New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Warning Screen

EisernSchildEisernSchild Posts: 198
Art3mis
edited July 2014 in General
Hi,

since i read a posting here about getting Motion sickness i thought we could work out a warning Screen to use in all Rift games including every eligible warning for Rift-gaming.

Something like :
" Warnings : * immediately stop playing if You feel any of the following symptoms: - Headaches, dizziness, nausea, heavy sweating, excessive production of saliva "

This also could include warnings about having enough room to Play, no open fire, no risky fixtures around,...andsoon

I think about something like a Standard like XBox is using for Kinect gaming.

Comments

  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    If you are using the word "screen" while talking about a Rift game, you are doing it wrong!!! There is no screen! The user is inside a world looking around, with no screen anywhere in sight. We all need to get the idea of "screens" out of our head completely. There can be no warning screens, title screens, menu screens, loading screens, pause screens, etc. If you forget that, and try to make a screen, you not only kill the immersion, you also make the player motion sick.

    Designing for the Rift is like designing for the real world, not like designing an experience on a screen. So, think about what you do in the real world when you want to warn someone about something. You could have a person tell them, or have a big warning sign on the wall where they will walk past or see it, or have hazard stripes or warning lights or announcements, or hand them a piece of paper with safety information, or set up a TV for them with a safety video on it.

    That's how you need to be thinking.

    I'm not sure how much of a warning PC players will put up with every time they start every game though. Especially if it is exactly the same in every game.
  • ftarnogolftarnogol Posts: 139
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is the disclaimer screen I'm using. Thoughts?

    561351_176538379166583_13408046_n.png

    PS: Some part of the text is missing due to the forum engine cropping it. You'll have to open the img in a new tab to see an uncropped version.
  • StanleyPStanleyP Posts: 25
    ftarnogol wrote:
    This is the disclaimer screen I'm using. Thoughts?

    Seems a bit much. Personally I don't have a personal doctor to watch me when I use my Rift. However, in the case of disclaimers it's better to be safe than sorry.

    Sony updated the PS3 in the early days just to include an epilepsy disclaimer when you boot it up. Apparently there's no real link between playing games and induced seizures http://www.epilepsy.com/info/family_kids_video

    I'd just mention that it's possible that playing a VR game can make you nauseous and if you encounter any such feelings you should stop playing and remove the headset immediately. Also limit play time.

    However, as I previously said, it's better to be safe than sorry, you don't want to get your ass sued just because someone felt queasy.
  • ftarnogolftarnogol Posts: 139
    Hiro Protagonist
    I agree with you 100%.

    Specially since I intend to use AMVR in a clinical setting, the risk of lawsuits is a constant threat... if I were developing a game, I'd just stick to a regular "nausea and epilepsy" disclaimer.
  • FlameHazeFlameHaze Posts: 84
    2EyeGuy wrote:
    If you are using the word "screen" while talking about a Rift game, you are doing it wrong!!! There is no screen! The user is inside a world looking around, with no screen anywhere in sight. We all need to get the idea of "screens" out of our head completely. There can be no warning screens, title screens, menu screens, loading screens, pause screens, etc. If you forget that, and try to make a screen, you not only kill the immersion, you also make the player motion sick.

    I believe valve constructed a simple 2D User Interface for adjusting X and Y axies positioning on the two halves of the display for TF2 in VR. It can be done, and won't have to be displayed for a large amount of time. Also, it won't ruin immersion if the message is displayed before gameplay actually starts like most health and safety messages in gaming.

    Also, as immersive as the Rift is, as a developer you cannot simply deny the presence of the display. Especially when considering resolution, switching time and such.

    To everyone else: I'm pretty sure Oculus will have all the official legal / health and safety work figured out and done for the consumer product. The most useful input from us will likely be data on your experience. Have you felt motion sickness, dizziness, nausea, or any other strange symptoms when using the Rift? How long were you playing for? How long did the effects take to cease? Questions like that will need to be asked.
  • StanleyPStanleyP Posts: 25
    FlameHaze wrote:
    2EyeGuy wrote:
    If you are using the word "screen" while talking about a Rift game, you are doing it wrong!!! There is no screen! The user is inside a world looking around, with no screen anywhere in sight. We all need to get the idea of "screens" out of our head completely. There can be no warning screens, title screens, menu screens, loading screens, pause screens, etc. If you forget that, and try to make a screen, you not only kill the immersion, you also make the player motion sick.

    I believe valve constructed a simple 2D User Interface for adjusting X and Y axies positioning on the two halves of the display for TF2 in VR. It can be done, and won't have to be displayed for a large amount of time. Also, it won't ruin immersion if the message is displayed before gameplay actually starts like most health and safety messages in gaming.

    Also, as immersive as the Rift is, as a developer you cannot simply deny the presence of the display. Especially when considering resolution, switching time and such.

    To everyone else: I'm pretty sure Oculus will have all the official legal / health and safety work figured out and done for the consumer product. The most useful input from us will likely be data on your experience. Have you felt motion sickness, dizziness, nausea, or any other strange symptoms when using the Rift? How long were you playing for? How long did the effects take to cease? Questions like that will need to be asked.

    Good point, well made. I +1 that.
  • EisernSchildEisernSchild Posts: 198
    Art3mis
    Youre absolutely right to say that the rift will be a new form of a "screen". I just think that there are actuallly some specifications about that very Point about pre-gaming warnings... so it would be fine if we could akt with that now since we have time for it (since most of us currently wait for getting a rift...) ;-)
  • EisernSchildEisernSchild Posts: 198
    Art3mis
    ftarnogol wrote:
    This is the disclaimer screen I'm using. Thoughts?

    561351_176538379166583_13408046_n.png

    PS: Some part of the text is missing due to the forum engine cropping it. You'll have to open the img in a new tab to see an uncropped version.

    Dear ftarnogol !

    Youre the very best adress regarding that question ! I thought that there actually could be some specifications about pre-game-warnings when using HMD. Did You have any sort of Guidelines for that warning/attention Screen ? (sorry if my english doesnt hit the core Point...)
  • ftarnogolftarnogol Posts: 139
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi @EisernSchild,

    Nope, I didn't use any guidelines. I just used my base knowledge of what can trigger physiological/psychological responses and extrapolated an educated guess (based on Rift/VR usage, since I don't have my Rift yet) about what problems/liabilities we could face down the road when "devving" for VR.
  • SamiadSamiad Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Definitely covering all angles when you say 'could cause death'

    ;)

    (thinking about it some more, I think everyone alive is vulnerable to death...)
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    You use lots of text if you want to CYA legally, but if you actually want to help people then I suggest any warning be kept short and sweet (but not scary).

    keep-well-and-make-room.png
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • EisernSchildEisernSchild Posts: 198
    Art3mis
    So, that should do it :
    CautionScreen_zps9a47a7cc.png
    (partially cropped...just do copy->paste)
  • thanks a lot guys. :roll:
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    thanks a lot guys. :roll:
    In what universe did you think there wouldn't be a warning?
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • jwilkins wrote:
    thanks a lot guys. :roll:
    In what universe did you think there wouldn't be a warning?

    Is that supposed to be an argument?
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    No argument.

    I am curious what the warning screen says since I haven't found where anybody has posted it yet.
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • DyA9wbA.png

    Yeah that's right it now appears every time the app is started. If you're actually developing instead of playing an already existing game you'll see the damn thing every compile/test cycle.

    Oh and from what it looks like it's in the runtime binary.
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    Seems reasonable.


    The warning that is, not that developers cannot disable it. That should be fixed.
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • jwilkins wrote:
    Seems reasonable.


    The warning that is, not that developers cannot disable it. That should be fixed.

    Glad you agree.
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    I took your comment as blaming me and the other guys for bringing this up before. Now I realize you talking to Oculus, lol.

    I'm glad the warning is so much more tame than anything people thought up here!
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • I can't really blame any of you, but there was a little of a sarcastic hint. :lol:
  • CactusblahCactusblah Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    A one-time warning screen is enough, if any. Please don't make me sit through a warning screen for every use.
  • MrMonkeybatMrMonkeybat Posts: 640
    Brain Burst
    A simple short warning covering all legal cases:

    "This device should not be used by anyone"
  • VylenVylen Posts: 209
    For the development purposes I think you can disable the screen or even replace it entirely with your own. I recall seeing something like that in the SDK documentation.
  • CheesekeeperCheesekeeper Posts: 190
    Art3mis
    Surgeon General's Warning: If you experience any of the following symptoms please take an immediate break, or consult your Coroner.

    total+recall+explosive+decompression.jpg
  • GygaxGygax Posts: 208
    NerveGear
    get your ass to mars.. get your ass to mars.. get your ass to mars..
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    The one issue that I see is that this is going to be one of those "PITA" things that will dissuade people from even using it. To counter our laziness, I would do the following:

    During installation / configuration of the initial Rift setup, add the warning there, with the line, "By continuing installation, the end user acknowledges that they read the warnings" or something. Then, don't display it again.

    Let the developers add in their specific warnings, etc.. for when their game launches. This should be a "best practices" guideline. Oculus could distribute a generic warning label, but allow the developers to customize it if they so wish.
Sign In or Register to comment.