cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

guygodin
Protege
"Alt" wrote:
Awesome work. I am loving this on my DK2. It makes launching apps directly onto it a breeze and lets me watch YouTube comfortably on my DK2. Is there any plan to try to correct chromatic aberration? It becomes very clear while reading text.

Good to hear! There is chromatic aberration correction already :shock: at least in flat and floating mode.

dawgs4ever
Honored Guest
Got this to fire up right away (and I'm someone that usually can't do that). Very fun, although with the somewhat low resolution it's a bit hard to work with for doing general things. But it's awesome nevertheless!

"guygodin" wrote:
small
This is an issue with the OVRService (SDK 0.4.0) and Oculus is working on it. Thanks for your feedback!

Andy
Do you see the Rift in your display settings in windows? Do other demos work?

Thanks guygodin.

Yes other demos work, yes i could see my Rift in display settings - i just had to change one of the settings there.

It seems that each demo needs a little tinkering different to the one before at the moment.

As with somebody else here, i went to bed upset that all i could see was the Windows 8 message, but i've just seen your reply to him lol

Keep up the good work!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

guygodin
Protege
"andyring" wrote:
i just had to change one of the settings there.

out of curiosity, what was the setting you had to change to make it work?

"guygodin" wrote:
"andyring" wrote:
i just had to change one of the settings there.

out of curiosity, what was the setting you had to change to make it work?

It was the Control Panel, Display, Change Display Settings, Multiple Displays option.

It's getting rather confusing when people are saying extend display etc. - there are now two of these options - one in the Oculus Config Utility and of course the one in Windows.

Lots of fiddling to be done!

Thanks again.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

ssewell
Honored Guest
Hmmm... from the overview on your initial post, it looks like this is supposed to work on Win 7?

I ensured that I had DirectX 11 already installed (ran the installer at the provided link and the installer told me I already had it installed), but when I run Virtual Desktop, it renders to the Rift but just shows something to the effect of "Windows 8 for best experience" projected on a black background.

baktaktarn
Honored Guest
"endlessorigami" wrote:
Unfortunately I get this error when trying to launch the application.

I'm in the same boat. Win7 x64. DX11 installed, DK2 in extended mode and activated in (ati) control panel

guygodin
Protege
"baktaktarn" wrote:
"endlessorigami" wrote:
Unfortunately I get this error when trying to launch the application.

I'm in the same boat. Win7 x64. DX11 installed, DK2 in extended mode and activated in (ati) control panel

Can you run a DxDiag and send me the results? Thanks

ssewell
In order to see your desktop in the rift, you will need Windows 8. Only the launcher capabilities work on 7.

cefyl
Honored Guest
strange thing, i got stereoscopic view for each eye in extended mode with windows 8.1 + nvidia
Writer on : VRapps.co : All (or almost 😛 ) Oculus Rift Games, Apps & Movies EnterTheRift.fr : The French VR Community Community : All articles of French VR enthusiasts

ssewell
Honored Guest
Roger that. Thanks for the reply.