cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

crazymuffin
Honored Guest
This works great for the most part!

Couple things:

1. With the latest version, when I hold my left mouse down (to drag a window for example), the mouse cursor moves to the top left of the screen. Also when I press a key on my keyboard, it does the same thing.

2. I would LOVE to see multi monitor support. I have 6 ~40inch TV monitors, so having only 1 monitor in the virtual display is really restrictive.

3. I get pretty bad jutter. With v-sync on it is at 60FPS with ~0% cpu usage. If I turn vsync off, I get 999FPS at 12.5% cpu. Jutter is slightly less.

4. I can see the chromatic abbhoration(sp) at the edges, though its not too distracting.

guygodin
Protege
"crazymuffin" wrote:
This works great for the most part!
1. With the latest version, when I hold my left mouse down (to drag a window for example), the mouse cursor moves to the top left of the screen. Also when I press a key on my keyboard, it does the same thing.

This issue has been there from the beginning, I have a fix in the works for this.
"crazymuffin" wrote:
2. I would LOVE to see multi monitor support. I have 6 ~40inch TV monitors, so having only 1 monitor in the virtual display is really restrictive.

This is also in the works, I'll finish it once I have a better curved screen implementation 🙂
"crazymuffin" wrote:
3. I get pretty bad jutter. With v-sync on it is at 60FPS with ~0% cpu usage. If I turn vsync off, I get 999FPS at 12.5% cpu. Jutter is slightly less.

This is new with the 0.4.x SDK and will be up to Oculus to fix this. Happens for certain people.
"crazymuffin" wrote:

4. I can see the chromatic abbhoration(sp) at the edges, though its not too distracting.

I've just uploaded a new version which will improve chromatic aberration correction with DK2 (with the flat or floating screen) following krp's suggested fix here. Let me know if it helps!

KING5TON
Honored Guest
This might just be me but

DK2 set as main display.
Monitor set as secondary display.
When I run Virtual Desktop rather than my main display being displayed it displays my secondary display on the virtual screen.
Because of this when I open anything it's being displayed on my primary display and I cannot see it (as both the DK2 and the monitor are displaying the same thing, my secondary display).

DK2 set as secondary Display
Monitor set as main display
When I run Virtual desktop I can see the main monitor's desktop on the virtual screen which IMO is correct
When I try running DK2 content via just double clicking them or right click Open on Rift or running from the Virtual desktop list the application opens on my main display rather than the DK2.

Other than the above I think it's a tip top application and I'd use it all the time if it wasn't for the above.
If I'm doing something wrong please let me know (tried messing about with various settings but could never seem to get it to work perfectly)
GTX 980 OC to 1497Mhz i5-3570K OC to 4.4Ghz GA-Z77X-D3H Mobo 8GB 1600MHz CL9 Ram GX750 PSU 1TB Hard Drive 120GB + 240GB SSDs Windows 8.1 OR DK2 Buttkicker gamer 2

davidmi58
Honored Guest
Wow! This almost works for me running Windows 7 x64. Looks fine in extended mode. Mouse is a little off. (i.e. When you position the mouse just to the right and slightly below the target, it works correctly. However, if I set the DK2 to primary, I get a wierd, mirror-like, black screen on the Rift. I can see the task bar but the rest of the screen looks black with repeated, stereo mirrors of what is left of my desktop.
rift primary.jpg
(screen cap attached)
Is there some setting I am missing?

guygodin
Protege
DK2 should be set as secondary for Virtual Desktop. For the open on oculus rift not working, I would try to move the DK2 to the left of your desktop in windows as some people suggested. Also try to use DirectToRift executables.

Freakling
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:

"crazymuffin" wrote:

This is also in the works, I'll finish it once I have a better curved screen implementation 🙂

Would love to see if you could emulate multiple screens. Why have physical ones when you can just create virtual ones and then turn your head to them? Might be a bit much to tackle but I would throw money at this project if you could get it working.

I honestly think this is how all developers will work in the future, virtual workspaces on the rift.

davidi386
Honored Guest
Firstly, your demo is one of the first I tried when I got the rift, and I was blown away by the possibilities. Developing a VR desktop/work environment is why I ordered the rift DK2 the day it was announced and your work is a massive step in that direction. Thank you so much for this!

That said, I have an issue to report when using even the latest version of Virtual Desktop -- I experience extreme chromatic aberration, and this effect has not been diminished in the latest update. Red appears much closer to the center of the lens, and blue much further than they respectively should. This effect is much more pronounced than the one in any other demo I've seen, including the default desk demo. This effect happens for me using the A cups on the DK2 and I have an IPD of 68 mm, at every distance configurable on the side dials. I left the other settings on default. The latest update (on the 18th) did not resolve these issues for me.

I hope this information is useful in further developing the software. Thank you so much 😄

guygodin
Protege
If you mean with the curved screen, that is perfectly normal as I'm not doing any correction. If you have this issue in flat mode though that's not normal as I use SDK rendering and the chromatic aberration correction should be exactly the same as in Tuscany or the Desk/Demo scene.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for this software!

When i first fired um a Youtube video i got blown away, i sat there with my mouth open, thanks for that!

Don´t know but when i move the Screen far away and the size really big, it just gets blurry you don´t get the sense of really big scale, i think thats due to the missing of comparable sizes items like a room.

NeoTokyoNori
Honored Guest
Hi, this is a great piece of software. Thank you guygodin.
It opens up a lot of possibilities :idea:

But is it possible to have shortcuts or on screen menu to adjust the screen size and closeness,
while in V Desktop? Since right now, I have to constantly switch in and out between screens, until I find a
comfortable setting that works.

That would make it awesome, and very user friendly:!: