Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom 3 BFG Edition

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
Latest version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101772879/Doom3BFG-VR4.zip

---------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know what's happening with iD software and Oculus regarding Doom 3 BFG. And I don't know when we get our $20 steam vouchers to help buy Doom 3 BFG.

But we've been working on adding Oculus Rift support to the source code, since it's open source (except the Bink video playback). Our Rift's haven't arrived yet though, so it's a bit hacky.

We've got head-tracking working, but we haven't fixed the shaders or rendering for the 7" yet. Head tracking should work for real Rifts or for Hillcrest trackers.

Download (old version):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/101772879/Doom3BFGTracking.zip

Source:
https://github.com/tmek/DOOM-3-BFG-VR
464 REPLIES 464

captaintrips
Explorer
Well, the full body experience is cool... but got a little work to do on the lasersite tracking (it's detached from the gun and floats in the air)... and if you look completely down, your body turns 360 degrees, so it looks like you've got your head on backwards, lolol.

but great work thus far! keep it up!

[img[http://imageshack.us/a/img51/4023/2013051300005.jpg[/img]

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"tmek" wrote:
I had a funny experience tho, I went around a corner and saw my shadow and it had no head! (realizing you had to remove the head it doesn't obstruct your vision.)

I was hoping nobody would notice. 🙂 Actually, I can probably fix that fairly easily, since shadows can be controlled separately from rendering.

"tmek" wrote:
One thing I noticed is that when i enable any anti-aliasing in the menus the textures instantly get very blurred. I seem to recall It used to be that this only seemed to happen when motion blur was enabled.

I don't think I changed anything about that. Was that problem there originally?

"captaintrips" wrote:
Well, the full body experience is cool... but got a little work to do on the lasersite tracking (it's detached from the gun and floats in the air)... and if you look completely down, your body turns 360 degrees, so it looks like you've got your head on backwards, lolol.

I was testing it in 2D, since I don't have a Rift, so I didn't notice the lasersight problem, or the tracking problem. But I thought that might be an issue. Unfortunately it's hard to fix, because in the world model the gun isn't being held up and aimed unless you start shooting. So you wouldn't really be able to aim with the lasersight on the gun properly.

Vaerraent
Honored Guest
"2EyeGuy" wrote:
"captaintrips" wrote:

I was testing it in 2D, since I don't have a Rift, so I didn't notice the lasersight problem, or the tracking problem. But I thought that might be an issue. Unfortunately it's hard to fix, because in the world model the gun isn't being held up and aimed unless you start shooting. So you wouldn't really be able to aim with the lasersight on the gun properly.

Could you not simply attach the lasersight to the gun model and have it clip through the environment? That way, it would always follow the direction the gun sights are pointed.

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"Vaerraent" wrote:
Could you not simply attach the lasersight to the gun model and have it clip through the environment? That way, it would always follow the direction the gun sights are pointed.

I could, but most of the time the gun is pointed at the floor or the ceiling instead of where it will shoot when you press fire.

There are two ways of drawing the gun:

1. Use the view model which includes the hands and part of the arms, and is drawn where you are aiming with a laser sight. The problem with that is that you can't show the body or it will look like you have four arms.
2. Use the world model for the gun, which fits into the hands on your actual body model, and comes with a set of animations for the torso. The problem with that is that the weapon doesn't look as good, you can't see the ammo display on the weapon, and the animations usually have the gun aimed at the floor or ceiling except when you are firing.

Maybe what I can do is change which animation it uses, so you are always holding out the gun.

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
New version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101772879/Doom3BFG-VR3.zip

This version now configures automatically based on what HMD you have plugged in. It uses different .cfg files for different HMDs. So it's a lot more plug and play. You should still adjust the stereoRender_warpTargetFraction, and stereoRender_interoccularcentimeters console variables though. If you already set your Oculus Rift console variables up how you like, you will have to do it again after installing this.

It also fixes the head roll when you die, and has prediction that you can adjust with in_motionSensorPrediction.

Just extract it into your Doom 3 BFG folder, plug in your HMD, and run Doom3BFGRelease.exe. If you don't have a Rift, you can use the -vr command line parameter to force it to detect a Rift.

I don't have a Rift to test with, so if people want to have a look at my config files and improve them, feel free to post your changes.

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
OK, here's a newer version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101772879/Doom3BFG-VR4.zip
Extract it into your Doom 3 BFG directory.

This version finally supports other languages besides English. You don't need to do anything, it will detect what language version you have.

BTW: If you want to change languages, change languages from Steam the normal way. Start Steam, go to your library, right click Doom 3 BFG, choose properties, go to the language tab, choose whichever language you want (they all have full voice acting), and wait for it to download. When it has downloaded, run the Doom3BFGRelease.exe and it will be in that language.

LordJuanlo
Protege
Thanks! As a Spanish user I appreciate that!
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"LordJuanlo" wrote:
Thanks! As a Spanish user I appreciate that!

I know. You were one of the users I had in mind when I was doing it. 🙂

LordJuanlo
Protege
Hats-off to you, sir! 😄

By the way, it works perfectly, I played half an hour last night in Spanish with no problems.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

Conz
Explorer
Thank you for the latest patch.
It's working with German, too.

For me the laser sight is to distracting, I have set the values for it very low to hide the laser sight.
g_LaserSightLengt = 0.1
(default is "250")
g_LaserSightWidth = 0.01
(default is "2.0")

But it's very hard to hit the target now.
I would prefer a very small point on the surface of the target.

The g_fov = "100" is a little bit to wide, "90" is working much better for me.

With older versions I have had a crash at the terminal of the moving bridge. This one is fixed with your latest patch, too.

Nice work. 🙂