Today I spent the whole day to test the Oculus DK2 that I received this morning... and I'm very very disappointed.
I will summarize, in order of importance, the problems encountered:
1) The screen door effects is absolutely TERRIBLE. I didn't bought the DK1 for the low resolution, but the DK2 is still terrible. I can see clearly each pixel, and the details of the images are very very low.
I tryed the oculus lens on the same distance on my Iphone with retina display and the result is similar, but better. The pentile matrix is simply horrible.
2) The focus. Is impossible to have the correct focus on the entire image. If I can read perfectly the text (for example the oculus warning text) on the top and in the middle I can't read perfectly the text at the bottom. And viceversa.
3) The lenses touch the eyebrow. And the lenses get dirty if I sweat.
4) The DK2 is heavy if you wear it for more of 30 minutes... and the weight for the nose is too much (and there isn't rubber or something for it!), especially when you look often UP.
5) if you try to clean the lenses they are easily scratched
6) due to the screen door effect and the focus issue I have nausea after 20 minutes (I never had nausea in my entire life... and I tested a lot 3D TV, VPR etc).
I know that this oculus DK2 is only a "DEV KIT"... and I bought it just for this reason.
But with the screen door effects and the focus issue is really hard to use.
However... there are also some good points:
- The colours are good. The display has also good shadows and good black level.
- The position tracking work really good
- The SDK software is good.
- THe persistance is really low
- The various demo are great. This is the technology of the future.
In summary I expected much more from this DK2 (and my pretensions were still quite low).
The software is good, but the object itself is bad. The consumer version should be at least 4K, smaller, more light and with better lenses.
These are just my 2 cents.