Warscape Alpha VR v1.1 with DK2 support. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Warscape Alpha VR v1.1 with DK2 support.

mfalxmfalx Posts: 43
edited August 2014 in Games and Apps
20 levels of arcade style fun. Hope you enjoy it. Its based on my commercial release for Android, Windows and OSX although fairly cut down in features.

The Unity 0.4.1 SDK integration still seems quite ropey, crashing, black screens, non working cameras, ghostly head tracking, etc (Works fine on my commercial projects without OVR assets installed so its not system or Unity related) Game is running super quick on my Geforce GTX770 and AMD r280 in DX11 (DX9 judder still on these Win 7 Pro x64 systems in direct mode, seems to be one way or the other with folks)

Windows http://pcer.co.uk/warscape/WAVR_v1_1_WIN.zip
OSX http://pcer.co.uk/warscape/WAVR_v1_1_OSX.zip

I will update the games Oculus share page also. Rejected due Windows 8 incompatibility?! Its unlikely now that I will update the Oculus Share page as I wont be supporting Windows 8 (in other words I wont be buying a Windows 8 license just for this side project) :D

Updated!

Version 1.1d
-Rebuilt with SDK 0.4.1
-Added Menu sounds
-OSX builds now available.

Version 1.1c
-Added reset position and orientation for joypad button.
-Added discarding of weapon pickup for joypad button.
-Added tank engine sounds.

Version 1.1b
-Added reset position and orientation key (r).
-Thinned out standard rounds smoke and fire FX
-Added discarding of weapon pickup (q) (handy when mines or grenade launcher is of no situational use)

Comments

• Chrome wont let me download the zip file.. :(
    EDIT:
    Works with FireFox
  • JackpJackp Posts: 3
    Tons of fun. The camera is stuck low and back in the tank, is there a way to reset the base position? I'm really loving this.
  • TapGamesTapGames Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Really cool demo! I dont get any sickness playing this game!

Well done!
  • jimbofbxjimbofbx Posts: 100
    I got a windows firewall message after doing single player, which likewise resulted in messed up graphics. After hitting cancel, was able to restart and play.

Thanks for posting this. I found it comfortable to play and yeah, it's kind of fun. Only issue I had was:

How do I switch power-ups (i.e. if I have mines, how do I switch back to shooting)?
    How do I reset the camera? My "natural" position places me over and behind the tank instead of in the seat.
  • ArmonArmon Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    Wow, best vr game I played so far!
  • knapmanknapman Posts: 63
    Brain Burst
    going to need a camera recenter button for this, can't see whats going on in my default position as im inside the back of the tank
    System: i5-3570k / GTX 670 / 8GB / Xonar DGX / Win7 64bit
  • mfalxmfalx Posts: 43
    Thank you!

I will implement a reset button.

Are you guys playing with WASD and Mouse or joypads?

-Alex
    Its just occurred to me that I should implement View reset and Pickup discard to the joypad also (i play with mouse/keyb). Can anyone suggest which joypad buttons should be mapped to these actions?

-Alex
    Honestly the view reset doesn't really need a button if it's done on level load
  • EarlGreyEarlGrey Posts: 886
    Art3mis
    Pretty good game! You pretty much saved me with this, since I was demoing the DK2 I chose to show off this demo!
  • LewisPLewisP Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Back button should probably be mapped to reset view, not sure about the other one.
  • ebone260ebone260 Posts: 148
    I agree with the others. Great game!
  • kcfacekcface Posts: 1
    Seems very cool, but having a weird issue that may just be my PC. Everything seems fine until I enter a match, then my tank just goes in a constant left spin. I've checked the obvious (stuck keys, keyboard, 360 gamepad), to no avail. I'll fiddle some more, but just FYI.

This is in Direct to HMD mode, i7, gtx 580, DK2, 360 controller + kb/mouse (tried with the 360 off).
    Thank you all.

So Im going to map back button to reset view and I figured I would use the right bumper for pickup/special weapon discard, seem fair?

-Alex
    kcface wrote:
    Seems very cool, but having a weird issue that may just be my PC. Everything seems fine until I enter a match, then my tank just goes in a constant left spin. I've checked the obvious (stuck keys, keyboard, 360 gamepad), to no avail. I'll fiddle some more, but just FYI.

This is in Direct to HMD mode, i7, gtx 580, DK2, 360 controller + kb/mouse (tried with the 360 off).

That's interesting, does it stop and rotate the other direction when you counter the spin or is locked left? do other controls work??
    Updated!

Version 1.1c
    -Added reset position and orientation on joypad button.
    -Added discarding of weapon pickup on joypad button.
    -Added tank engine sounds.

get it here http://pcer.co.uk/warscape/WarscapeAlphaVRv1.1.zip
  • BCozierBCozier Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I have a request, until you implement custom keys...can you allow mouse right button to move forward and mouse middle button to move backward and leave mouse left button as fire, then I won't need to use the keyboard to play, it's more convenient in my setup for this and I suppose shouldn't be difficult to implement.
    NerveGear
    Here's an idea, most tank games on the PC allow independent turret aiming separately controlled from movement. What if you can assign mouse to aim turrets and use left and right keys to change tank direction? It might add some more strategy in that you can be moving at 90 degrees to the enemy tank while firing on him. But that would mean giving the same advantage to enemy tanks which would make the AI more difficult. Another improvement would be incoming ships from the air which you can also use the mouse to aim at (up and down turret movement as well). Just something to consider if you're trying to make improvements, and of course multiplayer team deathmatch 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3.
    BCozier wrote:
    I have a request, until you implement custom keys...can you allow mouse right button to move forward and mouse middle button to move backward and leave mouse left button as fire, then I won't need to use the keyboard to play, it's more convenient in my setup for this and I suppose shouldn't be difficult to implement.

Yes, this is fairly straightforward to implement, I will include this in the next update.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Alex
    BCozier wrote:
    ...independent turret aiming separately controlled from movement. What if you can assign mouse to aim turrets and use left and right keys to change tank direction?............. Another improvement would be incoming ships from the air which you can also use the mouse to aim at (up and down turret movement as well).

I like this idea too, although it would be a fairly large amount of work. I think some sort of vertical aiming is a good idea though and enemy aircraft is something I considered in the past.

Thanks again.

-Alex
    Just fyi my tank shoots nonstop unless I center the throttle. I think you're expecting axis 3 to be a trigger when it's normally the throttle for joysticks. Centering it means to have 50% throttle.
    NerveGear
    mfalx wrote:
    BCozier wrote:
    ...independent turret aiming separately controlled from movement. What if you can assign mouse to aim turrets and use left and right keys to change tank direction?............. Another improvement would be incoming ships from the air which you can also use the mouse to aim at (up and down turret movement as well).

I like this idea too, although it would be a fairly large amount of work. I think some sort of vertical aiming is a good idea though and enemy aircraft is something I considered in the past.

Thanks again.

-Alex

Actually I should say use A and D keys to change tank direction because on real tanks there is no strafing (only forward or backward movement). So this would add an extra element for controlling the tanks properly. I could definitely see it being a overhaul in the code. Maybe work first on the turret up and down aiming and airships first. Imagine also a multiplayer perk where you can call in artillery or airstrike if you kill two tanks consecutively without taking any damage. I could see this doing really well as a mulitplayer 3 vs 3 team deathmatch.
    jimbofbx wrote:
    Just fyi my tank shoots nonstop unless I center the throttle. I think you're expecting axis 3 to be a trigger when it's normally the throttle for joysticks. Centering it means to have 50% throttle.

The positive on Axis3 with xbox360 Joypad is a trigger (RT), other joysticks aren't supported currently, I presume your not using a 360 joypad?
    Updated to SDK 0.4.1

The Unity 0.4.1 SDK integration still seems quite ropey, crashing, black screens, non working cameras, ghostly head tracking, etc (Works fine on my commercial projects without OVR assets installed so its not system or Unity related) Game is running super quick on my Geforce GTX770 and AMD r280 in DX11 (DX9 judder still on these Win 7 Pro x64 systems in direct mode, seems to be one way or the other with folks)

Windows http://pcer.co.uk/warscape/WAVR_v1_1_WIN.zip
    OSX http://pcer.co.uk/warscape/WAVR_v1_1_OSX.zip

Version 1.1d
    -Rebuilt with SDK 0.4.1
    -Added Menu sounds
    -OSX builds now available.
  • barzattacksbarzattacks Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I guess I am a f'in Moron cause I have "read" everywhere on this thread and I have no idea why you wouldn't support Windows 8.
    I guess I am a f'in Moron cause I have "read" everywhere on this thread and I have no idea why you wouldn't support Windows 8.

hehe sorry man, It was aimed at oculus share submission not at the end users like yourself. I'm just not willing to purchase a Windows 8 license for a side project and I resented the rejection after all the toil I have put in to warscape VR for free. :) I just thought that they needed as much DK2 support as possible at the moment and it was a pretty poor excuse (also all my commercial versions without the OVR SDK run just fine on Windows 8, so I suspect its actually something in their own integration that's causing these "black screen" errors)

Would you like to test it for me?

-Alex