cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

small
Honored Guest
Hi Guygodin,

Just tried your software on the DK2 that was delivered this morning and it worked right away. I have to say: THANK YOU. It's amazing when you get to see your desktop like it's a 200" screen.
Movies play at a perfect framerate, but i do get a stuttering motion when i move my head to look at other corners of my desktop. Is that a known issue? Do you happen to know a solution?

Great work, thanks again,

Small

I'm afraid i get no rift detected when it's switched off or on. App doesn't start up at all.

Uninstalled and reinstalled.

Extended desktop and DK1 legacy ticked in config tool.

Windows 7 x64.

?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

guygodin
Protege
small
This is an issue with the OVRService (SDK 0.4.0) and Oculus is working on it. Thanks for your feedback!

Andy
Do you see the Rift in your display settings in windows? Do other demos work?

photonstorm
Honored Guest
Tried this out today on my DK2 and all I see is a message saying "Virtual Desktop - Get the full experience with Windows 8" (I'm running Win7). I swapped my display to be horizontal, so the text appears fine and I can look around and see lots of black space - but no mouse pointer (no matter where I move the mouse) and no other icons or similar.

So I think it's working?! Just not sure what to do next 🙂

I did try a bunch of other demos and most don't work on DK2. The ConfigUtil demo does and The Room demo works perfectly, but nothing else works (The Rift, TechnoLust, etc), so it could just be related to that?

guygodin
Protege
"photonstorm" wrote:
Tried this out today on my DK2 and all I see is a message saying "Virtual Desktop - Get the full experience with Windows 8" (I'm running Win7).

The ability to see your desktop (and mouse cursor) is only possible on Windows 8 (which is why you see this message, so yes it is working :-)). Virtual Desktop will only launch 0.4 demos correctly. In order to run demos that are built with the 0.3.x SDK (Technolust, etc.) you need to follow the steps described here.

photonstorm
Honored Guest
Figured as much - thanks for the reply. The message should literally say "No mouse or desktop on Windows 7 you wally" (or similar 🙂 )

9of9
Expert Protege
Just tried this out (DK2, Windows 8.1, 64-bit) - I was getting 'msvcr120.dll missing' errors at first, but I got that fixed with some Visual Studio 2013 redistributables.

It launches fine now, but what's odd is it's quite juddery - I think it's running at a low framerate, which is odd as I've not had any framerate issues with other demos. Is there anything that might unexpectedly slow it down?

gray
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:

It looks like the VC runtimes are not installed properly. They should be installed when you run setup.exe, can you install them from here (both x86, x64) and try again?

Appreciate the assistance here. Fully uninstalled & reinstalled using the link provided, with the Rift turned off the app loads but immediately crashes when the Rift is turned on.

Direct mode is now working for me using this workaround;

"Bopnc" wrote:

After two hour of struggle, I found (purely by luck...by taking a break) a workaround for my issue.

After plugging-in the rift and disabling my secondary screen into the NVIDIA panel, all I have to do is turning-off my rift then turn it back on, launch a demo...and direct mode works !

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10968&start=20#p150343

guygodin
Protege
Good to hear you got it working Gray. Oculus weren't kidding when they said the new SDK was beta, yikes! Lot's of people with different issues, they have a lot of work on their plate 😛

9of9
Out of curiosity, what resolution is your main desktop and what is your video card? I do create a huge render target to maximize text clarity but maybe I've pushed it a little too far 😛 There are also issues with the latest SDK giving lots of judder so it's hard for me to know which is what.

dsmudger
Honored Guest
Tried with DK2, in extended mode, tried with DK1 support on and off: am I missing a step to actually start the virtual desktop as shown in the screenshot?

I only see a standard non-stereoscopic desktop in the Rift, same as when VD isn't running.

MacBook Pro Retina latest model, Windows 8.1, Nvidia GT750M. I have the VD tray icon, it's white, says 'Virtual Desktop' on mouseover (rather than any error etc)..