4thFlrStudio [DK2 SDK v0.7.0.0, Updated Sept 6th] — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

4thFlrStudio [DK2 SDK v0.7.0.0, Updated Sept 6th]

bcoylebcoyle Posts: 123
Art3mis
edited September 2015 in Showcase

updated, April 10, 2015

4th Floor Studio, (215mb)
[Windows] Dropbox / Mega

- Oculus Rift DK2 compatible
- Updated to Oculus SDK v0.7.0.0

recommended: Check to make sure your virtual eye height matches your actual height. Use a tape measure (from floor to eyes) to find your actual eye height. In the demo once fully loaded, press R to reset the positional tracking. This should reset your height to match what's in the config utility. Now go and peer through the closet door. ! You'll find a measuring stick in Feet & Inches. Each logo marking is 1 foot. While standing and looking forward, see if the virtual measuring stick matches your actual eye height. Now you know that you're experiencing the demo with the correct height.
This is a virtual recreation of my apartment.

Since my career path has been as a 3d artist and renderer, working on archviz, I've had a habit of 3d modeling my apartments. Before I signing the lease, I will measure the space and build the walls in 3d. By doing so, I can quickly visualize if my bed and furniture will actually fit in the space!

The possibilities with this visualization have been taken further with the use of VR. Using the Oculus Rift, you can feel present within the space and are able to observe and decide on changes before the final design is put into action. I can't wait for this to be widely adopted for architecture and interior design, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or problems with the demo

Thanks!

ps: http://www.quitenice.co/

Comments

• This looks absolutely awesome!
    toronto, ca | dk2@12:20p mar19: delivered | laptop: i7@2.4ghz, 16gb ram, gtx780m@4gb
  • FictionXFictionX Posts: 289
    VERY nice. I get at lot of that illusive "presence" feeling in this one - and even more importantly, there is no judder or lag.

How did you make it? It looks like some of the interior is scanned somehow?
  • moujamouja Posts: 126
    Hiro Protagonist
    After a few attempts to launch it, I could experiment your work. Gorgeous ! excepted the scan artifacts, it looks so real that at a moment I felt like a stranger violating the place of someone else.

Just a question. Is it normal if the bed doesn't look like the bed in your preview picture ? In the game, It looks destroyed by a horde of rats.
  • pvalenciapvalencia Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Like FictionX said, this demo really gives a strong sense of presence. I think the fact that it's just an everyday, ordinary apartment really helps too. It feels familiar in a way, like I'm going over to a friend's house to visit.

I did notice the scan artifacts but no big deal. Also, I noticed the kitchen stove has no collision and you can walk right through it - then through the wall next to it. This allows you to walk outside of the house's boundaries, and easily fall down afterwards plummeting to your death. :lol: Experiencing that in VR gave me a bit of a shock.
    My VR demos and games:
  • ad2003ad2003 Posts: 196
    Wow - that is super cool! Did you scan in parts of your appartement with a kinect?
    Really very beautiful - also a nice small appartement. Well, the bed sheet should be replaced soon ;).

Very cool! If there would be some atmosphere sound it would really, really kick - not too much, just a fridge from the kitchen, and some outside sounds. But for now - great - also ther mirror effect is cool!

respect [:])
    AD

(my bad - I didn't heat the sounds first time...of course you already have sounds)
    My first unity steps: In A Distance | download/post: http://goo.gl/N90bUU
    A video collection of oculus rift related stuff: http://oculus.quitebeyond.de
  • moujamouja Posts: 126
    Hiro Protagonist
    My first thought was also that you used Kinect. But after reading your website, I guess you used Photoscan and pictures from different angles. You made an impressive work. The result is astounding. I really felt "presence" in your room.
  • bcoylebcoyle Posts: 123
    Art3mis
    FictionX wrote:
    VERY nice. I get at lot of that illusive "presence" feeling in this one - and even more importantly, there is no judder or lag.

How did you make it? It looks like some of the interior is scanned somehow?

It's a combination of hand modeling/measuring & 3d scanning. Then everything is baked, texture & lighting are all combined into the textures for real time viewing.
    mouja wrote:
    After a few attempts to launch it, I could experiment your work. Gorgeous ! excepted the scan artifacts, it looks so real that at a moment I felt like a stranger violating the place of someone else.

Just a question. Is it normal if the bed doesn't look like the bed in your preview picture ? In the game, It looks destroyed by a horde of rats.

Haha. Yeah there is totally a voyeuristic twist to this space, letting strangers invade your home. Luckily we'll be moving out in a couple months... As for the rats! I had issues when trying to 3d scan our bed, hence all the jaggies. I kind of like the effect and almost want to build full scenes in that 'style'. Thanks for checking out the space.
    ad2003 wrote:
    Wow - that is super cool! Did you scan in parts of your appartement with a kinect?
    Really very beautiful - also a nice small appartement. Well, the bed sheet should be replaced soon ;).

Very cool! If there would be some atmosphere sound it would really, really kick - not too much, just a fridge from the kitchen, and some outside sounds. But for now - great - also ther mirror effect is cool!

respect [:])
    AD

(my bad - I didn't heat the sounds first time...of course you already have sounds)

I didn't scan with a Kinect although something quite similar. I've had the best luck so far using a Primesense Carmine 1.09 & Skanect software. Skanect also happens to work really well with Kinect 1.0. Although I found being tethered to an electrical outlet a challenge.

So you picked up on the audio! Nice! How did it sound? I had thrown that in after a weekend of recording sounds with my phone. I hadn't listened to in the simulation for a while.
    mouja wrote:
    My first thought was also that you used Kinect. But after reading your website, I guess you used Photoscan and pictures from different angles. You made an impressive work. The result is astounding. I really felt "presence" in your room.

Great to hear that the space is loading up smoothly for so many people. You're right that I use Photoscan & the photos approach for some of my 'scanning'. Although I usually stick to photo based modeling for exterior and/or large objects. For all the small stuff in the apartment I used a Carmine 1.09 & Macbook Air, running Skanect.

any thoughts on what I might improve? maybe just keep filling the space with more stuff!

thanks again
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    What an amazing job! But I'm getting a lot of stuttering on this one. AMD Radeon R9-290X under Windows 8.1. FPS is 75 but it just feels strange, like no vsync or something. I also tried in extended desktop and with -force-d3d11, same result.

I have similar problems in a few Unity demos, although most work fine. It could be something related to AMD cards.
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • MannyLectroMannyLectro Posts: 558
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have similar problems in a few Unity demos, although most work fine. It could be something related to AMD cards.

Nope, I have the exact same problem and I am using nvidia cards.
    Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
    321d7a56-bfc9-4667-85ce-3a67291aa90a.jpg
    Art3mis
    LordJuanlo wrote:
    What an amazing job! But I'm getting a lot of stuttering on this one. AMD Radeon R9-290X under Windows 8.1. FPS is 75 but it just feels strange, like no vsync or something. I also tried in extended desktop and with -force-d3d11, same result.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure the settings I'm using in Unity also work with AMD. I have a different scene I'm testing at work with a FireGL that seems to work buttery smooth. Are you seeing a constant stutter or only at the start? This is with Direct HMD Access?
  • bonegabonega Posts: 54
    I get a warning after downloading this in Chrome, anyone know why?
    Art3mis
    bonega wrote:
    I get a warning after downloading this in Chrome, anyone know why?

I just noticed this too at work. Seems to be the 'Enable Phishing & Malware Protection' feature in Chrome. It's blocking a lot of the projects on the forum that use Dropbox for file hosting. I'll need to look into an alternative hosting spot.

I've updated the original post with another link to the project through Mega
  • 9of99of9 Posts: 41
    I'm not sure it's anything to do with Dropbox per se, I believe Chrome just blocks certain attachments that are installers or zips that it believes 'aren't commonly downloaded'.
  • bonegabonega Posts: 54
    bcoyle wrote:
    I've updated the original post with another link to the project through Mega

Thanks, that worked.
  • AxelBernadotteAxelBernadotte Posts: 194
    Hiro Protagonist
    Using a computer with no other display than DK2, and using VNC server/viewer from a netbook to interact with it. This means that I dont get the option to use extended mode. As it is now, the only demos that have worked in direct to rift is this one, kon tiki, oculus world, and Resistance. Means that you made some magic with this directtorift-launcher that others have failed to do.
    Art3mis
    bcoyle wrote:
    Hmm. I'm pretty sure the settings I'm using in Unity also work with AMD. I have a different scene I'm testing at work with a FireGL that seems to work buttery smooth. Are you seeing a constant stutter or only at the start? This is with Direct HMD Access?

All the time, with both Direct and extended mode.
    FirmaRoV.png
  • CortanaCortana Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    What an amazing demo! But it's juddering on my PC (4770K, GTX770).

What can I do about that?
  • tmektmek Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    9of9 wrote:
    I'm not sure it's anything to do with Dropbox per se, I believe Chrome just blocks certain attachments that are installers or zips that it believes 'aren't commonly downloaded'.

Chrome has two levels. One where it says the file is suspect because it's infrequently downloaded and two where where it deems the download *actually* contains malware. In the first case it will let you override and download the file, in the second it won't even allow you to download the file at all. This case is the second "contains malware".

It could be a false positive but might want to scan it with Malwarebytes or something, better safe than sorry.
  • RirathRirath Posts: 23
    As near as I can tell, this demo may be running in Direct X 11 by default.

If you're like me, and everything judders like mad in DX11 (like this did), then you can run it in extended mode with -force-dx9. Ran perfectly smooth after that.
  • RirathRirath Posts: 23
    Means that you made some magic with this directtorift-launcher that others have failed to do.

It's possibly down to simply using DX11 by default instead of DX9. Direct mode only works for me if I disable the monitor on my integrated card, AND use -force-dx11 on the direct exe. (Try that with some non-working demos, if you haven't.) But, DX11 judders like crazy for me so I don't use it. This one was juddering from the start, and using -force-dx9 in extended mode fixes that.

So, I'm guessing using DX11 by default here is the unusual bit.
  • decryptdecrypt Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Looks amazing... but I'm getting an absurd amount of Judder when looking back and forth...

R9 280
    4GHz quad core Intel i5
    Art3mis
    KhenaB wrote:
    Absolutely amazing, no issues here

Did you enable AA, i see a lot of jaggies

4x AA is set for the graphics. I'm not sure if the jaggies are from the demo or the headset resolution
    Art3mis
    Here's hoping for the update to 0.4.1 SDK, hopefully it will fix my judder problems.
    FirmaRoV.png
    Art3mis
    LordJuanlo wrote:
    Here's hoping for the update to 0.4.1 SDK, hopefully it will fix my judder problems.

Hey, just did a quick build with v0.4.1, so let me know if that clears things up. Links updated in the original post. Otherwise I might try making multiple builds with and without Time Warp & DX11.

Thanks

ps: I need a better solution in Unity for those mirrors. At least on my machine, they're a huge cause for drop in frame rate
    Art3mis
    With my DK2 in Direct Mode it still stutters, but much less than before, if feels better. Configuring the Rift in Extended Mode fixed it and now runs perfectly, although low persistence is disabled and I must enable it manually pressing F1. By the way, when pressing spacebar, Unity says it's running at 60 fps, but I feel like it's running at 75, so I'm not sure what's going on. Got the same behaviour with Technolust 0.41 beta.
    FirmaRoV.png
  • rmcclellandrmcclelland Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    Works great for me. I might have had to use force -force-d3d11 in direct mode.

I would love to have a model like this of past apartments I have lived in. The nostalgia would be amazing and emotional. This really shows the amazing future of capturing memories. I can imagine having a capture of my freshmen dorm.
  • volv88volv88 Posts: 76
    Brain Burst
    LordJuanlo wrote:
    With my DK2 in Direct Mode it still stutters, but much less than before, if feels better. Configuring the Rift in Extended Mode fixed it and now runs perfectly, although low persistence is disabled and I must enable it manually pressing F1. By the way, when pressing spacebar, Unity says it's running at 60 fps, but I feel like it's running at 75, so I'm not sure what's going on. Got the same behaviour with Technolust 0.41 beta.

If you press F10 (or was it F11?) twice you should see 75 FPS. I have no idea what it is though.
  • DomitjenDomitjen Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    Looks amazing, but question though, can we move? I just have "loading" in yellow letters floating in your appartement all the time.

edit: nvm, solved it:p
  • mhvuzemhvuze Posts: 25
    This is impressive, very very nice work. I will try to walk around in there while standing sometime I guess :D
    Art3mis
    Hey guys, I've updated the demo, see the original post:

Changelog for v0.3

- updated demo with Oculus SDK 0.4.2
    - updated space, included new objects!
    - changed out reflections to use box projected Cubemaps (helps with performance, but looks bad if you stare at it)
    - added measuring tape in closet, for confirming eye height

So there's now a feet/inches measuring tape behind the closet door for which you can check your virtual eye height vs. actual eye height. Try it out and let me know how it goes.