cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aliens, Trolls & Dragons

Kubold
Explorer
Aliens, Trolls and Dragons is a Third Person Perspective, Action/Adventure game with native Oculus Rift support (and also on standard monitors). It will be released as a single player experience on PC and Mac in a form of episodes. The first one is expected to ship this Fall.

Aliens, Trolls and Dragons will be heavily story driven. It’s essentially a clash between science fiction and fantasy. You will have a chance to test advanced technology and weapons against warriors and monsters living on a planet, that strikingly resembles what we know from fantasy stories. I'm aiming for 1-2 hour gameplay per episode, packed with cinematic scenes, swordfighting, shooting knights with pulse rifles and boss battles.

Announce Trailer:

Story:
It is the near future. Thanks to rapid progress in the field of spacecraft propulsion, we were able to reach distant planets and discover intelligent life. The aliens very much resemble us, their civilization is comparable to our medieval times. A manned mission is sent to the planet, but the lander crashes because of unknown reasons. The wreck is looted and the crew is captured and taken by the locals. You are the chief security officer of the landing party and your job is to fix all this mess.

Ok, now! This is what evolved from the "werewolf demo" (the thread it's somewhere here in work in progress) 🙂

Kubold

Links:

Official Page: http://www.alienstrollsanddragons.com/
Kubold home page: http://www.kubold.com/
55 REPLIES 55

cybereality
Grand Champion
Looks really polished and nice.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

muglore
Explorer
This is looking better and better the more you show, great videos. Can't wait to be able to play 3rd person hack and slash on the Rift. I think that is should make for some interesting points of view and different take on immersion and agent control.
Golf Masters DK2 Alpha, GOLF MASTERS

uswin
Explorer
AAA quality for sure, kudos for you mate !
by the way, do you plan any kickstarter first for this game or just directly sell it to steam,gog, etc ?

Kubold
Explorer
Thanks!

I was thinking about kickstarter or at least indiegogo... even a failed campaign is a great marketing tool. But I'm a very impatient person, the preparing and leading the campaign, managing the rewards, all the legal paperwork... I'd rather just live off my savigs and finish the game ASAP. It doesn't really need big budget and I like to stay totally independant.

Exposure and marketing though... that's a tough one 😄

virror
Explorer
Maybe try and get it greenlit? Should also help with marketing.

uswin
Explorer
"Kubold" wrote:
Thanks!

I was thinking about kickstarter or at least indiegogo... even a failed campaign is a great marketing tool. But I'm a very impatient person, the preparing and leading the campaign, managing the rewards, all the legal paperwork... I'd rather just live off my savigs and finish the game ASAP. It doesn't really need big budget and I like to stay totally independant.
Exposure and marketing though... that's a tough one 😄

yes, i guess exposure is though one. I believe in your judgement whatever you do.
by the way, what happened with the werewolf and the witches ? will it make an appearance in this game ? i kind of dig that werewolf man, totally bad ass !

Kubold
Explorer
Wait and see 😄 I shouldn't spoil everything.

The point is, that I have a Rift for some time now, and all I can play is demos, demos, demos, alphas and v0.01 game versions. I don't count Half Life and retro-fitted games, because I already played them before. So my goal is to put a a game out there, which is, though short, a full product with story, beginning, ending etc. I saw a post of Nathan Grayson on Kotaku saying he's getting bored of VR. What he was really saying, is that he's bored of DEMOS. The "wow factor" is gone, he got used to vr, it's now a "normal" thing to him, like a 3D TV or something. I kind of feel the same, I want something like Technolust (I play mostly for the story), but not just a demo.

As for greenlight, sure! I want everyone to play ATD. I think I will start the campaign when I release a demo.

uswin
Explorer
"Kubold" wrote:
Wait and see 😄 I shouldn't spoil everything.

The point is, that I have a Rift for some time now, and all I can play is demos, demos, demos, alphas and v0.01 game versions. I don't count Half Life and retro-fitted games, because I already played them before. So my goal is to put a a game out there, which is, though short, a full product with story, beginning, ending etc. I saw a post of Nathan Grayson on Kotaku saying he's getting bored of VR. What he was really saying, is that he's bored of DEMOS. The "wow factor" is gone, he got used to vr, it's now a "normal" thing to him, like a 3D TV or something. I kind of feel the same, I want something like Technolust (I play mostly for the story), but not just a demo.

As for greenlight, sure! I want everyone to play ATD. I think I will start the campaign when I release a demo.

That is a good point,
for now i think VR need a full production complete game in a smaller size like what you did here (break it into a smaller episode like what telltale did with walking dead).
I don't mind buying episodic VR game that come out regularly

Kubold
Explorer
Experimenting with spiders.

Strange, I was aiming at spiders in size of a rhino, but first thing that came out of it was this:

With some tweaks, anim speed etc. I'm adding some weight to them. Now it's more like this:

You can actually download this little test:

PC WIN - Spider Test :https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B5eiP1k4yXXiRUdJS2tMelBFSzg&export=download
MAC - Spider Test:https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B5eiP1k4yXXiV3ZOZ25jdlV3YTg&export=download - actually not tested (I don't have a mac yet), but I'm pretty sure it needs a good graphics card, so it may not work properly on mac book air etc.

If you have arachnofobia - DON'T PLAY - the spider comes VERY close!

Ananas
Explorer
Looks amazing, very realistic. Any plans for other kinds of spiders? I'd love
hate
to see more bulky spiders, spiders with hairy legs, tarantellas etc.

Also what about DK2, you got/have ordered one? If you do please keep the DK1 version updated, because some of us have only the DK1 but no DK2 and I'd like to test/play this with my DK1 (unless if this comes out at the same time with the consumer Rift)