cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

perry
Honored Guest
I have the same issue as ssewell... is windows 7 supported?

PatrickBauer
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
I don't have the issue with DK1, out of curiosity are people experiencing judder using an ATI/AMD video card?

AMD, but I think its SDK related and not the fault of virtual desktop 🙂

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
"perry" wrote:
I have the same issue as ssewell... is windows 7 supported?

No, it seems working only on Windows 8... 😞

guygodin
Protege
Requirements
- Windows 7 or 8 (desktop duplication will only work on windows 😎

Which means that the launcher will work with Win7 or Win8 but the ability to see your desktop will only work on Win8+

XeviaN
Honored Guest
Huh, great! I'll try that soon on DK2 :mrgreen:

Feature request: I wish i could choose how many virtual monitors to have and where to place them in space. They obviously had to be recognized by windows as real monitors 😄
XeviaN STUDIO EVIL

small
Honored Guest
I have the judder problem with (two) nvidia cards.

cefyl
Honored Guest
This Virtual Desktop is a must have and i made a french tutorial on entertherift (http://www.entertherift.fr/news-848-dk2-facilitez-vous-la-vie-avec-virtual-desktop.html) (title translation : [DK2]have an easier life with Virtual Desktop).

I was wondering... As you duplicate the 1st monitor on DK2, is there a possibility to add an option to duplicate a demo running on DK2 on main screen ? This could be really great !
Writer on : VRapps.co : All (or almost 😛 ) Oculus Rift Games, Apps & Movies EnterTheRift.fr : The French VR Community Community : All articles of French VR enthusiasts

guygodin
Protege
Merci cefyl, c'est très apprécié 🙂

I used to have an option to duplicate the rift back onto the main display but with SDK 0.4, the games can now mirror to a window so I removed the feature from VD (it only worked on borderless windows anyway and required lots of manual steps to get it working).

jblouir
Honored Guest
This really needs Direct Mode support, I personally think extended mode should be phased out. Otherwise awesome app!

guygodin
Protege
"jblouir" wrote:
This really needs Direct Mode support, I personally think extended mode should be phased out. Otherwise awesome app!

Thanks! Unfortunately Direct Mode breaks the API I'm using so that's why it only works in extended mode at the moment.