New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Aliens, Trolls & Dragons

KuboldKubold Posts: 119 Oculus Start Member
edited October 2014 in Showcase
Aliens, Trolls and Dragons is a Third Person Perspective, Action/Adventure game with native Oculus Rift support (and also on standard monitors). It will be released as a single player experience on PC and Mac in a form of episodes. The first one is expected to ship this Fall.

Aliens, Trolls and Dragons will be heavily story driven. It’s essentially a clash between science fiction and fantasy. You will have a chance to test advanced technology and weapons against warriors and monsters living on a planet, that strikingly resembles what we know from fantasy stories. I'm aiming for 1-2 hour gameplay per episode, packed with cinematic scenes, swordfighting, shooting knights with pulse rifles and boss battles.

Announce Trailer:

Story:
It is the near future. Thanks to rapid progress in the field of spacecraft propulsion, we were able to reach distant planets and discover intelligent life. The aliens very much resemble us, their civilization is comparable to our medieval times. A manned mission is sent to the planet, but the lander crashes because of unknown reasons. The wreck is looted and the crew is captured and taken by the locals. You are the chief security officer of the landing party and your job is to fix all this mess.

Ok, now! This is what evolved from the "werewolf demo" (the thread it's somewhere here in work in progress) :)

Kubold

Links:

Official Page: http://www.alienstrollsanddragons.com/
Kubold home page: http://www.kubold.com/

Comments

• WhelanWebWhelanWeb Posts: 584
    I'll post your Trailer on our site tomorrow. Looks like a lot of fun.
    Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site.

http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Awesome!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • edulinaresedulinares Posts: 275
    YES!!

Need more third person games on Oculus.

Would you mind making the whole trailer in Oculus format? It's impossible to watch it on the Rift like this, moving in and out of Oculus mode.
  • KuboldKubold Posts: 119 Oculus Start Member
    I'll release a video with few minutes of gameplay soon. Besides a normal 29,97 fps Youtube, I'll try to make a 60fps video available for download. It should be way more "watchable" in Oculus. And I promise I'll try to not move my head too much... well, except when aiming for headshots ;)
  • MadGamesMadGames Posts: 11
    very interesting ;)
  • AnanasAnanas Posts: 181
    This looks absolutely gorgeous. You've managed to capture the
    Kubold wrote:
    clash between science fiction and fantasy
    feeling pretty well, I like it.

The animations looks great. These kind of games will look more and more the kind of "interactive movie" people have been trying to make, but with the head-tracking and true 3D this will be much better.
    Kubold wrote:
    I'll release a video with few minutes of gameplay soon. Besides a normal 29,97 fps Youtube, I'll try to make a 60fps video available for download.
    That sounds great, I usually don't watch Rift videos with the Rift but something like that would be really nice.
    Or even better, if you ever need any playtesters I would be more than happy to test the non-finished product and give feedback :D
    Hey!

E3 is up and I finally get to work on ATD. Gameplay video soon; for now - making locations and figuring out the TPP combat camera. It's not that easy - you can't move the camera up or down if it is too close to a wall, like you would in normal TPP. In VR, even if you "know" that you are just a camera, you still percieve yourself as... well, yourself. So the eye height must be "yours". Funny, it's single player, but you feel like in coop - you and your buddy, the hero ;)
    Kubold wrote:
    Hey!In VR, even if you "know" that you are just a camera, you still percieve yourself as... well, yourself. So the eye height must be "yours". Funny, it's single player, but you feel like in coop - you and your buddy, the hero ;)
    So, second-person games will actually be a thing!
  • regularslinkyregularslinky Posts: 148
    Brain Burst
    Wow. Looks amazing. Nice work!
  • VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    Looks fantastic! Can't wait to try this out. Malfunction still stands as one of the best interactive experiences I had in Rift yet (I hope you'll port it to DK2)!
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,679 Valuable Player
    If malfunction is anything to go by this will be fantastic. The only thing I am not sure of is the third person view. I am sure though you will make it work.
    Wow! The latest screenshot actually won Image of The Day award on gamedev.net!

http://www.gamedev.net/page/showdown/view.html/_/jakub-kisiel-r36818
    Congratulations man!!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    That's quite an honor, Kubold. Congrats. :)
    Hmm, I really need deferred lighting support. I hope new SDK's will support it better. I see a huge step backwards using SDK 0.3.2 in image sharpness in comparison to SDK 0.2.5... In my case using Forward rendering is out of the question, graphics loose too much without normal maps, speculars and realtime lights and shadows.

Btw. don't look at fps count in the corner ;D No, really, video capturing software eats a lot of rendering power.
    If you want better image clarity, then enable "Use Camera Texture" and set the "Camera Texture Scale" to higher than 1.0 (like 1.5).
    If you want better image clarity, then enable "Use Camera Texture" and set the "Camera Texture Scale" to higher than 1.0 (like 1.5).

Thanks, I already have a discussion about it in Unity integration sub-forum. There are some difficulties in 0.3.2 like Unity ignoring the eyes' viewport rectangles when using Use Camera Texture. I'll try 0.3.1 like vrdaveb suggests and we'll see
  • conlanconlan Posts: 58
    Really cool concept! Love the 3rd person angle.
    Hey!

I managed to make a 12 minute video of gameplay in Aliens, Trolls & Dragons. This is still a very early stage, but it pretty much shows the direction the game is going and what's it all about :)

Youtube version is not really suitable to watch with the Rift on your head, so I made a 60fps mp4 to download:
    http://www.kubold.com/press/aliens_trolls_and_dragons/trailers/ATD_Gameplay_Oculus_1920_60fps.mp4

Oh, and here's a non-Rift version:
    Looks really polished and nice.
  • mugloremuglore Posts: 159
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is looking better and better the more you show, great videos. Can't wait to be able to play 3rd person hack and slash on the Rift. I think that is should make for some interesting points of view and different take on immersion and agent control.
    da1d63_abf76e211b61414dab29ba736ce87511.png?dn=sig_oculus.png
    Golf Masters DK2 Alpha, GOLF MASTERS
  • uswinuswin Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    AAA quality for sure, kudos for you mate !
    by the way, do you plan any kickstarter first for this game or just directly sell it to steam,gog, etc ?
    Thanks!

I was thinking about kickstarter or at least indiegogo... even a failed campaign is a great marketing tool. But I'm a very impatient person, the preparing and leading the campaign, managing the rewards, all the legal paperwork... I'd rather just live off my savigs and finish the game ASAP. It doesn't really need big budget and I like to stay totally independant.

Exposure and marketing though... that's a tough one :D
  • virrorvirror Posts: 402
    Hiro Protagonist
    Maybe try and get it greenlit? Should also help with marketing.
    Brain Burst
    Kubold wrote:
    Thanks!

I was thinking about kickstarter or at least indiegogo... even a failed campaign is a great marketing tool. But I'm a very impatient person, the preparing and leading the campaign, managing the rewards, all the legal paperwork... I'd rather just live off my savigs and finish the game ASAP. It doesn't really need big budget and I like to stay totally independant.
    Exposure and marketing though... that's a tough one :D

yes, i guess exposure is though one. I believe in your judgement whatever you do.
    by the way, what happened with the werewolf and the witches ? will it make an appearance in this game ? i kind of dig that werewolf man, totally bad ass !
    Wait and see :D I shouldn't spoil everything.

The point is, that I have a Rift for some time now, and all I can play is demos, demos, demos, alphas and v0.01 game versions. I don't count Half Life and retro-fitted games, because I already played them before. So my goal is to put a a game out there, which is, though short, a full product with story, beginning, ending etc. I saw a post of Nathan Grayson on Kotaku saying he's getting bored of VR. What he was really saying, is that he's bored of DEMOS. The "wow factor" is gone, he got used to vr, it's now a "normal" thing to him, like a 3D TV or something. I kind of feel the same, I want something like Technolust (I play mostly for the story), but not just a demo.

As for greenlight, sure! I want everyone to play ATD. I think I will start the campaign when I release a demo.
    Brain Burst
    Kubold wrote:
    Wait and see :D I shouldn't spoil everything.

The point is, that I have a Rift for some time now, and all I can play is demos, demos, demos, alphas and v0.01 game versions. I don't count Half Life and retro-fitted games, because I already played them before. So my goal is to put a a game out there, which is, though short, a full product with story, beginning, ending etc. I saw a post of Nathan Grayson on Kotaku saying he's getting bored of VR. What he was really saying, is that he's bored of DEMOS. The "wow factor" is gone, he got used to vr, it's now a "normal" thing to him, like a 3D TV or something. I kind of feel the same, I want something like Technolust (I play mostly for the story), but not just a demo.

As for greenlight, sure! I want everyone to play ATD. I think I will start the campaign when I release a demo.

That is a good point,
    for now i think VR need a full production complete game in a smaller size like what you did here (break it into a smaller episode like what telltale did with walking dead).
    I don't mind buying episodic VR game that come out regularly
    Experimenting with spiders.

Strange, I was aiming at spiders in size of a rhino, but first thing that came out of it was this:

With some tweaks, anim speed etc. I'm adding some weight to them. Now it's more like this:

You can actually download this little test:

PC WIN - Spider Test :https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B5eiP1k4yXXiRUdJS2tMelBFSzg&export=download
    MAC - Spider Test:https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B5eiP1k4yXXiV3ZOZ25jdlV3YTg&export=download - actually not tested (I don't have a mac yet), but I'm pretty sure it needs a good graphics card, so it may not work properly on mac book air etc.

If you have arachnofobia - DON'T PLAY - the spider comes VERY close!
    Looks amazing, very realistic. Any plans for other kinds of spiders? I'd love
    hate
    to see more bulky spiders, spiders with hairy legs, tarantellas etc.

Also what about DK2, you got/have ordered one? If you do please keep the DK1 version updated, because some of us have only the DK1 but no DK2 and I'd like to test/play this with my DK1 (unless if this comes out at the same time with the consumer Rift)
    Yep, this is just a start, there will be more spiders and other creatures. I ordered my DK2 the next day after preorders announcement, so I guess it means more waiting ("awaiting inventory"). DK1 compatibility will pretty much be dependant on how much work will be needed to keep 2 kinds of camera mechanics. ATD on rift and normal monitors is already like building 2 games simultaneously... but if I won't encounter some heavy problems I guess it won't be hard to do DK1 and DK2.