cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
"guygodin" wrote:
"ralphscott" wrote:
Tearing as in, an horizontal line across the screen? Or is it judder (image isn't smooth when you turn your head)?

I have a vertical line that "splits" the image on the right display when I move my head. The left screen is perfect.
I have the same problem in Quake 2, but everything else is fine. I think it's a problem of the Extended Mode. 😞

manueslapera
Explorer
Nice update!

However, when i run a demo using the "Run with oculus" option, the display shows both eye's displays, so there is no way to experience the demos.

Im running windows 7 with extended mode (couldnt get direct mode to work of course).

panmaster
Expert Protege
for low fps and tearing thing....
http://vr-projections.com/dk2_low_fps_and_tearing/

guygodin
Protege
"jf032" wrote:
Also, tilting seems to be broken - the images go out of alignment (vertically, relative to gravity) when I tilt my head.

The tilting is now fixed. It was broken since the first version and you're the first to have noticed it 😛

perry
Honored Guest
Okay, so first off, let me say that I'm posting this response from within virtual desktop, and it is magnificool. Resolution suffers a bit, but that's got nothing to do with the app. So I'm going to make a few observations/suggestions, and I hope you'll take them with a grain of salt because, did I mention how cool it is to be posting this message from a 10 foot monitor?

I'm getting a bit of classic screen tearing. Usually I can use the -force-d3d11 trick to fix it, but I think that only applies to unity apps. So, if there's anything you can suggest to correct the screen tearing that would be most helpful.

Some features that would be nice are:

1) a tilt option, so that I could position the screen such that a slightly downward gaze would be looking at the center of the screen.

2) the curve option is way to severe. Have you seen how it's implemented in Whirligig? Something more along those lines would be really nifty.

But, all in all, fantastic job. I can now watch netflix and youtube on a giant screen, and it's awesome!

Thanks for this program!

guygodin
Protege
"perry" wrote:
1) a tilt option, so that I could position the screen such that a slightly downward gaze would be looking at the center of the screen.

You can do this by selecting the Floating screen mode, then look slightly down and press F4. The screen will lock on to that position.
"perry" wrote:
2) the curve option is way to severe. Have you seen how it's implemented in Whirligig? Something more along those lines would be really nifty.

Yep I'm working on improving the curved screen, it was good with DK1 but people seem to hate it with positional tracking.

Thanks for the feedback!

perry
Honored Guest
Ha, I just came back to post that I had discovered the f4 option to reposition the floating monitor, and you already responded.

Thanks again!

ralphscott
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
"ralphscott" wrote:
Yes, i have the icon there. And i can change the settings, but trying to bring up the configuration utility doesn't work.

Is the icon in the tray gray or white? What does the text say when you mouse over it? What do you see in the rift?
"RikkTheGaijin" wrote:
Hi, just installed this app on Windows 7 64bit, and it's really cool! But unfortunately I too have the tearing on my right display when I move my head... 😞

Tearing as in, an horizontal line across the screen? Or is it judder (image isn't smooth when you turn your head)?

I have it working. The icon said rift not detected when i moused over it. So i searched the thread for not detected and you told someone the OVR had to be running. I hadn't installed the latest sdk so i did that, and then everything worked.

Just fyi, the 32 bit install asks for the 64 bit VC++ runtime...

hapklaar
Explorer
"guygodin" wrote:
I've updated Virtual Desktop to use the 0.4.1 SDK, I don't think this fixes the judder issue with DK2 but let me know!

- Still have a lot of judder, but could be due to it mirroring the main monitor which is at 60Hz?
- How can I keep using the DK2 as an extended monitor with its own desktop in Virtual Desktop, instead of viewing the main desktop?
- Is there a way to view FPS in Virtual Desktop?

Anonymous
Not applicable
About using virtual desktop with DK2 as only display; what reexe suggested (forcing to output on vga) worked perfectly!

It should be possible to include this in virtual desktop: A script that, if no other display than rift is detected, forces output to vga, makes this display primary and with same resolution as rift, extends the desktop to both, and then fully launches virtual desktop. It could also create a reminder for another script to remove the extra display and make rift primary when exiting virtual desktop.