cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparently EA/Origin Credit Card system has been hacked...

captaintrips
Explorer
This HAD to happen just a week before they start shipping. 😞
Couple weeks back, I made a joking comment in a thread "they really should start charging payments before my credit card gets hacked again, as its happened almost every 90 days on the mark".
Guess I should have kept my mouth shut.

So I check my bank statement today, and sure enough, 4 unauthorized charges, totaling almost $150 from EA and Origin services (some duplicated) on my bank/credit card.

So I'm like "I didn't make these charges, wtf"... so I google them... and sure enough, thread after thread of recent posts about people with similar fraud, with far worse charges. Apparently EA/Origina wont acknowledge its a problem yet.

http://www.whatsthatcharge.com/ORIGIN-COM-EA-REDWOOD-CITY-CA

EITHER way, my credit card is disabled and I wont receive a replacement for several days. I pleaded with my bank to leave the card open and monitor any activity and just call me to approve it, but they refused, and would only shut down my card. They did acknowledge that they knew of this issue since as early as last week from other activity on other accounts. This close to shipping... damn it.

Only other method I can do until that card arrives is paypal. Guess my place in line is tossed out the window.

I'd advise everyone else here that uses EA/Origin to keep a very close eye on their CC accounts.
26 REPLIES 26

michealv
Explorer
I also had a check, will be keeping a close eye on the account over the next couple weeks, thanks for posting this I wouldn't have known otherwise.
CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.8ghz (water-cooled) | GPU: G1 980ti 6gb | G.Skill Ripjaw's 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 28" Samsung LED 4k monitor (60hz display port) )

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So is Origin asking that you change your password because I never got an email from them?

michealv
Explorer
"lovethis" wrote:
So is Origin asking that you change your password because I never got an email from them?

Apparently they are refusing to acknowledge anything, I couldn't find much on it myself.
CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.8ghz (water-cooled) | GPU: G1 980ti 6gb | G.Skill Ripjaw's 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 28" Samsung LED 4k monitor (60hz display port) )

Alci
Honored Guest
Maybe it's not Origins fault then. You know, 95% of "hacked" accounts actually means people gave up name/password "willingly" because they don't follow basic rules. They don't even know that so the only only explanation is "magic" of hacking. That's how it is.

amegas
Explorer
Is there an official statement?

fabsterpal
Honored Guest
To be honest, this is all your fault. EA pump crap out like FIFA on a yearly basis and you except their servers to be secure? Bah!

Inditronic
Explorer
i dont know, you say it happens every 90 days to you. i also have a credit card and used it at many websites incl. origin and thinks like this never happened to me. you must do something wrong. maybe check how strong your password is.

RiftXdev
Explorer
I'm not changing my payment information. If the card happens to get hacked then I'm sure the bank will return my money. If Oculus can't bill the card I'm sure they'll ask me for another card which I'll give them.

I have a habit of not really worrying about things until I need to.
DK1 | DK2
"The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"

NegativeCamber
Honored Guest
I'm sure if Origin had really been hacked, we'd know about it seeing as they have millions of users.

Sounds like your card has been skimmed or the details were gotten elsewhere. It happens.

NegativeCamber
Honored Guest
"fabsterpal" wrote:
To be honest, this is all your fault. EA pump crap out like FIFA on a yearly basis and you except their servers to be secure? Bah!

No1, it's clearly not his fault, EA is a major publisher and you would expect them to keep cards secure.

No2, there is no proof Origin has been hacked.