cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2, any way to output to both the rift and the monitor?

ggorzhiyev
Honored Guest
So I work for a public library system here in Colorado and we have DK1s at all of our branches for the public to try out and experience. Since they output to both the monitor and the rift, it makes it very nice and easy to "demo" to a crowd. One person can sit with them on and the others can watch the monitor.

I took a pair home to try out and all that and unless I'm a complete idiot all I can do is have it output to just the rift with weird colors and stuff on the monitor. Am I missing something or is this just how it works right now?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a dumb question.
12 REPLIES 12

erick
Honored Guest
I can't give specifics on DK2 since I'm still waiting for mine but it's my understanding that you should be able to use "extended desktop" mode (not direct). Then you can mirror the display the same as you would for DK1.

treytech
Explorer
Have this open on your monitor, add the game as a source, and then preview your stream fullscreen.

bilago
Honored Guest
"erick" wrote:
I can't give specifics on DK2 since I'm still waiting for mine but it's my understanding that you should be able to use "extended desktop" mode (not direct). Then you can mirror the display the same as you would for DK1.

This wont work, since your Rift's native resolution is 1080x1920 instead of 1920x1080.
All that's going to happen is your monitor and rift will find a resolution they both support which is something ridiculous like 1080x580.

Direct To Rift is supposed to support mirroring but getting it to work is shoddy at this moment in time.
[Obsolete] Oculus Service Manager - https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11395 [Unofficial] VR Game Manager - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12754

erick
Honored Guest
"bilago" wrote:
This wont work, since your Rift's native resolution is 1080x1920 instead of 1920x1080.

This is still a problem after you change the orientation of the monitor in the OS settings? That's odd.

bilago
Honored Guest
"erick" wrote:
"bilago" wrote:

This is still a problem after you change the orientation of the monitor in the OS settings? That's odd.

Yep Windows will actually then rotate both screens when they are cloned.. annoying right?
[Obsolete] Oculus Service Manager - https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11395 [Unofficial] VR Game Manager - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12754

erick
Honored Guest
"bilago" wrote:
Yep Windows will actually then rotate both screens when they are cloned.. annoying right?

Completely. It sounds like you've been fighting with it already. 😄

So, how are people like CymaticBruce recording output? Extended mode without cloning?

treytech
Explorer
"erick" wrote:
"bilago" wrote:

Completely. It sounds like you've been fighting with it already. 😄

So, how are people like CymaticBruce recording output? Extended mode without cloning?

See my previous post.

erick
Honored Guest
"treytech" wrote:
See my previous post.

I saw that, but you don't confirm if that means using DK2 in extended mode without cloning.

owenwp
Expert Protege
This is what direct mode does for you. It is still a bit buggy, but it gives you that mirrored view without adding latency like desktop duplication does.