Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
Reddit Thread: reddit.com/.../star_trek_voyager_elite_force_for_oculus_rift/
Progress Updates: martincaine.com/tags/elite_force

I've been working on adding Oculus support in to my own engine which was pretty straight forward. Unfortunately I don't think my game Positron is well suited to the Rift however my helicopter game Critical Strike and racing game Shadow Racers both are. I'll be releasing demos of those later in the summer when the games are a little more fleshed out.

In the mean-time I've been looking in to learning Unity to knock together some small OR demos but to be honest I don't have the time to be learning Unity right now (I'm a professional game developer by day working with C++/Java/Obj-C and OpenGL/DirectX).

Seeing some of these older games getting support for the Rift got me thinking about some of my own favourite games. Many years ago one of the first games I ever played online was Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. Those who played it online knew there was a strong following for the game and a very dedicated pool of players who enlisted in clans (or fleets) and we played matches regularly for many years.

The game's source code was released a long time ago (but only the VM which ran the Star Trek specific stuff on top of Quake 3), but there's also a version someone put together to work with ioQuake3. Using these two open source codebases I should have everything I need to start putting in stereoscopic rendering and then hook in the Oculus SDK. I've downloaded the source already and over the next few days will be building it and making sure it all still compiles in VS2010 (since the projects originally would've been using VC6).

I've started this thread to keep everyone updated with my progress. I would love to see this game in the Rift and there are thousands of community made maps for the game, some with whole ships to explore. I think this is going to be a relatively easy thing to get working and look forward to sharing it with everyone :). It's very early days for this modification but I really want to see this in the Rift and I hope it'll appeal to others too even if you've not played the game before.

If anyone is not familiar with the game, here are a few screenshots (this game was released in 2000 using a modified Quake 3 engine):

23 REPLIES 23

brianbraatz
Honored Guest
OMG I wish I had tons of spare time to help you..

this is REALLY Awesome..

Would love to wander around the decks of voyager in a rift..

do you have the code up anywhere on likwe codeplex or anything like that?

Maybe I could find some time to help- if nothning else I will CHEER you on!

Thanks!

Brian

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
As I said I've only just begun this project and all I've done so far is download the ioQuake source and EF 1.3.7 code (which extends ioQuake to be able to load multiplayer EF maps). I'll likely put it up on my SVN on my site in the next week and don't think it'll take long to get it actually rendering in the Rift to some extent 🙂

drash
Heroic Explorer
Very interested. I remember reading through this thick nerdy book on the layout, schematics, and inner workings of various Enterprise starships. Would be really great to "see it in person" to better get an idea of how it's all put together! 🙂

Let us know how it goes.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

BigRobCoder
Explorer
"MartinCaine" wrote:
...the ioQuake source and EF 1.3.7 code (which extends ioQuake to be able to load multiplayer EF maps)...

As you mentioned above, the current ioquake3 EF port only supports multiplayer maps, do you intend to add support for single player? Or are you going to start by adding Rift support, then look into single player? Either way, I'm very interested in following this project!

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
For now I just plan to look at getting the holomatch working since the full source is there ready to edit. The Single Player VM code was also released a while back but will need a little work to get it working with ioQuake3.

Right now I just plan to do the following over the next week (in my spare time in the evenings):

1. Get EF 1.3.7 compiling with latest ioQuake3 source.
2. Get it rendering in stereoscopic mode.
3. Compile in the Oculus SDK.
4. Get views properly offset through HMD properties.
5. Hook in head movement code.
6. Add some console vars to adjust IPD and lens type used.
7. Get the view warping correctly, will likely render the scene to an intermediate buffer and process this afterwards in my own code.

I think each of these steps are going to be pretty easy to implement except for the first, EF 1.3.7 is a little old now so it's not guaranteed to work with the absolute latest ioQuake3 source but it shouldn't be too hard to get it running if there are any issues. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress in here. I hope by this time next week I'll at least have it rendering in the Rift :).

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
Only had a small amount of time to work on this yesterday. Got ioQuake3 compiling just fine and have the patches ready for ioSTVEF to look at tonight. Working this weekend so likely not going to have much time on it for the next few days either. Will keep everyone updated with my progress 🙂

MrGeddings
Explorer
you the same guy who did the reddit post on your new tshirt and poster? Good work cant wait to try it out. some way to disable the HUD would be nice too if you just want to look around (i.e. with virtual voyager and stuffs)

MartinCaine
Honored Guest
Yeah that's me :-p. I will be disabling the HUD and weapons by default but plan to add those back in with proper Rift support at a later date. The aim right now is just to get it working with the Rift's SDK 🙂

MannyLectro
Explorer
You, sir, are my god ! Can't wait to walk on the voyager bridge.
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514