward to trying my dk2, but expect to be waiting a while longer sinde I have ordered it 10 days ago... :oops:
  • bluesharkblueshark Posts: 4
    Hey there,
    I´m from Germany and can hardly wait to have DK2 on my desk.
  • RockShaedyRockShaedy Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Hello all... I guess this is m first post, yet I've been lurking here since the beginning.... Looking forward to my first taste of VR wit the Dk2 and Unreal Engine 4...
  • goettelgoettel Posts: 289
    Welcome one, and welcome all - keep those barf bags ready! 8-)