cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Can the DK2 IR Camera See?

InteriorD
Honored Guest
Hello OculusVR,

I'm a DK2 owner who would like to know what sort of images the DK2 camera could see. A picture of what the DK2 can 'see' would be super helpful. This is for security purposes. I'm sure we would all feel a bit more secure if we know for a fact that the DK2 camera can't see the pudgy/scrawny/well-toned bodies under our clothing while we're standing around with our mouths agape.

On a side note, I'm trying to strap the Leap Motion Controller onto the DK2 but despite listening to the community's advice, I'm unable to locate the IR light emitters on the DK2. It would be very helpful if you can let me know where they are so I won't obstruct it.

Thanks in advance.
105 REPLIES 105

ThreeEyes
Explorer
A small "tinfoil hat" over the camera should take away all fears.

Or unplug it. Or do this... 😄

But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

menione
Honored Guest
Sometimes I can't tell if people are so dismissive because they genuinely don't believe there's a security threat or whether they're just joking.

I mean, what are the chances someone will break into your house and check your front door is unlocked before doing it? Yet most people still lock their front doors. Would you consider locking your front door paranoia?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"menione" wrote:
Sometimes I can't tell if people are so dismissive because they genuinely don't believe there's a security threat or whether they're just joking.

I mean, what are the chances someone will break into your house and check your front door is unlocked before doing it? Yet most people still lock their front doors. Would you consider locking your front door paranoia?

The difference is that there is no shortage of unsavory types willing to simply walk through your front door to plunder and pawn your wares. Do you honestly think anyone wants to see whatever may or may not be hanging between your legs?

As for a true privacy/security concern, the camera is likely too low res, on top of the lighting issues, to ever make heads of tails of documents and various important sights.

menione
Honored Guest
"jngdwe" wrote:
The difference is that there is no shortage of unsavory types willing to simply walk through your front door to plunder and pawn your wares. Do you honestly think anyone wants to see whatever may or may not be hanging between your legs?

As for a true privacy/security concern, the camera is likely too low res, on top of the lighting issues, to ever make heads of tails of documents and various important sights.

That's a bad assumption my friend. Some of us have attractive wives/girlfriends/daughters. And there is no shortage of unsavory types on the internet.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
I think people should treat it just like any other camera or microphone they connect to their computers. The image that travid posted shows why.

What I don't understand is the need for such a long thread beating the horse. It's obvious it can capture images. Lots of people have computers that multiple people use or that is left on a lot where it could be exploited for giggles if nothing else.

All anyone needs to do is cover it or disconnect it if they feel like it could be an issue and the problem goes completely away.

Well, sort of completely. I would be more worried that any information on that computer or on network storage would be compromised as well as any intruder having gained a beachhead on my internal network.

It's trivial to hang any number of opaque things on a webcam to block it from gathering images. It's a pain in the butt to clear out an infection and lost financial information is a whole 'nuther disaster.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

GodzillaMustDie
Honored Guest
Wasn't there a camera hack like 10 years ago for using IR to see through clothing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHCDknFbDU

sven
Protege
Thanks for the picture, travid. It doesn't hurt to cover up the camera when you're not using it.

Jedi2016
Honored Guest
"travid" wrote:
If you're concerned about your privacy, cover it!

Seriously, what's so hard about this? Just cover the damn camera, end of discussion.

GodzillaMustDie
Honored Guest
Just covering the camera is not the point. Some of us including the OP are questioning the capabilities of the camera. And in case you haven't noticed by the big plastic shell on your DK2 IR can travel through things. Yeah it can go through plastic but putting a cloth on it will thwart it(sarcasim). Which is why the question is being asked. And not to mention the link I included above...IR can see through CLOTH.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
It's not IR in the technical sense. It's near-IR and just outside the range of human vision.

Seriously, a single sheet of tinfoil (all joking aside) will totally block near-IR.

If you have some hacker in your computer to collect images of you or others in your home, any other webcams and security cameras you can access are just as vulnerable.

And you have bigger issues if a hacker has gained access to your computer - a hacker has gained access to your computer.