bcoyle
Adventurer
4thFlrStudio_0907_05.jpg

updated, April 10, 2015

4th Floor Studio, (215mb)
[Windows] Dropbox / Mega

- Oculus Rift DK2 compatible
- Updated to Oculus SDK v0.7.0.0

recommended: Check to make sure your virtual eye height matches your actual height. Use a tape measure (from floor to eyes) to find your actual eye height. In the demo once fully loaded, press R to reset the positional tracking. This should reset your height to match what's in the config utility. Now go and peer through the closet door. ! You'll find a measuring stick in Feet & Inches. Each logo marking is 1 foot. While standing and looking forward, see if the virtual measuring stick matches your actual eye height. Now you know that you're experiencing the demo with the correct height.

This is a virtual recreation of my apartment.

Since my career path has been as a 3d artist and renderer, working on archviz, I've had a habit of 3d modeling my apartments. Before I signing the lease, I will measure the space and build the walls in 3d. By doing so, I can quickly visualize if my bed and furniture will actually fit in the space!

The possibilities with this visualization have been taken further with the use of VR. Using the Oculus Rift, you can feel present within the space and are able to observe and decide on changes before the final design is put into action. I can't wait for this to be widely adopted for architecture and interior design, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or problems with the demo

Thanks!

4thFlrStudio_0907_03.jpg
ps: http://www.quitenice.co/
46 REPLIES 46

xerospynx
Honored Guest
This looks absolutely awesome!
toronto, ca | dk2@12:20p mar19: delivered | laptop: i7@2.4ghz, 16gb ram, gtx780m@4gb

FictionX
Honored Guest
VERY nice. I get at lot of that illusive "presence" feeling in this one - and even more importantly, there is no judder or lag.

How did you make it? It looks like some of the interior is scanned somehow?

mouja
Explorer
After a few attempts to launch it, I could experiment your work. Gorgeous ! excepted the scan artifacts, it looks so real that at a moment I felt like a stranger violating the place of someone else.

Just a question. Is it normal if the bed doesn't look like the bed in your preview picture ? In the game, It looks destroyed by a horde of rats.

pvalencia
Honored Guest
Like FictionX said, this demo really gives a strong sense of presence. I think the fact that it's just an everyday, ordinary apartment really helps too. It feels familiar in a way, like I'm going over to a friend's house to visit.

I did notice the scan artifacts but no big deal. Also, I noticed the kitchen stove has no collision and you can walk right through it - then through the wall next to it. This allows you to walk outside of the house's boundaries, and easily fall down afterwards plummeting to your death. :lol: Experiencing that in VR gave me a bit of a shock.
My VR demos and games:

ad2003
Honored Guest
Wow - that is super cool! Did you scan in parts of your appartement with a kinect?
Really very beautiful - also a nice small appartement. Well, the bed sheet should be replaced soon ;).

Very cool! If there would be some atmosphere sound it would really, really kick - not too much, just a fridge from the kitchen, and some outside sounds. But for now - great - also ther mirror effect is cool!

respect [:])
AD

(my bad - I didn't heat the sounds first time...of course you already have sounds)
My first unity steps: In A Distance | download/post: http://goo.gl/N90bUU A video collection of oculus rift related stuff: http://oculus.quitebeyond.de

mouja
Explorer
My first thought was also that you used Kinect. But after reading your website, I guess you used Photoscan and pictures from different angles. You made an impressive work. The result is astounding. I really felt "presence" in your room.

bcoyle
Adventurer
"FictionX" wrote:
VERY nice. I get at lot of that illusive "presence" feeling in this one - and even more importantly, there is no judder or lag.

How did you make it? It looks like some of the interior is scanned somehow?

It's a combination of hand modeling/measuring & 3d scanning. Then everything is baked, texture & lighting are all combined into the textures for real time viewing.

"mouja" wrote:
After a few attempts to launch it, I could experiment your work. Gorgeous ! excepted the scan artifacts, it looks so real that at a moment I felt like a stranger violating the place of someone else.

Just a question. Is it normal if the bed doesn't look like the bed in your preview picture ? In the game, It looks destroyed by a horde of rats.

Haha. Yeah there is totally a voyeuristic twist to this space, letting strangers invade your home. Luckily we'll be moving out in a couple months... As for the rats! I had issues when trying to 3d scan our bed, hence all the jaggies. I kind of like the effect and almost want to build full scenes in that 'style'. Thanks for checking out the space.

"ad2003" wrote:
Wow - that is super cool! Did you scan in parts of your appartement with a kinect?
Really very beautiful - also a nice small appartement. Well, the bed sheet should be replaced soon ;).

Very cool! If there would be some atmosphere sound it would really, really kick - not too much, just a fridge from the kitchen, and some outside sounds. But for now - great - also ther mirror effect is cool!

respect [:])
AD

(my bad - I didn't heat the sounds first time...of course you already have sounds)

I didn't scan with a Kinect although something quite similar. I've had the best luck so far using a Primesense Carmine 1.09 & Skanect software. Skanect also happens to work really well with Kinect 1.0. Although I found being tethered to an electrical outlet a challenge.

So you picked up on the audio! Nice! How did it sound? I had thrown that in after a weekend of recording sounds with my phone. I hadn't listened to in the simulation for a while.

"mouja" wrote:
My first thought was also that you used Kinect. But after reading your website, I guess you used Photoscan and pictures from different angles. You made an impressive work. The result is astounding. I really felt "presence" in your room.

Great to hear that the space is loading up smoothly for so many people. You're right that I use Photoscan & the photos approach for some of my 'scanning'. Although I usually stick to photo based modeling for exterior and/or large objects. For all the small stuff in the apartment I used a Carmine 1.09 & Macbook Air, running Skanect.

any thoughts on what I might improve? maybe just keep filling the space with more stuff!

thanks again

LordJuanlo
Protege
What an amazing job! But I'm getting a lot of stuttering on this one. AMD Radeon R9-290X under Windows 8.1. FPS is 75 but it just feels strange, like no vsync or something. I also tried in extended desktop and with -force-d3d11, same result.

I have similar problems in a few Unity demos, although most work fine. It could be something related to AMD cards.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

MannyLectro
Explorer
I have similar problems in a few Unity demos, although most work fine. It could be something related to AMD cards.

Nope, I have the exact same problem and I am using nvidia cards.
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514