cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I tested the DK2.... I'm very disappointed.

jonathan87
Honored Guest
Hi guys,

Today I spent the whole day to test the Oculus DK2 that I received this morning... and I'm very very disappointed.
I will summarize, in order of importance, the problems encountered:

1) The screen door effects is absolutely TERRIBLE. I didn't bought the DK1 for the low resolution, but the DK2 is still terrible. I can see clearly each pixel, and the details of the images are very very low.
I tryed the oculus lens on the same distance on my Iphone with retina display and the result is similar, but better. The pentile matrix is simply horrible.

2) The focus. Is impossible to have the correct focus on the entire image. If I can read perfectly the text (for example the oculus warning text) on the top and in the middle I can't read perfectly the text at the bottom. And viceversa.

3) The lenses touch the eyebrow. And the lenses get dirty if I sweat.

4) The DK2 is heavy if you wear it for more of 30 minutes... and the weight for the nose is too much (and there isn't rubber or something for it!), especially when you look often UP.

5) if you try to clean the lenses they are easily scratched

6) due to the screen door effect and the focus issue I have nausea after 20 minutes (I never had nausea in my entire life... and I tested a lot 3D TV, VPR etc).

I know that this oculus DK2 is only a "DEV KIT"... and I bought it just for this reason.
But with the screen door effects and the focus issue is really hard to use.
However... there are also some good points:

- The colours are good. The display has also good shadows and good black level.
- The position tracking work really good
- The SDK software is good.
- THe persistance is really low
- The various demo are great. This is the technology of the future.

In summary I expected much more from this DK2 (and my pretensions were still quite low).
The software is good, but the object itself is bad. The consumer version should be at least 4K, smaller, more light and with better lenses.

These are just my 2 cents.
109 REPLIES 109

sagepictures
Honored Guest
Fwiw, the CV1 has been stated to address all of these points (since the DK2 announcement). It became clear to me when trying the DK2 out for the first time why Palmer so heavily emphasized that non-developers should wait - the CV1 is simply what the human mind intuitively wants and expects out of a complete VR experience (the DK2 falls short).

Kzero
Honored Guest

inzanian
Honored Guest
This is exactly why people like you should stay away from a DEV KIT!!?!
CV1 will most likely be 1440p and 90 hz, which is the highest they can go with our current GPU market.
A 4k version would probably be 120 hz, do you see any kind of machine capable of running a constant 120 frames, rendered in stereoscopic 3D?
Now, go away, instead of diminishing the rift.

equusvenustas
Honored Guest
"sagepictures" wrote:
Fwiw, the CV1 has been stated to address all of these points (since the DK2 announcement). It became clear to me when trying the DK2 out for the first time why Palmer so heavily emphasized that non-developers should wait - the CV1 is simply what the human mind intuitively wants and expects out of a complete VR experience (the DK2 falls short).

"equusvenustas" wrote:
Hey Ocolus i paid money for a SAO like experience, and by doing that i deserve being treated like royalty, were it is? i want a virtual reality glasses with 64080p resolution per eye and it has to cost 20 dollars and i want to plug it in my xbox360 and it has to look like sunglasses. Fucking facebook.
now i cant develop with tis piece of whatever that makes me sick when i play COD and Battlefield. i am going to sue. :evil:

Now you see why i did that post? the recent influx of "enthusiasts" complaining like in my exaggerated post is annoying, far from being useful feedback its starting to look like spam.
Knowledge, the ever growing and most powerful tool known. Pick it up! the common fools are scared of it!

JohnMarsten
Honored Guest
"jonathan87" wrote:
Hi guys,

Today I spent the whole day to test the Oculus DK2 that I received this morning... and I'm very very disappointed.
I will summarize, in order of importance, the problems encountered:

1) The screen door effects is absolutely TERRIBLE. I didn't bought the DK1 for the low resolution, but the DK2 is still terrible. I can see clearly each pixel, and the details of the images are very very low.
I tryed the oculus lens on the same distance on my Iphone with retina display and the result is similar, but better. The pentile matrix is simply horrible.

2) The focus. Is impossible to have the correct focus on the entire image. If I can read perfectly the text (for example the oculus warning text) on the top and in the middle I can't read perfectly the text at the bottom. And viceversa.

4) The DK2 is heavy if you wear it for more of 30 minutes... and the weight for the nose is too much (and there isn't rubber or something for it!), especially when you look often UP.

5) if you try to clean the lenses they are easily scratched

6) due to the screen door effect and the focus issue I have nausea after 20 minutes (I never had nausea in my entire life... and I tested a lot 3D TV, VPR etc).

I know that this oculus DK2 is only a "DEV KIT"... and I bought it just for this reason.
But with the screen door effects and the focus issue is really hard to use.
However... there are also some good points:

- The colours are good. The display has also good shadows and good black level.
- The position tracking work really good
- The SDK software is good.
- THe persistance is really low
- The various demo are great. This is the technology of the future.

In summary I expected much more from this DK2 (and my pretensions were still quite low).
The software is good, but the object itself is bad. The consumer version should be at least 4K, smaller, more light and with better lenses.

These are just my 2 cents.

I will give you $350AUD for it :mrgreen:
DK2 Status: Shipped Ordered: August 3rd at 4:15pm Shipped: October 31st

drash
Heroic Explorer
"jonathan87" wrote:

Assuming you've calibrated your IPD (and following instructions for the relief dials on the sides), and assuming you've got the DK2 seated on your face in the best possible spot (by moving it vertically up/down, not tilting it), both your points #1 and #2 are likely very much exacerbated by the incorrectly-dialed in chromatic aberration correction. The color separation makes it really easy to pick up those little pentile subpixels. We're waiting on an update from Oculus to address this soon, hopefully.

"jonathan87" wrote:

I won't claim the DK2 fits every face, but you should be able to turn those dials on the sides (with a coin) to make the lenses move away from your eyes as much as needed.

"jonathan87" wrote:

I think this means your DK2 isn't held securely enough on your head. Have you experimented with the top strap vs side strap lengths? Having said that, DK2 is definitely heavier than DK1, and we are told CV1 will get the industrial design treatment and get lighter. Going to be very interesting to see how they pull this off.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

mrgreen72
Superstar
I'll wait for the inevitable "I was wrong and I apologize" thread in a few days.

Riftology
Honored Guest
Try finding another HMD with same quality for that price then cone back

KisatoSP
Honored Guest
All of those issues will be addressed in CV1 or through software updates from Oculus for those DK2 fixables. If you didn't know what you were getting into with purchasing the DK2, then you shouldn't have purchased it.

As far as SDE goes, having used DK1, I see a pretty large improvement to where, for most demos, I can't notice SDE without outright looking for it, or strongly focusing on a far-away object. It's not too much of an impediment compared to DK1, I think you're really over-exaggerating the SDE issue here.