cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution to Not Having Enough Demos for DK2

LucidReality
Honored Guest
Many people are thinking about the lack of DK2 content to try out in between developing your own projects, but the solution to get as many DK2 demos out there is obvious....VR JAM 2014!! 😄

Demos should be required to run on DK2, maybe an upgrade on the prizes (using that FB monies 😉 )

What do you think?
12 REPLIES 12

MannyLectro
Explorer
Great idea !
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

Stankiem
Honored Guest
I concur!

CaliberMengsk
Explorer
I agree. I'd probably participate this time as I feel a bit more comfortable with everything. 😄 (and I'm very likely to get mine this month I'd think.)

EDIT:
If anything, it it's not officially supported, perhaps we could do our own jam just to do it. Maybe have donated prizes.

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
Don't you mean VR Jam July 2014? Why should VR Jams only come once a year? I say let's do them monthly. It occurs to me we could just organize them ourselves, though that would mean no prizes. Maybe we have a big one each year with prizes and community organized jams more frequently. Winning one would be a badge of honor you could put in your signature for everyone to marvel at.

CaliberMengsk
Explorer
"Twitchmonkey" wrote:
Don't you mean VR Jam July 2014? Why should VR Jams only come once a year? I say let's do them monthly. It occurs to me we could just organize them ourselves, though that would mean no prizes. Maybe we have a big one each year with prizes and community organized jams more frequently. Winning one would be a badge of honor you could put in your signature for everyone to marvel at.

Eh.... I don't know about monthly, that's probably too often as you'd only get a few groups each month. Quarterly maybe. Locally, we have regular game jams around 3 times a year, and that feels about right, as far as having enough time to recoup, and to get the urge to do it again. Doing it every single month is quite often, and if you are a small team of people, or an individual, that'd take a lot of time out to do it, and leave you no time to make money, and most people would rather keep a head over their roof. It's also very very easy to get burned out.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, it's a good idea.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
"CaliberMengsk" wrote:

Eh.... I don't know about monthly, that's probably too often as you'd only get a few groups each month. Quarterly maybe. Locally, we have regular game jams around 3 times a year, and that feels about right, as far as having enough time to recoup, and to get the urge to do it again. Doing it every single month is quite often, and if you are a small team of people, or an individual, that'd take a lot of time out to do it, and leave you no time to make money, and most people would rather keep a head over their roof. It's also very very easy to get burned out.

Maybe, but just because there is a jam going on doesn't mean you have to compete. If you want to constantly be part of it that would be an option, if not then you could compete in other other or every third jam.

uswin
Explorer
"lgv212" wrote:
Many people are thinking about the lack of DK2 content to try out in between developing your own projects, but the solution to get as many DK2 demos out there is obvious....VR JAM 2014!! 😄

Demos should be required to run on DK2, maybe an upgrade on the prizes (using that FB monies 😉 )

What do you think?

couldn't agree more.

mdk
Honored Guest
We are probably going to see a lot of DK2 demos regardless. A competition still sound like a very nice idea. It would be interesting to see what kind of gameplay ideas people come up with that utilize positional tracking. Positional head tracking should maybe be the focus of the competition.