New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What Can the DK2 IR Camera See?

124»

Comments

• menionemenione Posts: 45
    Sometimes I can't tell if people are so dismissive because they genuinely don't believe there's a security threat or whether they're just joking.

I mean, what are the chances someone will break into your house and check your front door is unlocked before doing it? Yet most people still lock their front doors. Would you consider locking your front door paranoia?
  • jngdwejngdwe Posts: 566
    Art3mis
    menione wrote:
    Sometimes I can't tell if people are so dismissive because they genuinely don't believe there's a security threat or whether they're just joking.

I mean, what are the chances someone will break into your house and check your front door is unlocked before doing it? Yet most people still lock their front doors. Would you consider locking your front door paranoia?

The difference is that there is no shortage of unsavory types willing to simply walk through your front door to plunder and pawn your wares. Do you honestly think anyone wants to see whatever may or may not be hanging between your legs?

As for a true privacy/security concern, the camera is likely too low res, on top of the lighting issues, to ever make heads of tails of documents and various important sights.
  • menionemenione Posts: 45
    jngdwe wrote:
    The difference is that there is no shortage of unsavory types willing to simply walk through your front door to plunder and pawn your wares. Do you honestly think anyone wants to see whatever may or may not be hanging between your legs?

As for a true privacy/security concern, the camera is likely too low res, on top of the lighting issues, to ever make heads of tails of documents and various important sights.

That's a bad assumption my friend. Some of us have attractive wives/girlfriends/daughters. And there is no shortage of unsavory types on the internet.
  • ThreeEyesThreeEyes Posts: 2,230
    NerveGear
    I think people should treat it just like any other camera or microphone they connect to their computers. The image that travid posted shows why.

What I don't understand is the need for such a long thread beating the horse. It's obvious it can capture images. Lots of people have computers that multiple people use or that is left on a lot where it could be exploited for giggles if nothing else.

All anyone needs to do is cover it or disconnect it if they feel like it could be an issue and the problem goes completely away.

Well, sort of completely. I would be more worried that any information on that computer or on network storage would be compromised as well as any intruder having gained a beachhead on my internal network.

It's trivial to hang any number of opaque things on a webcam to block it from gathering images. It's a pain in the butt to clear out an infection and lost financial information is a whole 'nuther disaster.
  • Wasn't there a camera hack like 10 years ago for using IR to see through clothing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzHCDknFbDU
  • svensven Posts: 339
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks for the picture, travid. It doesn't hurt to cover up the camera when you're not using it.
  • Jedi2016Jedi2016 Posts: 114
    Travid wrote:
    If you're concerned about your privacy, cover it!
    Seriously, what's so hard about this? Just cover the damn camera, end of discussion.
  • Just covering the camera is not the point. Some of us including the OP are questioning the capabilities of the camera. And in case you haven't noticed by the big plastic shell on your DK2 IR can travel through things. Yeah it can go through plastic but putting a cloth on it will thwart it(sarcasim). Which is why the question is being asked. And not to mention the link I included above...IR can see through CLOTH.
  • ThreeEyesThreeEyes Posts: 2,230
    NerveGear
    It's not IR in the technical sense. It's near-IR and just outside the range of human vision.

Seriously, a single sheet of tinfoil (all joking aside) will totally block near-IR.

If you have some hacker in your computer to collect images of you or others in your home, any other webcams and security cameras you can access are just as vulnerable.

And you have bigger issues if a hacker has gained access to your computer - a hacker has gained access to your computer.
  • ConzConz Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ok, after the latests images here, I have 3D printed a lens cover for my camera (can't reach the USB cable that easy). ... In aluminium foil metallic. ;)

lens_cover.jpg
  • WirelineWireline Posts: 1,203
    NerveGear
    Awww its GlaDOS, upside down :)

Question to guys on this thread, does anyone have a link to software that can give me the view through the Oculus camera? I want to check if my LED's are visible when I have my head in certain places to check the tracking.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,457 Volunteer Moderator
    with a little tweaking and the right lighting I managed to capture a reasonable image
    k47eid.jpg
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • RuudscornerRuudscorner Posts: 439
    Art3mis
    Reading this thread and I wonder if some in here would freak out and paint over their mobile camera lens if someone mentioned that every mobile phone actually have a camera.

The chance that someone will get access to a camera connected to any computer is extremely minimal and having the DK2 camera attached won't make it any more likely.

With that said, having a tiny light on the camera that activates when the camera is "on" won't hurt either.
  • jkfinjkfin Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Reading this thread and I wonder if some in here would freak out and paint over their mobile camera lens if someone mentioned that every mobile phone actually have a camera.

The chance that someone will get access to a camera connected to any computer is extremely minimal and having the DK2 camera attached won't make it any more likely.

With that said, having a tiny light on the camera that activates when the camera is "on" won't hurt either.

I actually read this thread with my mobile phone, and if someone would happen to see me drink coffe and eat my breakfast the same time, enjoy.. just dont touch my files.

Back to RIFT camera, i honestly think that if someone looks at me while using rift lookin goofy around,
    it would be more amuzing compared to when i sit still staring to my monitor in 2D.

Solution suggestion, use the led power to rotate a simple lens cover similar to compact camera.
    When oculus camera is off, lens cover is closed and prevents all image trasfer,
    When camera is on, blue led powers on and same current drives the lens cover to open state.

Above solution would give easy view when image can be read from camera.
  • richhard1richhard1 Posts: 606
    Art3mis
    It's green screen against the receiver diodes, for increased visibility so it doesn't lose tracking.

oculus isn't interested in seeing the user for any reason, they would rather spend time creating consumer products and optimising the sdk :)
    I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE