cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greetings!

davidwyandgg
Explorer
Hello fellow Oculus Rift developers and enthusiasts! Looks like this might be the first post ever in the developer forums so I thought I would introduce myself.

I'm David Wyand, Head of Torque 3D development at GarageGames. Torque 3D is an open source game engine that is available from GitHub. You may find out some more about it here: http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d.

This year we've added Leap Motion controller support, and will push out Razer Hydra support this week. I look forward to integrating the Oculus Rift with Torque 3D and seeing what our community comes up with once the developer kit is released. We have a few Kickstarter supporters in our ranks (including myself) and we can't wait to get started!

- Dave
984 REPLIES 984

jackhuang89
Honored Guest
Hi everyone,

I am a programmer in Hong Kong.

waiting for DK2 shipping. pre-order on March. 😄

ivanhawkes
Honored Guest
Hey everyone!

I'm a programmer living in Australia. I used to write games and enjoy working with computers (back in the 80s), then I spent altogether too long writing business software. Illness meant I had to drop out of the industry. Now I am spending my time retraining, learning CryEngine, and trying to get well again (it's mental, I'm as crazy as glue).

Learning to write games again is great therapy ^^

spidermankey
Honored Guest
Hi,
I'm Matt and I recently got my degree in game art and design. I am just entranced by the rift and its potential. I cant wait to step into a world that I create and share that with others. The most exiting part, IMO, is the fact that we art exploring uncharted waters and pioneering an entirely new facet of entertainment. I have argued for years with friends and family over the artistic merit of games and now I can literally put them in the middle of it.
This new born VR dev community is amazing. I cant wait to get started.

ungoogleable
Honored Guest
Hello everyone,

I am an enthusiast in VR and being into the automotive industry in general, I could not resist what Assetto Corsa gave to us. I am also in to autocad and solidworks and I am strill trying to figure out a way to see DWG / FBX projects inside the oculus in a more palatable way, that means no UE4 or unity import... Anyway, reading the MTBS original post and now being here in such a short time is nothing short of amazing.

It feels that some great things are coming in every disciplines that I am in to. Architecture, automotive, gaming, cinema... It is so exciting to be alive today.

PS: for all those on Assetto Corsa right now, strap an aurora bass shaker directly to the chair AND the pedal box...

PS2: NOTHING IS CONFIRMED!

tg022011
Honored Guest
Hey guys! My name is TY Gu. I'm still a student and new to VR, but I tried my friend's Rift and was amazed!! Just want to join this forum to learn more about the Rift. Hopefully we can roll out some VR games in the future :).

Thanks,
TY

Ashles
Protege
Hi, My name's Ash and I'm an enthusiast in Brighton/London. Don't have a DK2 as yet but hoping to put in an order soon.

My background is in Experimental Pyschology (with a special interest in perceptual processes) and I also write film and TV scripts in my spare time (I have also published a novel).

My interest is in media (how films for VR will use different cinematography language, setup, editing, possibly even script formats and how it will be effective for different story types) and also for business applications (I work in Presentations).
I also think there is some very interesting psychological work that wil be done with VR as a mood stabiliser, self-image modifier, exposure treatment etc.
And I believe at its simplest it may be a wonderful chill-out device (just sitting on a raft at sea, or in a chalet by a ski resort, in the desert, in an oak panelled library, on mars...). Just need to work out how to create an in-world Kindle reader.

I also use parentheses too much (far too much : ) ).

I believe VR will be huge, with headsets appearing in every house gradually to start with, then more so over time. This is such an exciting time with so many possibilities untapped and unimagined.

My first steps are to understand the basic programming tools and 3d creation tools (SketchUp, Unity etc).
"Into every life a little fantasy must fall..."

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Hey all,

I have a Comp Sci background but haven't used it in any job since.
I'm the first in my circle of friends to buy any new gadget. I'll be bringing the rift out at parties or showing it off to family and friends whenever I get the chance. I bet most of us fall into this category.

I've been waiting for VR since I saw Dactyl Nightmare at the CNE sometime in 1990. I wasn't able to pony up the money to try it myself, but I was able to watch the TV's above participants and watch their reactions. Then, poof! It vanished from the mainstream for 20 years.

I'm a big fan of racing sims and Assetto Corsa is ready for the arrival of my Rift. My Playseat and G25 wheel are a lot less expensive than replacing rubber on a track car. Or replacing the car when things go sideways.

I work in aviation so I'm also looking forward to DCS World and War Thunder. Even a 3-screen setup feels like flying IFR compared to full immersion sims I've been able to use. I'm interested to see how the Rift compares with some of the multi-million dollar setups I've flown.

While I haven't done any serious programming in years, I'm excited to see the capabilities and limitations of this consumer-grade technology. The fact that the Norwegians have put the DK1 on a tank shows how new technology can lead to innovation. I have quite a few ideas bouncing around in my head so I'm excited to see how practical they are once I strap VR to my face. If you have the technical know how but are lacking inspiration please PM me!

Z
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

tizer2000uk
Honored Guest
Hey all,

I work in the Space industry and am looking at a number of applications where the Rift will be of great benefit.

I have long waited for the VR industry to reach a specification and price point that will drive the industry forward and am very excited to begin working on some exciting applications!

T

serothis
Honored Guest
Hi All

I'm a software developer in the banking industry. I work mostly with C++/sql. My first project with the OR will likely be making a mod for another game adding OR support.

-serothis

ianbruce
Honored Guest
Hi guys.

I'm Ian Bruce. I'm wrapping up an automotive gig in China, and looking forward to getting back into the VR scene.

I'd previously worked with Apple's Advanced Technology Group as part of the Worldboard team. Worldboard was a spec for using geo-coded real-world data with with Augmented Reality devices. My responsibilities were system user interface, application concept development, and the AR hardware device itself. This was in the late 1990's, and needless to say, the program was far ahead of its time -- a little too far.

I've also been been a keynote presenter at technology conferences on the subjects of immersive simulation and human interface design. A few people here may remember the VR Expos in NYC. That seems like such a long time ago... I still have 2 sets of LEEP optics given to me by Eric Howlett back in 1998.

I'm very grateful to Palmer Lucky, Oculus, and Moore's Law for bringing this technology back to the fore. Cheers.