cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

guygodin
Protege
"zephyx" wrote:
My job at the moment is IT Administration, doing everything from server setup and maintenance to remote desktop sessions for individual clients needing assistance with a wide range of problems. For a program like this, is it feasible to create multiple desktops? For instance, at several points during my day I have 4+ remote sessions going, would it be possible to create 4 windows that I could simply look around to view and work on them simultaneously? Obviously there would need to be at least a way to detect the active window and what not, but at this point I have no real understanding if such a functionality is even possible. Though it would be immensely useful if it were.

It looks like Microsoft has a Remote Desktop Services API (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383459(v=vs.85).aspx) so I think developing something like you describe is certainly feasible. You have to understand though that with current HMD resolutions, being able to read a single monitor in 3D space is already painful. If you wanted to display 4 of them, each one would get about 200x200 pixels on the DK2 which would make it impossible to read or decipher anything (to get an idea, take a screenshot of your desktop with Print Screen and resize it down to 200x200).

Zephyx
Honored Guest
Ahh alright, still much appreciated for the response, glad to know the idea is feasible at least. Who knows, maybe I can find some method to make the idea work. I actually do have a few ideas, however testing will have to wait till I learn a bit more coding and have a kit to test them 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
So something I am wondering about. Since I have been using this program to see what games work well with it, I was wondering is there a way to hook my PS3 directly to the PC and somehow broadcast my PS3 Video into a program on windows desktop?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"schnappy" wrote:
So something I am wondering about. Since I have been using this program to see what games work well with it, I was wondering is there a way to hook my PS3 directly to the PC and somehow broadcast my PS3 Video into a program on windows desktop?

I guess if you use a video capture card this might work. I haven't looked into them recently but used to use an s-video one a good while back. I'm sure they must have moved on and you can get HDMI inputs now!?

Acaideus
Honored Guest
Is there anyway I can help test to get this running on the Dk2? I will be getting mine on Wednesday.

guygodin
Protege
Working on it, should be releasing a new version supporting DK2 later tonight :3

Acaideus
Honored Guest
Hell yeah! You're doing gods work good sir!

Face9
Honored Guest
Loving it, very handy and saves lots of "Make this my primary monitor" swapping, thanks!
Works nicely on DK2, though the posi forward/backward tracking is reversed for me 😉

gray
Honored Guest
Win7 64 bit now throws an error. Previous version worked.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Virtual Desktop.exe
Application Version: 1.0.40.0
Application Timestamp: 53d36cea
Fault Module Name: MSVCR120.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.0.21005.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 524f83ff
Exception Code: c000001d
Exception Offset: 0000000000095c01
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: af8f
Additional Information 2: af8fcf0a4d9cbbd1d77c07d77926ae58
Additional Information 3: 2d11
Additional Information 4: 2d11870264f2882d5a62e899621dc9ca

EDIT: If DK2 is off then the program will start, switching the HMD on then crashes the app. Note that direct mode is not working at present for me in any apps. This may be the cause.

guygodin
Protege
"face9" wrote:
Loving it, very handy and saves lots of "Make this my primary monitor" swapping, thanks!
Works nicely on DK2, though the posi forward/backward tracking is reversed for me 😉

Doh! I'll have this fixed shortly

"gray" wrote:
Win7 64 bit now throws an error. Previous version worked.
EDIT: If DK2 is off then the program will start, switching the HMD on then crashes the app. Note that direct mode is not working at present for me in any apps. This may be the cause.

Thanks for reporting it. Direct mode doesn't work for me either so right now VD only supports extended mode. It shouldn't be crashing though. Do you get a message box with a description of the error when it crashes? Another way to get more info would be to look at the event logs in control panel->administrative tools.