cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift & Vivid Dreams

nlholman
Honored Guest
Hey guys!

Just got my Rift yesterday and have been lugging it around everywhere I go showing off some of the demos on my laptop. The reactions are overall pretty positive and can't wait to start getting my hands a little dirty working on it. (Probably when things calm down at work...)

I did have an observation though and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed it.

Now you have to understand, I don't remember the last time I had a dream. My job is pretty fun but very routine and after playing in the Rift for only about 30 minutes (all I could manage before I started feeling a little unwell) I had a night full of crazy detailed dreams that I can actually recall.

Anyone else notice a difference in their sleep?
74 REPLIES 74

KBK
Protege
If you take an hour off after playing with the rift, or playing any game, there is much lower chance that it will show up in your dreams, or be what might be perceived as the cause of the dreams.

One thing that science noted is that we seem to process and go through scenarios ahead of time and if we have a thing to work out that is on our minds, as we go to sleep, it stays with us. Never go to sleep directly after playing a violent game. do something else for about an hour and allow the mind to re-center, re-adjust, then go to sleep. That is their conclusion and it seems to work as a mundane analysis.

slipping toward the other side of the equation a bit, we find that when 'puttin on the rift', we are adopting a hypnotic physical position, which is echoed in the visual and body stimulus area of things.

We are entering the hind-brain area of base function learning in the same way and areas we activated as very young children. which is partially why we end up in the nausea and headache range. We are activating, utilizing and working in areas of our cranial wiring that have not been messed with in a very long time. So long ago, that they are below what we call the conscious and ego threshold. Autonomous function.

When you add in the hypnotic position of eyes straight ahead with what is a largely unfocused position for the eye's focusing and alignment parameters, you find yourself back in the proto-self stage on/in some important ways.

You are in the hypnotic state, in some ways, so there is a trace (and maybe fully blown after some relaxation considerations) of that in the equation and then the hindbrain re-learn open access state. You are back in the baby carriage again, trying to build a visual (signal and signal/shape recognition) system, a physical (act/feedback) system and a consciousness system. Basically, you are screwing around in your deepest functions, physically, and spiritually, if you will... in a way, and level/intensity that you have not done, since you were a newborn.

The trick is to figure out what to do with it. Knowing this sort of thing is crucial, to me, as one should be aware of what the situation is, so they can go into it with enough foreknowledge to make the correct considerations, or any form of consideration about what is going on. As in: Be aware. Good if you are aware and can deal with it and do something with it, possibly bad if you go into it unawares. A 'make of it what you will' kind of thing, but I think it is best to go into it knowing what the potentials are.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

3Jane
Explorer
Very interesting topic!

I think VR will open up a whole new world of "highs" for people to get. Whether its flying around like superman or exploring a zen garden, transforming ones sense of space will produce a wide range of effects in users.

Indeed forget about the Rift affecting your dreams, how about using the Rift to actively dream while awake? I've always imagined that truly immersive VR would affect people like a diet LSD. An active hallucination the user can control and interact with. Unlike LSD you can turn VR off, but just like LSD if the experience you had was intense enough it will likely leave a strong mark on your memory; perhaps infiltrating your dreams or even giving you flashbacks.

While I don't believe in balls of light and other new age theories of "energy" I do know the brain is quite the mysterious and amazing device. VR presents us with the chance to alter our brain chemistry through experiences that aren't real. What types of experiences and senses will produce the most transformative states in VR users? Will a walk through a realistic forest produce measurable increases in dopamine and relaxation in users? Could an abstract experience ala the end of 2001 trigger psychedelic thoughts or states of mind? As VR improves will it eventually need to be regulated like other drugs and intense experiences? Will holo-deck style VR be too addictive?

So many awesome questions to answer!

sven
Protege
Notch has also been having dreams after playing with his Rift...

Saethan
Honored Guest
I've been lucid dreaming for a long time(not every night but pretty dang often) - they always start the same, I'm in the exact spot where I fell asleep, but from there I can go anywhere and do anything (though I have -lost control- while lucid dreaming and had to force myself to wake up - it can get scary sometimes).

What I wonder is, what if you fall asleep with your Rift and headphones on?

ignoramus
Honored Guest
When I was 8 years old, my dad gave me an MSX computer and the video game “aliens”. I played the game for hours that day, amazed at the technology, totally immersed. I think it may have been my first prolonged video game session.

Anyways, the dreams I had that night (and many nights following) were extremely vivid – dreams of being in the game. I can still recall them in detail for some reason, and every once in while I actually have a “flash back” dream where I am 8 years old and in that very game. Not bad dreams but very tense.

I can’t wait to try the rift!

MikeArms24
Honored Guest
I've been having vivid dreams almost every night. Last night in my dream I looked in the mirror and saw a floating blue head of an unfinished, unanimated character controller. Scary as hell. Then I woke up and realized I was wearing the rift in my dream and it didnt seem as scary. Another thing that I'm sure has been affecting my dreams has been making rift games in unity. Besides trying to work out code, I think my mind is trying to dream up some whacked out experience to create for the rift.
Riftmax Theater 4D Multiplayer VR Cinema! http://www.riftmax.com - Latest DK2-ready version 0.415(11/27/2014)

peteclarkelondon
Honored Guest
WOW! I've been reading so much about the Rift and took delivery a week or so ago but just stumbled across this thread.

This has got me very excited for a couple of reasons. I have had lucid dreams and OBEs for over 10 years on a reasonably regular basis, although sometimes there have been big gaps between them. I've researched the subject various times to try and increase the frequency. Therefore I know how incredible it can be, it really is the kind of thing that can change your way of thinking altogether. It feels to me like surfing (if I imagine what it might be like to surf lol), always chasing the perfect lucid dream wave, and when you can sustain one for a while it can be a really mind blowing experience. I also have noticed my dreams increase in the last few days so I believe there could well be something to this...just how much of a 'something' time may tell while we figure it out. But the idea of using it to increase the ability to lucid dream is fascinating and something I hadn't even considered.

I've loaned the Rift out for a couple of days to my business partner (we've got more coming at some point then we won't need to share), but when I get it back I'm definitely going to experiment with this. Exciting times....interesting, very very interesting. I will feed back once I have had the chance to try some things out suggested here.

360FOV
Honored Guest
Hi All,

Just thought I would drop a quick post and share some lucid dream activity I had lately which is related to the Oculus rift.

In the past 4 days I have had lucid dreams on 3 of them. This is more than I normally experience and I'm pretty sure it is due to the rift and having VR on my mind more than normal.

DAY 1 - I was in a dream and became aware that I was dreaming. Then I looked down at a table and noticed a Rift laying on it. I wondered to myself what the Rift would look like if I peeked inside it while in a dream so I put it to my face to find out. As it grew closer to my eyes the image I saw caused an intense wave of shock. My entire field of view was overtaken by the most intense screen door effect I have ever seen. There was nothing but white pixels surrounded by a black lines which were thicker than the pixels themselves. It caused such a scare in me that I woke up immediately. 😮

DAY 2 - I was in a dream walking toward a destination in a mindless normal dreaming state. After a couple minutes I realized that it was taking forever to get where ever I was heading to so I looked up to see where I was headed. I recognized that the place I was headed was the Epic Citadel Castle and it instantly made me realize I was dreaming and brought my full consciousness to the dream. I suddenly knew that since I was dreaming I didn't have to walk there and proceeded to fly Instead.

After I finished exploring the castle I went through numerous other dreams without any of my full wakefulness fading at all. I kid you not, for 3 entire hours I was fully awake in the dreams.

It was so real that it was like I was stuck in the dreams. Everything I perceived was so convincing that I don't think virtual reality could ever reach this level of immersion, at least not in our lifetimes. It finally ended when I entered a dream that was like a video game. I was somehow like a Pac-Man cartoony type character and the other lifeforms around me were also the same. At one point I pissed off a cartoon game shark and got bum-rushed by 20 different toons. Getting attacked instantly woke me up. It was simply an amazing experience.

Day 3 - This time I woke up in my dream but it had nothing to do with VR or Rift. I ran around for about 30 minutes fully awake in the dream but somehow every-time I got near an attractive woman my hands mysteriously were attracted to her breast. LOL :oops: Yeah seems a little pervy but it happens that way sometimes while lucid dreaming! I will skip the intimate details how that dream ended, but lets just say that sometime physical responses in dreams result in physical responses in your body in real life - at least after you become skilled enough not to wake up to early. (ok, too much information)

Anyhow, since my lucid dreaming is in hyper-drive, it certainly seems VR has great potential for enhancing dream awareness.

If anyone is having a periods where there lucid dreaming dries up a little then I would suggest trying to avoid sex/masturbation entirely for a short while. I've noticed that there is a direct connection with how often I use my energy sexually and how it reduces wakefulness during sleep. Not saying you need to quit sex forever, simply do an experiment and see how it influences your dreams. I know it sounds like BS but give it a try. Of course if your in a relationship you will have to fake a back injury to give up sex for a month or so. Haha! :lol:
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"

cybereality
Grand Champion
3 hours for a lucid dream!!!??!! That's impressive. I considered myself pretty experienced with it, and I think I've only done like 5 or 10 minutes at a time. Really amazing stuff!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

360FOV
Honored Guest
Yeah my typical LD only last 10-30 minutes so when these long 3 hour ones happen it is mind blowing.

You know how when people are in the Rift for longer than 5 minutes the immersion factor kicks in full gear - well same hear but multiplied exponentially. After a while you start looking at the other dream characters and start wondering if they are real. You have to stay very sober to keep remembering that it is all just a dream. But definitely more fun than a person should be allowed to have. HAHA
“My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"