cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparently EA/Origin Credit Card system has been hacked...

captaintrips
Explorer
This HAD to happen just a week before they start shipping. 😞
Couple weeks back, I made a joking comment in a thread "they really should start charging payments before my credit card gets hacked again, as its happened almost every 90 days on the mark".
Guess I should have kept my mouth shut.

So I check my bank statement today, and sure enough, 4 unauthorized charges, totaling almost $150 from EA and Origin services (some duplicated) on my bank/credit card.

So I'm like "I didn't make these charges, wtf"... so I google them... and sure enough, thread after thread of recent posts about people with similar fraud, with far worse charges. Apparently EA/Origina wont acknowledge its a problem yet.

http://www.whatsthatcharge.com/ORIGIN-COM-EA-REDWOOD-CITY-CA

EITHER way, my credit card is disabled and I wont receive a replacement for several days. I pleaded with my bank to leave the card open and monitor any activity and just call me to approve it, but they refused, and would only shut down my card. They did acknowledge that they knew of this issue since as early as last week from other activity on other accounts. This close to shipping... damn it.

Only other method I can do until that card arrives is paypal. Guess my place in line is tossed out the window.

I'd advise everyone else here that uses EA/Origin to keep a very close eye on their CC accounts.
26 REPLIES 26

TheShawnster
Explorer
send a message to oculus with a different credit card, you can get pre payed and or cash on the go credit cards and ask oculus to change the credit card im sure they would love to help out

captaintrips
Explorer
"TheShawnster" wrote:
send a message to oculus with a different credit card, you can get pre payed and or cash on the go credit cards and ask oculus to change the credit card im sure they would love to help out

actually that's a really damn good idea. my bank was like "well we don't issue temporary cards, but your new one will be in within 7 business days... kthnxbye!"

might give that a try

TheShawnster
Explorer
also you should sign up for a prepayed mastercard they are way more reliable, cant take money that is not there...

well for online transactions anywase

NetNAVI
Honored Guest
Glad I've been haunting the forums watching for dk2 shipment info :lol: as soon as I spotted this I change my Origin password luckily I have no payment info linked thank you!

ThreeEyes
Explorer
Any systems that take credit card info need to be locked down tight as all hell. Sorry Trips. That sucks.

On the plus side (if there is a plus side), Cyber said people won't lose their place in line. Just watch for that e-mail for billing info and here/reddit for when people start posting about them hitting, and update ASAP.

But that does suck. Rift stress. Maybe someone should do a fraudulent credit card charge simulator...
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

Anonymous
Not applicable
Contact Oculus support, from everything I have read people get great responses from them and they are more than willing to help you.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You can contact Oculus support, but unfortunately we are not able to update or change payment information manually. However, we are working on a web page that will let customers do this themselves. Obviously there is not a lot of time left, but we are hoping to have this working soon.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

captaintrips
Explorer
Well that's my luck.

Order it as soon as I see the email, couldn't use paypal because paypal option wasnt working from the rush of people flooding the site so I had to use credit card (which this is why I hate doing it), LITERALLY wait for this week to come for months, checking my bank account everyday to make sure everythings good, and then, of course, the week that the the DK2 is supposed to ship.... boom, some jerk out there trolls me and steals my credit card and effectively eliminates me from being able to complete my order and just so happens to be THIS, of all weeks, and there's no apparent way to correct it (at least not yet).

Excuse me while I go jump off a cliff, gentlemen....

But in all seriousness, I'll just wait to hopefully get that "you card has been declined" email, and keep my fingers crossed that you guys are able to accept another card or method of payment at that time.

There is some dialbolical, evil force at play here trying to do everything it can to keep me from getting a DK2 in a timely manner. I'm certain of it.

:cry:

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
Damn...this scared the shit out of me. Just checked...all good so far. :?