cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

ianmacmillan
Explorer
"guygodin" wrote:
"ianmacmillan" wrote:
I just downloaded the latest version of this and wanted to say thanks. Very helpful for starting/stopping games etc in the Rift.

I do have a couple/three problems on my Win7 box, though. I'm running a GTX-780 with vsync forced on:

1. Vertical tearing. I read in a previous post that you fixed this in Win7, but I still have it.
2. The view really strains my eyes, for some reason. It's as if the separation is too high/low for my eyes. Other 3D apps don't do this to me.
3. Mouse cursor tracking is off by maybe 10 pixels of so in the vertical axis. To click a window's close button ('X'), for example, I have to click below the button.

Anyway, still really helpful. Thanks much.

Thanks Ian!

1. Do you still get tearing if you disable aero before starting Virtual Desktop?
2. Do you get eye strain with Flat mode or just Curved? Curved mode uses a fixed IPD at the moment but I'll rework that.
3. Hmmm that's odd, anyone else experiencing an offset in mouse tracking?

1. I still get tearing with aero isabled. It was disabled to begin with, actually.
2. Yes, eye strain with flat mode. I just tried curved mode and it is definitely harder on my eyes.
3. Ya, this is a weird one.

I'll report back if I find any solutions.

ralphscott
Honored Guest
I must be dumb, how is this supposed to work. I think i have it installed on windows 7 32 bit, but i can't seem to get any sort of virtual desktop going. Am i supposed to have the monitors in a special arrangement (ie, not cloned)?

guygodin
Protege
"ralphscott" wrote:
I must be dumb, how is this supposed to work. I think i have it installed on windows 7 32 bit, but i can't seem to get any sort of virtual desktop going. Am i supposed to have the monitors in a special arrangement (ie, not cloned)?

You need to have your monitors setup in extended mode, that's all. Do you see the icon in the system tray?

guygodin
Protege
I've updated Virtual Desktop to use the 0.4.1 SDK, I don't think this fixes the judder issue with DK2 but let me know!

adamkpowell
Honored Guest
Sent ya a pm, interested in the new build! Thanks!

ralphscott
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
"ralphscott" wrote:

You need to have your monitors setup in extended mode, that's all. Do you see the icon in the system tray?

Yes, i have the icon there. And i can change the settings, but trying to bring up the configuration utility doesn't work.

I set my monitors to extend, do i need to restart the program? I also tried to play a game by launching it from the application, i didn't notice anything different.

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
Hi, just installed this app on Windows 7 64bit, and it's really cool! But unfortunately I too have the tearing on my right display when I move my head... 😞

guygodin
Protege
"ralphscott" wrote:
Yes, i have the icon there. And i can change the settings, but trying to bring up the configuration utility doesn't work.

Is the icon in the tray gray or white? What does the text say when you mouse over it? What do you see in the rift?
"RikkTheGaijin" wrote:
Hi, just installed this app on Windows 7 64bit, and it's really cool! But unfortunately I too have the tearing on my right display when I move my head... 😞

Tearing as in, an horizontal line across the screen? Or is it judder (image isn't smooth when you turn your head)?

jf032
Honored Guest
Just installed the newest version on Win7 64bit, and oddly enough, there is no tearing (I have VSYNC forced on on my 270X, and I experienced significant tearing in the last version of Virtual Desktop). However, there is a very specifically-timed judder that is most noticeable when I move my head. It is there when I have my main monitor in various refreshes (up to 144Hz). My monitor does not have a 75Hz setting, so I just tried setting both the DK2 and my monitor to 60Hz, and while it is less noticeable because of the extreme motion blur, the judder is still there (sidenote to people experiencing motion blur in 75Hz after coming from 60Hz - turn off and turn the DK2 back on to fix).

Also, tilting seems to be broken - the images go out of alignment (vertically, relative to gravity) when I tilt my head.

knapman
Explorer
as far as im aware the images going out of alignment is the tearing, the rifts screen is rotated so you just see the effect vertically instead of horizontally, if you close one eye you'll likely find its only noticeable on one

just to report the update to 0.4.1 runtime did not help with the vsync issues for me
System: i5-3570k / GTX 670 / 8GB / Xonar DGX / Win7 64bit