cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAWKEN..

RiftXdev
Explorer
Remember Hawken? And remember the disappointment after what it touted when DK1 came out?

It seems to have fallen off of the VR landscape after it flopped on the DK1, but DK2 may be it's time. Has anyone heard or read anything about HAWKEN and DK2?

I'd love to hear they are at least compiling the new SDK into it when it's released, that'd be fun with a higher res DK2 even without the positional tracking it might be playable at a competitive level now.
DK1 | DK2
"The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"
26 REPLIES 26

amenconi
Honored Guest
"RiftXdev" wrote:
I just sent them a support ticket as I couldn't find anything on the net or their forums yet about DK2 integration.

I'll post up if I get any response.

Good idea, I'll do the same. I remember installing it since it was offered for free on Steam but I've never actually ran the game yet. Would love to test it out on the DK2.

CaliberMengsk
Explorer
Yeah, past support has sucked, and from what I've heard from the devs (a couple months ago) there's practically no development on the VR side of hawken, though it does "technically" support it, it's not very good. If I remember right, the main rift developer for hawken was struck by a car and died, and that's when rift support pretty much stopped. Sad way for the development to stop.

I also don't see support for sdk .4 to be implemented any time soon as hawken is unreal 3, and there isn't any built in support for the rift with ue3. (And because the devs at unreal don't care about backwards comparability at all , it's not likely that they will ever update to ue4 as it'd take practically rebuilding the game from scratch besides art.)

Unfortunately, I foresee rift support in hawken always being limted. It's just not big enough of a consumer base for them to worry about when they are having trouble keeping the userbase they already have. (most of the high hitters, alpha, and closed beta testers {myself included} have left hawken cause it's just feels like they aren't really worried about what the userbase says, and updates come out so slowly without any mention of what they are doing. Feels like they are stuck in the AAA game devs trying to be indie.)

I'll try to chat up a few of the devs in the irc and see if they can say anything about it. (A lot of the time, they can't tell us much)

Anonymous
Not applicable
"CaliberMengsk" wrote:
Unfortunately, I foresee rift support in hawken always being limted. It's just not big enough of a consumer base for them to worry about when they are having trouble keeping the userbase they already have. (most of the high hitters, alpha, and closed beta testers {myself included} have left hawken cause it's just feels like they aren't really worried about what the userbase says, and updates come out so slowly without any mention of what they are doing. Feels like they are stuck in the AAA game devs trying to be indie.)

I started playing Hawken just for the Rift support. And I quit playing because it sucked. The only way they're getting me to play again is if Rift DK2 and beyond was added and it was good. They can do whatever they want with this kind of information because I don't care. There will be enough Rift enabled games anyway.

I feel that once Rifted you cannot go back. The few games I've tried, and that works great, it just seem boring to play them again without the Rift. Anybody else have the same way?

outofphaseicaru
Honored Guest
You could see my nerdboner from space if they added DK2 support to Hawken. It is by far my favorite game, and I would absolutely love if they added support. Honestly the rift was MADE to support cockpit style games like Hawken, and I think with some work they could be a premier title for VR going forward. They would be silly not to pour everything they had into it.
DK2: Shipped New Build completed NOOB and not ashamed 🙂

CaliberMengsk
Explorer
"outofphaseicarus" wrote:
They would be silly not to pour everything they had into it.

More the opposite. They are a small company, and vr is still an unknown. Even if VR takes off pretty quickly, it's still going to be a while before it is in most homes and has systems that can actually handle it. There's no reason what so ever to rush to vr and hope that it's what saves your game. To do so would be reckless.

firstdayreviews
Honored Guest
I would love to see what it looks like with a DK2, never played hawken but its sitting in my steam library waiting for the DK2 haha

I had the chance to play Mechwarrior Online with the Rift, that was very cool. Im looking forward to more mech based games for the DK2
Join me on facebook and youtube to win free games monthly! Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/fdreviews Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/fdreviews

JohnnyChaos
Honored Guest
Hawken was the game that sold the rift to me after playing it on the HD prototypes at a games show. It ran and looked amazing.
I was so disappointed when I got the dk1 and tried it at home.

If it never properly worked where did those demos come from?

CaliberMengsk
Explorer
"Johnnychaos" wrote:
If it never properly worked where did those demos come from?

Same place most tech demos come from, internal builds. Hawken has also showcased a new form of physx with highly destructible environments, but the devs have already told me directly that it's not likely to make it into any official release as it requires really high end systems, and near none of the user base has a system or network powerful enough to really run it. (For this type of game, you actually have to update the destructibles if they stay in the scene, cause otherwise a sniper may see you, but there's no way to see the sniper cause your system did the physics differently)

More then likely the demos also had an older version of the sdk, or quite possibly could have been coded directly without even the sdk. If I recall right, the guy that was doing the rift dev for hawken was also helping build the sdk, so there could have been unsupported features that he added directly himself.

randprint
Honored Guest
I'm going to go with the unpopular opinion, I played Hawken before I noticed Oculus. I had a good time with it just playing on a monitor. I always did like battletech/robotech/mechwarrior tho, there's been a void of games like that for a while. Will have to try it out with the DK2 if possible.

matskatsaba
Adventurer
Wonder if this counts to be necroposting...

<edit: downsizing wall-of-text>
Yeah soley HAWKEN sold the DK2 to me too. Downloaded, installed, set up and epicfail.
It's a little disappointing that the devs still alive appearently don't really give crap about the highlight of the game (Let's face it, if hawken wasn't highlighting oculus support, 80% of the current players wouldn't even know about it).
I understand that the game has bugs that need to be fixed but to lots of people Rift support counts to be THE selling point of the game.
It's close to 6 months now, haven't even heard about ANY update to the game EVER, fixes, patches neither, so I'm at the point of uninstalling it, I don't like steam either so at least can remove that too.

Theoretically the hawken team doesn't prioritize the oculus support over anything else because "the rift users would be only a minor portion of the playerbase" , but seeing how the population becoming extinct, I'm pretty sure LOTS of those 40`000+ oculus "backers" would have played, if nothing else then for the fact that it's working (see the example of Elite: Dangerous, its a judderfest around space stations and people still enjoy playing it).

Yeah I know this post was relatively pointless, but if nothing else, people who still hope for a sudden change can see from this post that the sudden change hasn't happened yet and won't happen this year either.

Rest in peace, adhesive games, will always remember you as the very first epicfail in Oculus games.
Ok no. Probably I will forget the name in a few days, had to google developer and publisher to make this post too.