New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How to use Oculus Rift on any console (Video+Text) Tutorial

TheArcheaonTheArcheaon Posts: 614
edited July 2014 in General
video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNTqM1EktOs

Written tutorial :

===================================================================================================
Equipment needed.
- Avermedia Extreme Cap u3 or Happaguage HD PVR (Or just any type of Capture card)
- Proper connection cables
- Oculus Rift (Duh)
- Console of your choice (Xbox one, PS4, PS3, PS2 Xbox 360 ect.)
===================================================================================================
Software.
- Stereoscophic Player : http://www.3dtv.at/Downloads/Index_en.aspx
- Windows Movie maker : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-movie-maker-download
- Xsplit Broadcaster : http://www.xsplit.com/download
===================================================================================================
Note : (I haven't tried it on the newer consoles, this works amazingly with the PlayStation 2! I have a playstation 3 but I don't have a Avermedia Extreme Cap u3 yet. *BUT WITH THIS TUTORIAL IT WILL WORK THE EXACT SAME WAY* (I'm using a bluetooth USB streaming stick)
===================================================================================================
Step 1 : Make sure you have your oculus rift fully connected to your pc.
Step 2 : Power up (the console of your choice)
Step 3 : When your console is up and running setup your (capture card) with your console and pc.
Step 4 : Once the capture card is fully setup, then open up your software on your PC. (For this tutorial I am using windows Movie maker. (If you're not sure how to set up a capture card with WMV you can use this tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1kevT5GWFc)
Step 5 : Once your software is fully set up and running you're going to open up (Xsplit Broadcaster)
Step 6 : Once Xsplit is up and running, click on the (ADD) button. Once this action is performed, click (Screen region) Once you see the screen fade, and you see the red lines click over the live video on Movie maker and drag to only where you see the gameplay.
Step 7. Once you've done the previous step, you'll notice that the picture is small in Xsplit. Take your cursor and click on the corner of the image and drag it into the full screen of Xsplit.
Step 8. Once you've followed the previous step, open up (Stereoscophic player) once you've performed this action, you'll see a small box, with four tabs. "File", "View", "Playback", and "Help. Now I want you to click on the (VIEW) tab. Then click, "VIEWING METHOD" once you've clicked viewing method then finally click on (Oculus Rift) mode, not sure where it is? Its located between "iZ3D" and "SIS attachment".
Step 9. Good, now that you've clicked that, click (FILE) then "Live video". Once you click on live video then select Xsplit.
Step 10, now if you did this correctly, you should see the game fully running on (Stereoscopic player). Now be sure to take the small box, and drag it over to your Oculus Rifts screen (Make sure your monitor isn't mirrored) and full screen the (Stereoscophic player)
Step 11: Be sure to enjoy your favorite game!
===================================================================================================
NOTE: If you have a capture card that will record (Also PC gameplay) this is probably if not the best solution to getting rid of those 3rd party drivers.
===================================================================================================
This took me maybe about an hour to figure out, because I had no idea how to use stereoscophic software. I'm aware of there being another way of doing it without Xsplit, but as of now. I have no idea how to do it without Xsplit.
Very interesting.
VR Pilot!

Comments

  • ncwolfncwolf Posts: 57
    If you can get the rift working on the PS4 properly then everyone can play games from all PS consoles. Sony just announced (for the summer) PS Now, which is a game streaming service from all the previous PS consoles to play on the PS4.
    Nyroc C. Wolf
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Very interesting.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Very interesting.

    Thanks mate, maybe a sticky is in favor? :P
    I think this tutorial would be perfect for who ever wants to use the oculus rift on their consoles instead of their pcs.
    VR Pilot!
  • pixel67pixel67 Posts: 196
    That may render dual images but I doubt any separation or convergence is there unless I am missing something...
  • mallmagicianmallmagician Posts: 297 Oculus Start Member
    Or you could plug your game console into your tv, and just sit a bit closer!

    What does this do that sitting in front of a tv doesn't?
  • NukemarineNukemarine Posts: 493
    Hiro Protagonist
    Or you could plug your game console into your tv, and just sit a bit closer!

    What does this do that sitting in front of a tv doesn't?

    Give you the sensation of watching a 2 meter screen from 1 meter away. I know people like to knock on the DK1's low resolution (525 pixels over a 90 degree circular view), but the resolution is only going to get better. The feeling of watching a large screen though helps reduce the issues with low resolution (barring not being able to read texts).

    While this specific hack does not interest me, there's been threads that talk about creating a product that would take any video feed and use the hardware to create something like VR Player does to feed to the Rift.
  • occhiowalkerocchiowalker Posts: 263
    Hiro Protagonist
    Very interesting.
    You seem interesting to play with Oculus on PS2? But if Palmer Luckey said that PS4 and XboxOne are not sufficient for Oculus, why do you say that this is interesting useless shortcut of "TheArcheaon"? Are you sure of what you say? Are you sure you would like to play at 10 frames per second with a PS2 video games older than 15 years ago?
  • NukemarineNukemarine Posts: 493
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ok, I looked at your YouTube video. Seems you could save two steps if you used Deskope. When you video capture, just expand that to full screen and view that on Deskope. Now, I assume in all of this you're take a huge frame rate hit but if you can keep it above 20 for the video while Deskope can run faster (hopefully 60) then it should just be like watching a big screen TV. You'll still take a resolution hit, but that will improve with later iterations of the Rift.

    Of course, all of this is just hacking a video signal. Best results would come from using an emulator and playing from your computer. In addition, I'm sure someone will create a hardware that'll translate video for the Rift.
    Very interesting.
    You seem interesting to play with Oculus on PS2? But if Palmer Luckey said that PS4 and XboxOne are not sufficient for Oculus, why do you say that this is interesting useless shortcut of "TheArcheaon"? Are you sure of what you say? Are you sure you would like to play at 10 frames per second with a PS2 video games older than 15 years ago?

    I know I'm not the person you're replying, but this seems needlessly confrontational. This thread is just a kid trying to show off what he thinks is a cool hack. Even if it turns out to not be that useful, why wouldn't it be interesting? You don't need 60fps video to watch a simulated TV screen via the Rift. VR player and Deskope has shown that to be the case. I look forward to when it actually gets pulled off as I believe that'll help with mainstream adoption of the Rift outside of gaming applications.
  • Does it give the same wrap around effect and does the head tracking still work in using the oculus on any console?
    Ca you see the black edges of the oculus?
  • A bit off this threads topic but, do you guys think it's worth waiting for the retail version oculus or just buying the dev kit 2 as it will come out before the retail version.

    I'm looking at the possibility of:
    full hd/1080p
    wireless capability
    full emersive PC connection
    and I'm not really looking for it but possible android capability

    What do you think based on what I'm looking for.
  • ncwolfncwolf Posts: 57
    Alexisa wrote:
    A bit off this threads topic but, do you guys think it's worth waiting for the retail version oculus or just buying the dev kit 2 as it will come out before the retail version.

    I'm looking at the possibility of:
    full hd/1080p
    wireless capability
    full emersive PC connection
    and I'm not really looking for it but possible android capability

    What do you think based on what I'm looking for.
    You could do a search and get all opinions for this decision from a number of threads. Unless you're going to mod your rift (which would take probably as long as simply getting the CK1), wait for the consumer version. Either way they will be very close to each other since DK2 will be for the developers to check any inconsistencies from their DK1 games.
    Nyroc C. Wolf
  • occhiowalkerocchiowalker Posts: 263
    Hiro Protagonist
    Nukemarine wrote:
    Ok, I looked at your YouTube video. Seems you could save two steps if you used Deskope. When you video capture, just expand that to full screen and view that on Deskope. Now, I assume in all of this you're take a huge frame rate hit but if you can keep it above 20 for the video while Deskope can run faster (hopefully 60) then it should just be like watching a big screen TV. You'll still take a resolution hit, but that will improve with later iterations of the Rift.

    Of course, all of this is just hacking a video signal. Best results would come from using an emulator and playing from your computer. In addition, I'm sure someone will create a hardware that'll translate video for the Rift.
    Very interesting.
    You seem interesting to play with Oculus on PS2? But if Palmer Luckey said that PS4 and XboxOne are not sufficient for Oculus, why do you say that this is interesting useless shortcut of "TheArcheaon"? Are you sure of what you say? Are you sure you would like to play at 10 frames per second with a PS2 video games older than 15 years ago?

    I know I'm not the person you're replying, but this seems needlessly confrontational. This thread is just a kid trying to show off what he thinks is a cool hack. Even if it turns out to not be that useful, why wouldn't it be interesting? You don't need 60fps video to watch a simulated TV screen via the Rift. VR player and Deskope has shown that to be the case. I look forward to when it actually gets pulled off as I believe that'll help with mainstream adoption of the Rift outside of gaming applications.
    2 January 2014 I opened this topic:
    CronusMax allows you to play with Oculus Rift on Xbox One?

    you can find it here:
    viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5738

    When I wrote this:
    If it works with Cinemizer OLED will also work with Oculus Rift.
    CronusMax + Xim Edge fail to convey to One Xbox and PS4 then also the data for the head tracking

    Palmer Luckey has intervened in my argument (this made me very happy) and wrote:
    by palmertech » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:56 pm
    No. The Rift requires a special 3D video output that no console games support.
    You could run it through a video capture card and warp the output,
    but the latency would make it unplayable. No position tracking either.

    I think what Palmer wrote to me is certainly also valid for this topic ...
    and just because this Palmer said, we can all believe in him. Do not you think?
  • ncwolf wrote:
    Alexisa wrote:
    A bit off this threads topic but, do you guys think it's worth waiting for the retail version oculus or just buying the dev kit 2 as it will come out before the retail version.

    I'm looking at the possibility of:
    full hd/1080p
    wireless capability
    full emersive PC connection
    and I'm not really looking for it but possible android capability

    What do you think based on what I'm looking for.
    You could do a search and get all opinions for this decision from a number of threads. Unless you're going to mod your rift (which would take probably as long as simply getting the CK1), wait for the consumer version. Either way they will be very close to each other since DK2 will be for the developers to check any inconsistencies from their DK1 games.

    Thanks for the response ncwolf would you or anyone else also be able to tell me in response to the original question at hand for this thread whether transferring visuals from an xbox console to the rift or xbox to PC then rift would give a fully emersive, wrap around, head tracking experience or not.
    Thanks!
  • NukemarineNukemarine Posts: 493
    Hiro Protagonist
    2 January 2014 I opened this topic:
    CronusMax allows you to play with Oculus Rift on Xbox One?

    you can find it here:
    viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5738

    When I wrote this:
    If it works with Cinemizer OLED will also work with Oculus Rift.
    CronusMax + Xim Edge fail to convey to One Xbox and PS4 then also the data for the head tracking

    Palmer Luckey has intervened in my argument (this made me very happy) and wrote:
    by palmertech » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:56 pm
    No. The Rift requires a special 3D video output that no console games support.
    You could run it through a video capture card and warp the output,
    but the latency would make it unplayable. No position tracking either.

    I think what Palmer wrote to me is certainly also valid for this topic ...
    and just because this Palmer said, we can all believe in him. Do not you think?

    Ah, I see the problem. The videos that Palmer and you were discussing concerned with controlling the first person view in game on the XBox One using a HMD. That means you bring on all the problems of low frames per second, lag and that you don't get stereoscopic 3D feed. It was unworkable from the get go as a VR solution regardless of the goggles because the game system was limited.

    What TheArcheaon is talking about is basically simulating a TV screen inside of the Rift and he just happens to be playing a PS2 game on this "screen". With a TV screen even a virtual one, you can watch a 20hz to 30hz video on it with problem. If you move your head, it won't create an input into the game you're playing or movie you're watching.

    A virtual TV screen is a lot more forgiving of the images you play on it. It's a big reason I love watching movies and TV shows on my Rift and would like to play games on it such as SNES and even Playstation. However, it also means you're not being immersed into the game like you would if you were surrounded by the game in stereoscopic 3D and low latency head tracking.
  • Nukemarine wrote:
    2 January 2014 I opened this topic:
    CronusMax allows you to play with Oculus Rift on Xbox One?

    you can find it here:
    viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5738

    When I wrote this:
    If it works with Cinemizer OLED will also work with Oculus Rift.
    CronusMax + Xim Edge fail to convey to One Xbox and PS4 then also the data for the head tracking

    Palmer Luckey has intervened in my argument (this made me very happy) and wrote:
    by palmertech » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:56 pm
    No. The Rift requires a special 3D video output that no console games support.
    You could run it through a video capture card and warp the output,
    but the latency would make it unplayable. No position tracking either.

    I think what Palmer wrote to me is certainly also valid for this topic ...
    and just because this Palmer said, we can all believe in him. Do not you think?

    Ah, I see the problem. The videos that Palmer and you were discussing concerned with controlling the first person view in game on the XBox One using a HMD. That means you bring on all the problems of low frames per second, lag and that you don't get stereoscopic 3D feed. It was unworkable from the get go as a VR solution regardless of the goggles because the game system was limited.

    What TheArcheaon is talking about is basically simulating a TV screen inside of the Rift and he just happens to be playing a PS2 game on this "screen". With a TV screen even a virtual one, you can watch a 20hz to 30hz video on it with problem. If you move your head, it won't create an input into the game you're playing or movie you're watching.

    A virtual TV screen is a lot more forgiving of the images you play on it. It's a big reason I love watching movies and TV shows on my Rift and would like to play games on it such as SNES and even Playstation. However, it also means you're not being immersed into the game like you would if you were surrounded by the game in stereoscopic 3D and low latency head tracking.

    So basically you are not able to play xbox 360 through the rifts or can you play it just not with wrap around or anything. The main thing I want is to watch movies and tv shows on the rifts which I know you can do with vr player or 3D cinema. I believe you can do full emersive PC screen right. But xbox 360 games look to be the problem according to what your saying because I'm looking for at least the wrap around 90 degree effect
  • VegasGh0stVegasGh0st Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hello again fellow Rifters,
    This seems to be on the right track for what i wish to do, I want to play the old ToeJam and Earl III on the Original xbox, and since there is no known working emulators, This seems to be a viable option until a One-Size-Fits-All screen wrapper emerges.
    I have found a hacky way to play old PC games the dont work with Tridef such as SumoTori Dreams and AudioSurf
    (That ones not as fun as i would have thought due to Meh headtracking and an overly wavy road)

    If you use "Deskope" one of my favorite Rift programs so far, and put your game into windowed mode and maximize it, you can now play in VR mode, Like i said, this is Hacky and not perfect, but a decent solution in the meantime.
    Nothing is impossible, just time consuming.
Sign In or Register to comment.