cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

guygodin
Protege
Not sure how you are setup but you should see your desktop wallpaper on a giant screen at least. Your rift should be extended (and rotated to landscape if it's a DK2). Your monitor should the primary display, not the rift.

retsiger
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
Not sure how you are setup but you should see your desktop wallpaper on a giant screen at least. Your rift should be extended (and rotated to landscape if it's a DK2). Your monitor should the primary display, not the rift.

Roger that. With monitor as primary display and DK2 set as landscape(flipped), I just see a black screen on the rift. No wallpaper. With non-flipped landscape, the Health Safety Warning renders upside down (forgot to mention that the HSW does show up). Both have the black background though.

Edit: Worth clarifying that without virtual desktop running, I do usually see my background in non-stereo mode.

guygodin
Protege
"retsiger" wrote:
"guygodin" wrote:

Roger that. With monitor as primary display and DK2 set as landscape(flipped), I just see a black screen on the rift. No wallpaper. With non-flipped landscape, the Health Safety Warning renders upside down (forgot to mention that the HSW does show up). Both have the black background though.

Edit: Worth clarifying that without virtual desktop running, I do usually see my background in non-stereo mode.

Have you tried resetting the orientation? Sometimes the OVR Service has the default orientation inverted and the screen is actually behind you. Restarting the OVR Service might also help.

retsiger
Honored Guest
I did try resetting the orientation at some point, as well as restarting the ovr service and virtual desktop.

I'm prevented from further testing now though as it's crashing on startup. Neither repairing it nor remove/reinstall have fixed it. Removing the TitleSettings.json under AppData\Roaming\Virtual Desktop and the user.confg under AppData\Local\VirtualDesktop\Virtual_Desktop_exe_xx\1.0.53.0 didn't help either. The user.config gets recreated but TitleSettings.json hasn't. Is there a pertinent registry key or some other metadata that I could remove to get back to a working state?

guygodin
Protege
Sent you a PM.

Quetzhal
Explorer
Thanks for getting that fixed so quickly! Not sure if this helps, but I got that same black screen in Virtual Desktop when I set my monitor to a different resolution. It's 1080p normally, but I dropped it to 720p to overclock it to 75hz. Black screen in Virtual Desktop with a taskbar visible at the far bottom (not actually part of Virtual Desktop; just the actual taskbar from extended mode appearing. This actually happens whenever I restart the rift while VD is running).

That aside, those extra options help a lot, thank you! I'm pretty sure the judder is due to vsync now - it's locking my framerate at 60fps instead of 75fps. Without vsync it runs anywhere from 100-500fps (and still judders, of course, because it's off-sync with the 75hz display).

As an aside, any chance you could add Chromatic Aberration scaling similar to this? Aberration is more evident in text, it'd be interesting to see how scaling might adjust it!

guygodin
Protege
"Quetzhal" wrote:
As an aside, any chance you could add Chromatic Aberration scaling similar to this? Aberration is more evident in text, it'd be interesting to see how scaling might adjust it!

I saw that post and will probably add an option for it! 🙂

eVRydayVR
Explorer
Initially when running Virtual Desktop I got the following error message on launch (image attached):

The invocation of the constructor on type 'VirtualDesktop.Engine.PerformanceStats' that matches the specified binding constraints threw an exception.

I checked my logs in Event Viewer and saw this:

(Perflib, Event ID 1008) The Open Procedure for service "Lsa" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\Secur32.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.

I eventually resolved the issue following the steps at this website:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windows/en-US/1b7cb94a-a185-47f7-a677-1376930718a1/on-boo...

I had to open a command prompt with "Run as administrator" and type "lodctr /R" (must be capital R). This rebuilt my performance counters which were apparently corrupt. I'm using the software now to write this and it works fine. Just a heads up for anyone else who encounters this.
-D YouTube · Reddit · Twitter · Facebook · Google+ · eVRydayVR@gmail.com · Skype: eVRydayVR

guygodin
Protege
Thanks D for for pinpointing the error. I'll make some tweaks to make sure the error doesn't crash the application and I'll look into putting that command line into the setup. I just added those performance stats yesterday to help folks figure out what's causing the judder (some people get it, others don't).

Let me know if you have any questions about the app and thanks for giving it a try!

Edit: fixed version is up.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still love this app. If it had some kind of 3D support it would be hands down the best app for the Oculus for me.