cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to watch 3d movies?

wildone106
Honored Guest
I downloaded 'VR Cinema' app and when I load a movie into it, its showing the split screen side by side inside the virtual theater whilst looking thru the Oculus, so obviously it doesnt work or..what am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to just watch a 3d movie with the Rift?
70 REPLIES 70

phillymonsterfu
Honored Guest
Whirlgig is great, but there is no way to fast forward. I really like CineVideo, but am unable to decrease size of screen because I don't have a num pad. Is there any workaround for this. How can they design some controls for keyboards that only have num pads? Most laptop keyboards don't have that.

bonega
Honored Guest
I have a big problem with the framerate of the movie in both Cineveo and Whirligig.
There are no lag in the world, only on the movie screen.
The movie displays fine in an external player with low cpu-load.

This is on windows 8.1 using mkv sbs @1080p.

"phillymonsterful" wrote:
Whirlgig is great, but there is no way to fast forward. I really like CineVideo, but am unable to decrease size of screen because I don't have a num pad. Is there any workaround for this. How can they design some controls for keyboards that only have num pads? Most laptop keyboards don't have that.

Left and right arrows?

Forward, back 10 seconds.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Cindori
Honored Guest
"bonega" wrote:
I have a big problem with the framerate of the movie in both Cineveo and Whirligig.

1. Disable Aero
2. Set Rift as main screen
3. Put your movie on a SSD
4. Set Nvidia control panel: Vsync to "Adaptive" (under 3D settings)

these steps fixed slow movie framerates for me.

You can skip several minutes in Whirligig by using Page Up-Down.

mesofire
Honored Guest
"Cindori" wrote:
"bonega" wrote:

1. Disable Aero
2. Set Rift as main screen
3. Put your movie on a SSD
4. Set Nvidia control panel: Vsync to "Adaptive" (under 3D settings)

these steps fixed slow movie framerates for me.

You can skip several minutes in Whirligig by using Page Up-Down.

For amd cards its a little different. Only direct to rift mode will get low persistence and vsync working, positional tracking is perfectly smooth. The real issue is getting the video to run smoothly which oddly only affects certain formats. I can run a 1080p mp4 in whirligig and it plays fine. x264 on the other hand is choppy and I don't understand why. I have tried toggling hardware acceleration in the video decoder that came with the k lite codec pack, but its still the same. Going to try a different decoder and report back.

CPU shouldn't be a bottleneck, a 2500k running at 4.4ghz and also running a 290x.

MarkcusD
Honored Guest
"andyring" wrote:
I highly recommend Whirligig - works perfectly.

edit: and it's free.

Yep. This is what I use. Watched a 2 hour movie last night.

"MarkcusD" wrote:
"andyring" wrote:
I highly recommend Whirligig - works perfectly.

edit: and it's free.

Yep. This is what I use. Watched a 2 hour movie last night.

The curved screen is amazing.

Tilt, adjustable distance etc - so many features.

Who needs 4k curved screens? 😄
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

wildone106
Honored Guest
Whirligig didn't work for me, it kept putting the scene on my main monitor not the rift, even when I have it running in extended mode. Tried it with the OVR service running and stopped. I tried making the rift the primary monitor in windows, same thing. This happens with quite a lot of apps.

MarkcusD
Honored Guest
"smithy" wrote:
What would be a good movie to try out? Avatar maybe?

Gravity. Lots of 1st person perspective sequences.

MarkcusD
Honored Guest
"wildone106" wrote:
Whirligig didn't work for me, it kept putting the scene on my main monitor not the rift, even when I have it running in extended mode. Tried it with the OVR service running and stopped. I tried making the rift the primary monitor in windows, same thing. This happens with quite a lot of apps.

Try holding down ctrl when you start. Then there is an option window that lets you select the display.