cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

mrjazz
Honored Guest
This application only works correctly when set to "flat". When using the "floating"-option the head-rotation is messed up, especially when repositioned to a location far from the neutral one. The "curved"-option messes up the head-rotation even more, as the screen is almost stuck to the head.
Watch panoramic 3D photos, videos and do FPV-flying with LiveViewRift! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11001

InteriorD
Honored Guest
Hi there,

I've tested VD with my DK2 and found a few problems:

The first is that head tracking is reversed, whereas head rotation is not. Stepping to the left results in the screen moving to the right, while looking left works as it should.

Another issue is that the health warning shows up a second time while using the control panel for VD and cannot be closed.

I have 2 monitors, and only my primary desktop shows up. It would be really cool if you could add multi-monitor support and a tool to arrange the monitors as you wish.

guygodin
Protege
"InteriorD" wrote:

The first is that head tracking is reversed, whereas head rotation is not. Stepping to the left results in the screen moving to the right, while looking left works as it should.

Thanks for reporting this, yesterday I fixed forward/backward and today left/right is wrong haha, hard to test without a DK2! This should now be fixed!
"InteriorD" wrote:

Another issue is that the health warning shows up a second time while using the control panel for VD and cannot be closed.

this is a bug/annoyance with the new SDK, the warning will re-appear if you switch from curved screen to either flat or floating. It should disappear after a couple seconds. Oculus is aware and hopefully this will get fixed in the next SDK.
"InteriorD" wrote:

I have 2 monitors, and only my primary desktop shows up. It would be really cool if you could add multi-monitor support and a tool to arrange the monitors as you wish.

This is the next feature on my list!

InteriorD
Honored Guest
Glad to be of help! I look forward to seeing the next release

VRCitizen
Honored Guest
"InteriorD" wrote:

I've tested VD with my DK2 and found a few problems:
Stepping to the left results in the screen moving to the right

In real life if I step to the left of my monitor, the monitor moves to the right (relative to me). Isn't that how it should work? I'm confused.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyway to maybe get Opentrack or some kind of headtracking to work separate from this app? I was using this program to play GTA IV in windowed mode with all the ENB mods (looks fantastic ) and while curved mode does help the immersion if I could get headtracking to work with the game also that would be amazing!

gray
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:

"gray" wrote:
Win7 64 bit now throws an error. Previous version worked.
EDIT: If DK2 is off then the program will start, switching the HMD on then crashes the app. Note that direct mode is not working at present for me in any apps. This may be the cause.

Thanks for reporting it. Direct mode doesn't work for me either so right now VD only supports extended mode. It shouldn't be crashing though. Do you get a message box with a description of the error when it crashes? Another way to get more info would be to look at the event logs in control panel->administrative tools.

Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Date: 29/07/2014 17:50:38
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: admin
Description:
Application: Virtual Desktop.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
Stack:
at SharpOVR.OVR.ovrHmd_Create(Int32)
at SharpOVR.OVR.ovrHmd_Create(Int32)
at SharpOVR.OVR.HmdCreate(Int32)
at VirtualDesktop.Engine.Game.Initialize()
at VirtualDesktop.MainWindow.GameLoop()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 29/07/2014 17:50:38
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: admin
Description:
Faulting application name: Virtual Desktop.exe, version: 1.0.40.0, time stamp: 0x53d36cea
Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524f83ff
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000095c01
Faulting process id: 0x1538
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfab4d397a0d49
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop\Virtual Desktop.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\MSVCR120.dll
Report Id: 776a8fa0-1740-11e4-b05f-005056c00008

endlessorigami
Honored Guest
Unfortunately I get this error when trying to launch the application.

albino
Honored Guest
I have the same problem as fellow poster endlessorigami

guygodin
Protege
"endlessorigami" wrote:

Are you running on Windows 7? Do you have DirectX11 installed?

Gray
It looks like the VC runtimes are not installed properly. They should be installed when you run setup.exe, can you install them from here (both x86, x64) and try again?