Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom 3 BFG Edition

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
Latest version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101772879/Doom3BFG-VR4.zip

---------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know what's happening with iD software and Oculus regarding Doom 3 BFG. And I don't know when we get our $20 steam vouchers to help buy Doom 3 BFG.

But we've been working on adding Oculus Rift support to the source code, since it's open source (except the Bink video playback). Our Rift's haven't arrived yet though, so it's a bit hacky.

We've got head-tracking working, but we haven't fixed the shaders or rendering for the 7" yet. Head tracking should work for real Rifts or for Hillcrest trackers.

Download (old version):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/101772879/Doom3BFGTracking.zip

Source:
https://github.com/tmek/DOOM-3-BFG-VR
464 REPLIES 464

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
I think sometimes the debug version crashes when assertions fail (not my fault, I think). The Release version is probably more stable if you get crashes with the debug version.

You can turn off your body, and have the weapon and laser sight back to normal, with the console command: pm_showBody 0

Conz
Explorer
The crash is fixed with the V.4.
Never tested the debug, only played the release.

I like the body and the new weapon position.
Only the laser was on the old position and not on the gun. The flying laser was to ugly, that's why I have scaled the laser sight down to invisible.

feuerhahn
Honored Guest
Is there any solution yet for the borders? I can see the, especially when I look centered but concentrate on the borders. Any command for this?

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"feuerhahn" wrote:
Is there any solution yet for the borders? I can see the, especially when I look centered but concentrate on the borders. Any command for this?

Set stereoRender_warpTargetFraction to something between 0 and 1. It defaults now to 0.86 so set it higher than that.

codes
Honored Guest
"2EyeGuy" wrote:
"feuerhahn" wrote:

Set stereoRender_warpTargetFraction to something between 0 and 1. It defaults now to 0.86 so set it higher than that.

I have the same problem, even if I set the warptargetfraction all the way up to 1, I can easily see the outer edges of the rendered image, particularly when looking ahead.

Also the red laser beam is pointing out from my eye position instead of from the gun.

Overall these are minor quibbles really for the amazing experience you've managed to add in so far!
Really looking forward to more great work on this! keep it up!

Tankshell
Protege
Hi guys,

What's the best way to improve IQ with this? Does it play nice with AA or downsampling? Compared to my Half Life 2 play-though I seem to notice the jaggies in this quite a bit more...
2500k@4.5Ghz EVGA 780Ti SC 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Win 8.1 x64

IGameArt
Protege
Hey guys, just had a pretty interesting idea to improve the barrel warping of doom, since i've not had my rift yet, i've actually paid a lot of attention to how the warping works, and to me it looks a good deal different than the rest, with the top, bottom, and sides of the image clipped. So here's my idea. In the console, disable the barrel warping, but still keep the game in full sbs 3d mode, then launch the rift overlay application, found at this LINK

I've not tested it just yet, but i am about to. Hopefully this will remove the clipped borders of the screen, and thereby increase perceived fov from within the rift itself.

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
Been playing this in short bursts for the past couple of weeks and I'm really enjoying playing Doom 3 with the Rift. I recorded a little 15 minute video a couple of days ago as part of my ongoing series of blog posts chronicling my Rift experiences:

http://martincaine.com/gaming/day_fourteen_with_the_oculus_rift_doom_3_footage

There's a download link for the source 1280x800x60 mp4 there if anyone wants to check out the vid on their Rift 🙂

spyro
Expert Protege
"MartinCaine" wrote:
http://martincaine.com/gaming/day_fourteen_with_the_oculus_rift_doom_3_footage

There's a download link for the source 1280x800x60 mp4 there if anyone wants to check out the vid on their Rift 🙂

Woohoo! Now THAT what I call a proper VR video! 🙂

Considering the game: The enemies are looking a little small in VR, but I guess you cannot change that. What wonders me more: Why do you waste so much space of the screen? What's the technical reason for that?

spyro

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
I'm guessing you don't yet have a Rift? The actual portion of the screen that you can focus on is pretty much contained within the area that Doom 3 is rendering to here. I also had similar thoughts when I first got my Rift, especially when comparing how the Tuscany demo renders compared to Team Fortress 2.

TF2 (and Half-Life 2) both use slightly less of the screen than the Tuscany demo does. If you run the vr_calibration test in TF2 it shows the extents of where you can focus on the screen (though if you look directly forward you can see outside these lines in the periphery (but only very slightly):

I believe part of the reason for this wasted screen space is down to the devkits using a 7 inch screen where the lenses were designed for use with a 5 inch screen? If you were using a 5 inch screen you would be rendering to a much greater percentage of the total screen space.