How to watch 3d movies? - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How to watch 3d movies?

Comments

• scottpw25scottpw25 Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    hargabyte wrote:
    alexdfolk wrote:
    After all the posts on reddit about poor service for Cineveo, I'm happy that VR player is working great for me. It takes a little longer to manually set up the values for chromatic aberration, but it's really quite easy and once it works (with the updated postional tracker even) it works great. Also it has none of the extra rendering that eats up cpu/gpu and hurts FPS. I convert all my 3d films to 60fps and it definitely eats up more resources. I got very low FPS on my mid-spec system using VR player and Infinity drive-in on DK1.

If you have any questions on setting up VR player, the settings above in this thread are a great start. It's also very easy to adjust the settings for chromatic aberration, etc while wearing the rift in extended mode and dragging the cursor on the monitor.

How do you set the settings for chromatic aberration in Cineveo? I dont see a settings file or any settings in the program.

I would like to know this as well. Does it pull from VLC or WMP settings?
  • trialobitetrialobite Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    Since Cineveo is a standalone program compiled with the .4 the chromatic aberration correction should be baked right into the program. VR Player on the other hand is designed for use with any shape/size HMD and thus has much more customization available, at the expense of ease of use.

If chromatic aberration is a problem in Cineveo, you may need to adjust your personal settings in the Oculus configuration tool, or a there may be a problem with Cineveo's implementation of the SDK.
  • sidni wrote:
    just tried Cinevideo, and i have to say it is mind blowing! What an experience. i pranked my lil bro on the haunted valley scene, he nearly died :mrgreen:

How did you prank him? I want to prank mine 2! :D
  • TapGamesTapGames Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I orderd CINEVEO too, got the key within 10 minutes! Awesome!
  • bevobevo Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Cineveo works great. pretty much as plug and play as the rift gets. Does anyone know how to recenter the image up and down instead of just left and right? I want to be able to lay back some to take the weight of the rift off my face, but I can only get it to recenter horizontally and not vertically to lift the screen higher.
  • willstewillste Posts: 675
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2014
    I used CINEVEO briefly with two SBS videos I downloaded in .mkv format. I noticed the frame rate on the video seems choppy even though the head tracking and surrounding environment are all smooth. I am wondering if the frame rate of the video or the format are causing this issue for me.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix or improve this?
  • bevo wrote:
    Cineveo works great. pretty much as plug and play as the rift gets. Does anyone know how to recenter the image up and down instead of just left and right? I want to be able to lay back some to take the weight of the rift off my face, but I can only get it to recenter horizontally and not vertically to lift the screen higher.

Does the recenter function on the little side menu not do vertical? It does for me?
  • bevobevo Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    bevo wrote:

Does the recenter function on the little side menu not do vertical? It does for me?
    I've never seen a side menu. Are you using cenaveo?
  • bevo wrote:
    bevo wrote:

I've never seen a side menu. Are you using cenaveo?

Yes, when watching the film look down to your bottom right at the little orb, it will bring up a menu!
  • wildone106wildone106 Posts: 225
    The only thing that worked for me was CINEVO I paid for it, and it works!
  • sidnisidni Posts: 97
    Brain Burst
    how would you get srt subtitles to work in cineveo?
    Not sure and I couldn't change the default audio track too (if it was in spanish I couldnt change it to English)
  • sidnisidni Posts: 97
    Brain Burst
    i don't know if there is a way. if there isn't, i'm sure it will get sorted out, as it is a beta
  • SteveO9937SteveO9937 Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    willste wrote:
    I used CINEVEO briefly with two SBS videos I downloaded in .mkv format. I noticed the frame rate on the video seems choppy even though the head tracking and surrounding environment are all smooth. I am wondering if the frame rate of the video or the format are causing this issue for me.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix or improve this?

I'm also seeing this exact same issue, but not with all movies. Seems to happen to the mkv I loaded as well, but AVI's work just fine. I'm going to convert it to AVI and see if that fixes it.
  • I ordered it 36 hours ago and STILL have not received the software.
  • KzeroKzero Posts: 158
    I ordered it 36 hours ago and STILL have not received the software.

You need to be patient. He processes orders manually. Did you check to see if maybe you put in the wrong email address? Are you completely sure there wasn't an issue with your payment? Have you tried contacting him first? There's no reason why he would not give you the software, when he's given it to many others. Double check everything on your end, contact him, and try and get it resolved.
    3Tzfztf.gif
  • You could also try "Whirligig". It's free and a nice app! You can view in 2d, 3d, and also "Curved" (I like it curved)...
  • OculusRiftRocksOculusRiftRocks Posts: 331
    Brain Burst
    Ir their much difference between the CINEVO and VR cinema (assuming VR cinema would be updated with DK2)?
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,790 Valuable Player
    I highly recommend Whirligig - works perfectly.

edit: and it's free.
  • Whirlgig is great, but there is no way to fast forward. I really like CineVideo, but am unable to decrease size of screen because I don't have a num pad. Is there any workaround for this. How can they design some controls for keyboards that only have num pads? Most laptop keyboards don't have that.
  • bonegabonega Posts: 54
    I have a big problem with the framerate of the movie in both Cineveo and Whirligig.
    There are no lag in the world, only on the movie screen.
    The movie displays fine in an external player with low cpu-load.

This is on windows 8.1 using mkv sbs @1080p.
    Whirlgig is great, but there is no way to fast forward. I really like CineVideo, but am unable to decrease size of screen because I don't have a num pad. Is there any workaround for this. How can they design some controls for keyboards that only have num pads? Most laptop keyboards don't have that.

Left and right arrows?

Forward, back 10 seconds.
  • CindoriCindori Posts: 10
    bonega wrote:
    I have a big problem with the framerate of the movie in both Cineveo and Whirligig.

1. Disable Aero
    2. Set Rift as main screen
    3. Put your movie on a SSD
    4. Set Nvidia control panel: Vsync to "Adaptive" (under 3D settings)

these steps fixed slow movie framerates for me.
    Whirlgig is great, but there is no way to fast forward. I really like CineVideo, but am unable to decrease size of screen because I don't have a num pad. Is there any workaround for this. How can they design some controls for keyboards that only have num pads? Most laptop keyboards don't have that.

You can skip several minutes in Whirligig by using Page Up-Down.
  • mesofiremesofire Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    Cindori wrote:
    bonega wrote:

1. Disable Aero
    2. Set Rift as main screen
    3. Put your movie on a SSD
    4. Set Nvidia control panel: Vsync to "Adaptive" (under 3D settings)

these steps fixed slow movie framerates for me.

You can skip several minutes in Whirligig by using Page Up-Down.

For amd cards its a little different. Only direct to rift mode will get low persistence and vsync working, positional tracking is perfectly smooth. The real issue is getting the video to run smoothly which oddly only affects certain formats. I can run a 1080p mp4 in whirligig and it plays fine. x264 on the other hand is choppy and I don't understand why. I have tried toggling hardware acceleration in the video decoder that came with the k lite codec pack, but its still the same. Going to try a different decoder and report back.

CPU shouldn't be a bottleneck, a 2500k running at 4.4ghz and also running a 290x.
  • MarkcusDMarkcusD Posts: 23
    andyring wrote:

Yep. This is what I use. Watched a 2 hour movie last night.
    MarkcusD wrote:
    andyring wrote:

Yep. This is what I use. Watched a 2 hour movie last night.

The curved screen is amazing.

Tilt, adjustable distance etc - so many features.

Who needs 4k curved screens? :D
    Whirligig didn't work for me, it kept putting the scene on my main monitor not the rift, even when I have it running in extended mode. Tried it with the OVR service running and stopped. I tried making the rift the primary monitor in windows, same thing. This happens with quite a lot of apps.
    smithy wrote:
    What would be a good movie to try out? Avatar maybe?

Gravity. Lots of 1st person perspective sequences.
    wildone106 wrote:
    Whirligig didn't work for me, it kept putting the scene on my main monitor not the rift, even when I have it running in extended mode. Tried it with the OVR service running and stopped. I tried making the rift the primary monitor in windows, same thing. This happens with quite a lot of apps.

Try holding down ctrl when you start. Then there is an option window that lets you select the display.
  • natzVRnatzVR Posts: 52
    Brain Burst
    planning on getting cinevideo when I get my DK2...I hope by the end of the month...but having second thoughts because of bad comments/reputation about the dev...and the app itself...it might not actually work as I imagined it... is there any other VR player like cinevideo? with themes.. :)