cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serenity VR [SteamVR] Updated 4/19/2018

kavehth
Explorer
Update 04.19.2018:

after a very long time I've finally released a new version.
I've pretty much remade everything and added a lot of new stuff including a lot of interaction using the controllers
you can download it here: https://kavehth.itch.io/serenity-vr

Update 09.03.2014:

• updated to SDK 0.4.1
  • added the cargo hold
  • improved textures and added a lot of detail
  • added intro
  • added dynamic sun light

you can use objects that turn yellow with the left mouse button or the "a" button
    when in the pilot chair you can rotate the ship with WASD
    you can toggle VSync with "V"
    you can toggle the sky light with "L"

Hi all,
    Ever since I found out about the oculus I thought I would be really incredible if I could walk inside Serenity from the tv show Firefly, so about a year ago I start using unity and for my first project I decided to build the interior of the ship. I am modelling from the film version of the ship and trying to be as accurate as possible.
    It’s been going pretty slow but here is what I have so far

6.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.jpg

I’ve modeled other areas of the ship but I haven’t added any details yet.
    If anyone is interested in helping out just let me know.
  • 87 REPLIES 87

Alloc
    Honored Guest
    This is so awesome. Can't wait to see what you end up with! 🙂

fillishave
    Honored Guest
    Good job! Looking forward to testing this one out!

kavehth
    Explorer
    thanks everyone for the support

right now I'm adding some detail to the mess hall and redoing some of the textures, i think its looking a lot better.

Mess1.jpg

Mess2.jpg

anntastic010
    Honored Guest
    Will there be a version for DK2?
    Hello Developers! Looking for research participants for an online survey on video gaming and dreams! Check it out! http://bit.ly/1q0fnIA Thanks! ^.^

Shigawire
    Honored Guest
    There's no place I can be
    Since I've found Serenity
    And you can't take the sky from me.

LOVE THIS! Feels like home 😄
    DK2 ordered on March 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM PDT status: RECEIVED

Anonymous
    Not applicable
    Omg, I have just finished watching the series 2 days ago. It would be awesome to walk inside Serenity with DK2.

kavehth
    Explorer
    "anntastic010" wrote:
    Will there be a version for DK2?

yes. I plan to release another version with a lot of improvements and new areas in the next couple of weeks.

niebieski
    Honored Guest
    this is amazing 🙂 and I love that show.

kavehth
    Explorer
    here is a new version with DK2 support and a lot of improvements

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8ckaagxxbits92/SerenityVR_PC_0.2.zip?dl=0

i don't have a DK2 so i couldn't test it, let me know if there is any problem

drash
    Heroic Explorer
    Wow!

Every fan of Firefly/Serenity should download this ASAP.

Didn't work in Direct mode (got crash with weird error), but worked in Extended mode just from running DirectToRift.exe without any additional fiddling.

I guess everything else I say will be a spoiler, so here goes a big spoiler tag:

Pros:

Successful marriage of ship exterior and interior: CHECK. That intro was award-winningly-well-done.

Lounge area is awesome, and standing in that area and looking back at the mess hall made me think that I wanted to live there on that ship, with friends & family, etc.

My jaw was on the floor several times. Amazing amount of detail in every room. I admit I clicked to see if I could open up Kaylee's bunk. Jaw on floor again after I realized were stairs going down to the cargo bay. Lighting and ambience is spot-on -- all of it is instantly recognizable.

I'm running at 75 FPS throughout the whole thing on a GTX 660.

Positional tracking working great.

Issues / nitpicking:

Doors sound great, but it is otherwise too quiet in my opinion. Needs background ambience, like ship engine rumble or something.

Can see the sky from the sides of two of the upper doors in the cargo bay.

Black smear is evident in several areas. If/when you get a DK2 you will see what I mean. I recommend checking out a Unity package I posted for this here.

Low persistence appears to be off, which causes DK1-style motion blur when looking around. Not sure if this was just a fluke, but there's probably no harm in forcing it on at startup via OVRDevice.SetLowPersistenceMode(true);

Unity lens flare looks stock, which is out of place compared to all the beautiful unique detail in the rest of the experience. I recommend perhaps finding a different one.

Thank you for a wonderful experience! 😮
    • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com