cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Printing the DK1 Case

Luciferous
Consultant
There was something about the original design of the Oculus DK1 Case, I know there are more sturdy cases out there but by the looks of it everything from the DK2 will fit nicely into the DK1 case.

If Oculus are no longer interested in supplying us with a case maybe they could give us the DK1 case design, so we could print it off at a 3D printing company.

I would print mine in white with a Black Oculus logo and just a simple black trim on the lid.
12 REPLIES 12

hellary
Protege
3D printing a whole carry case of that size would cost a fortune!

Luciferous
Consultant
"hellary" wrote:
3D printing a whole carry case of that size would cost a fortune!

As much as a 780TI ? 😄

kingzope
Protege
Most likely I'll just get a case that fits the cardboard case dimensions.
DK1 Order No: 574XX (US) Status: Received DK2 Order No: GP-1055XXX Status: Received CV1 Order No:6130000XXXXXXX Status: Received Oculus Go Status: Received

Luciferous
Consultant
I was looking on Shapeways and some are expensive but is that just because whoever designed it is trying to make a good profit?

Luciferous
Consultant
"kingzope" wrote:
Most likely I'll just get a case that fits the cardboard case dimensions.

I presume if you had the design you could adjust the dimensions to fit the foam that comes inside the DK2 cardboard box.

aiwaldmeister
Honored Guest
So, now one of the lucky guys already having their DK2 should post exact dimensions of the inside of the cardboard-box.
Then the case-hunters can start their epic quest to find the perfect-fitting, cheap, cool-looking stable case. 😄

Luciferous
Consultant
"aiwaldmeister" wrote:
So, now one of the lucky guys already having their DK2 should post exact dimensions of the inside of the cardboard-box.
Then the case-hunters can start their epic quest to find the perfect-fitting, cheap, cool-looking stable case. 😄

Good call 😄

I'm not sure how practical my idea is, never having 3D printed anything before.

kingzope
Protege
"aiwaldmeister" wrote:

I 100% agree with this. Please someone post exact dimensions lol.
DK1 Order No: 574XX (US) Status: Received DK2 Order No: GP-1055XXX Status: Received CV1 Order No:6130000XXXXXXX Status: Received Oculus Go Status: Received

ThreeEyes
Explorer
"luciferous" wrote:
I'm not sure how practical my idea is, never having 3D printed anything before.

It's pretty expensive since you are paying for volume of product. You could build in integral cool logos and designs, though. Dividers and such. But it is pricy.

I had Shapeways print the base of a 6 tube NIXIE clock and it was $175. It looked really nice though. I would bet to print a carry case for the DK2 would probably be in the $2-300 range easy.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock: