I tested the DK2.... I'm very disappointed. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I tested the DK2.... I'm very disappointed.

jonathan87jonathan87 Posts: 13
edited August 2014 in General
Hi guys,

Today I spent the whole day to test the Oculus DK2 that I received this morning... and I'm very very disappointed.
I will summarize, in order of importance, the problems encountered:

1) The screen door effects is absolutely TERRIBLE. I didn't bought the DK1 for the low resolution, but the DK2 is still terrible. I can see clearly each pixel, and the details of the images are very very low.
I tryed the oculus lens on the same distance on my Iphone with retina display and the result is similar, but better. The pentile matrix is simply horrible.

2) The focus. Is impossible to have the correct focus on the entire image. If I can read perfectly the text (for example the oculus warning text) on the top and in the middle I can't read perfectly the text at the bottom. And viceversa.

3) The lenses touch the eyebrow. And the lenses get dirty if I sweat.

4) The DK2 is heavy if you wear it for more of 30 minutes... and the weight for the nose is too much (and there isn't rubber or something for it!), especially when you look often UP.

5) if you try to clean the lenses they are easily scratched

6) due to the screen door effect and the focus issue I have nausea after 20 minutes (I never had nausea in my entire life... and I tested a lot 3D TV, VPR etc).

I know that this oculus DK2 is only a "DEV KIT"... and I bought it just for this reason.
But with the screen door effects and the focus issue is really hard to use.
However... there are also some good points:

- The colours are good. The display has also good shadows and good black level.
- The position tracking work really good
- The SDK software is good.
- THe persistance is really low
- The various demo are great. This is the technology of the future.

In summary I expected much more from this DK2 (and my pretensions were still quite low).
The software is good, but the object itself is bad. The consumer version should be at least 4K, smaller, more light and with better lenses.

These are just my 2 cents.

Comments

• Fwiw, the CV1 has been stated to address all of these points (since the DK2 announcement). It became clear to me when trying the DK2 out for the first time why Palmer so heavily emphasized that non-developers should wait - the CV1 is simply what the human mind intuitively wants and expects out of a complete VR experience (the DK2 falls short).
  • KzeroKzero Posts: 158
    ZBHAqYj.gif
    3Tzfztf.gif
  • inzanianinzanian Posts: 13
    This is exactly why people like you should stay away from a DEV KIT!!?!
    CV1 will most likely be 1440p and 90 hz, which is the highest they can go with our current GPU market.
    A 4k version would probably be 120 hz, do you see any kind of machine capable of running a constant 120 frames, rendered in stereoscopic 3D?
    Now, go away, instead of diminishing the rift.
  • equusvenustasequusvenustas Posts: 189
    NerveGear
    Fwiw, the CV1 has been stated to address all of these points (since the DK2 announcement). It became clear to me when trying the DK2 out for the first time why Palmer so heavily emphasized that non-developers should wait - the CV1 is simply what the human mind intuitively wants and expects out of a complete VR experience (the DK2 falls short).
    Hey Ocolus i paid money for a SAO like experience, and by doing that i deserve being treated like royalty, were it is? i want a virtual reality glasses with 64080p resolution per eye and it has to cost 20 dollars and i want to plug it in my xbox360 and it has to look like sunglasses. Fucking facebook.
    now i cant develop with tis piece of whatever that makes me sick when i play COD and Battlefield. i am going to sue. :evil:

Now you see why i did that post? the recent influx of "enthusiasts" complaining like in my exaggerated post is annoying, far from being useful feedback its starting to look like spam.
    Knowledge, the ever growing and most powerful tool known. Pick it up! the common fools are scared of it!
  • jonathan87 wrote:
    Hi guys,

Today I spent the whole day to test the Oculus DK2 that I received this morning... and I'm very very disappointed.

1) The screen door effects is absolutely TERRIBLE. I didn't bought the DK1 for the low resolution, but the DK2 is still terrible. I can see clearly each pixel, and the details of the images are very very low.
    I tryed the oculus lens on the same distance on my Iphone with retina display and the result is similar, but better. The pentile matrix is simply horrible.

2) The focus. Is impossible to have the correct focus on the entire image. If I can read perfectly the text (for example the oculus warning text) on the top and in the middle I can't read perfectly the text at the bottom. And viceversa.

4) The DK2 is heavy if you wear it for more of 30 minutes... and the weight for the nose is too much (and there isn't rubber or something for it!), especially when you look often UP.

6) due to the screen door effect and the focus issue I have nausea after 20 minutes (I never had nausea in my entire life... and I tested a lot 3D TV, VPR etc).

I know that this oculus DK2 is only a "DEV KIT"... and I bought it just for this reason.
    But with the screen door effects and the focus issue is really hard to use.
    However... there are also some good points:

- The colours are good. The display has also good shadows and good black level.
    - The position tracking work really good
    - THe persistance is really low
    - The various demo are great. This is the technology of the future.

In summary I expected much more from this DK2 (and my pretensions were still quite low).
    The software is good, but the object itself is bad. The consumer version should be at least 4K, smaller, more light and with better lenses.

I will give you $350AUD for it :mrgreen:
    DK2 Status: Shipped
    Ordered: August 3rd at 4:15pm
    Shipped: October 31st
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,844
    Trinity
    jonathan87 wrote:

Assuming you've calibrated your IPD (and following instructions for the relief dials on the sides), and assuming you've got the DK2 seated on your face in the best possible spot (by moving it vertically up/down, not tilting it), both your points #1 and #2 are likely very much exacerbated by the incorrectly-dialed in chromatic aberration correction. The color separation makes it really easy to pick up those little pentile subpixels. We're waiting on an update from Oculus to address this soon, hopefully.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    I won't claim the DK2 fits every face, but you should be able to turn those dials on the sides (with a coin) to make the lenses move away from your eyes as much as needed.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    I think this means your DK2 isn't held securely enough on your head. Have you experimented with the top strap vs side strap lengths? Having said that, DK2 is definitely heavier than DK1, and we are told CV1 will get the industrial design treatment and get lighter. Going to be very interesting to see how they pull this off.
  • mrgreen72mrgreen72 Posts: 683
    Art3mis
    I'll wait for the inevitable "I was wrong and I apologize" thread in a few days.
  • RiftologyRiftology Posts: 303
    Try finding another HMD with same quality for that price then cone back
  • KisatoSPKisatoSP Posts: 19
    All of those issues will be addressed in CV1 or through software updates from Oculus for those DK2 fixables. If you didn't know what you were getting into with purchasing the DK2, then you shouldn't have purchased it.

As far as SDE goes, having used DK1, I see a pretty large improvement to where, for most demos, I can't notice SDE without outright looking for it, or strongly focusing on a far-away object. It's not too much of an impediment compared to DK1, I think you're really over-exaggerating the SDE issue here.
  • pierreyepierreye Posts: 74
    Brain Burst
    The primary objective for DK2 is for developers to get their games/apps ready for CV1 launch. Without software, the hardware is nothing. If anyone expect DK2 to be perfectly stable to play all their favourite game, please move on. This is not the right product for you. Although I'm not a developer, I'm willing to accept the compromise for DK2 as I want the first hand experience in what to be expected in coming VR technology. Most of us here know how to keep our expectation in check and instead of bitching, give constructive feedback how to better the technology for wider adoption. Think of us as privilege beta tester in VR. Most thing had been taken for granted. I don't see any company pushing VR as hard as Oculus Rift. Still remember when we discuss on VR solution last 3 years, HMZ-T1 seems like our saviour for HMD.
  • erickerick Posts: 125
    Brain Burst
    jonathan87 wrote:
    The consumer version should be at least 4K, smaller, more light and with better lenses.
    As previously said, Oculus has stated for some time now that CV1 will be a superior product that addresses many of the items you've listed. I also wanted to add that 4K mobile screens are not currently available. More importantly, there are cost considerations.

As with anything, there are trade offs. It's easy to demand every feature to be better. Oculus can't do magic and few people want to spend thousands of dollars to buy a HMD.
  • dzuckerdzucker Posts: 104
    edited August 2014
    I like these kind of posts, they help me lower my expectations so that when I try it for the first time, I won't be as disappointed as he was. :)

But seriously, he's just being honest. When CV1 comes out, I'm afraid that unless they really address a lot of the points he mentions, we'll have to expect some negative reviews like this. We already have a good idea that the CV1's screen will be 1440P, so if he thinks that 1080p is that terrible, there will be many thinking 1440P is bad too. And one type of negative review that we're not seeing right now, but that I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of when the CV1 comes out is from uninformed consumers complaining about how laggy it runs on their laptops and old desktop computers. I've been reading that some people think it will be a good idea to release it for Christmas of 2015. I'm not sure if that is such a wise move. Yes people will be caught up in the media hype and yes they'll probably make a lot of initial sales, as consumers will be buying this for their loved ones thinking it will make the greatest Christmas gift. And those non-technical BestBuy type salesmen will be part of that hype helping to push this product out the door. Only to find out later that their loved ones hated it and returned it because it ran so badly on their old computers that it gave them headaches and nausea. I think releasing it a couple months before Christmas would be better, this will allow the consumers, salesmen, and reviewers more time to research the product before buying it or recommending it.

**edit** Just wanted to add that what I wrote above really depends on how Oculus will market their product, of course if they market it to a smaller techy VR community, and stick with online sales then what I wrote probably won't be as much of an issue. But realistically, with Facebook pumping 2 billion into this, at some point they're going to have a say on how this gets marketed, and I'm sure their goal is to sell millions of units right off the bat, which means a lot of TV commercials and hype, so will we be seeing Oculus Rifts being sold at our local Bestbuy, Walmart and Target type stores. I don't know?
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    jonathan87 wrote:
    Hi guys,

The problem is mostly that you are too greedy, not aware of the limitations imposed by the laws of physics/maths/biology, and not appreciative enough of all the things it does right.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    You are right about the pentile matrix. And in this case Oculus were slightly misleading claiming 1080p. But this was chosen before they were bought by Facebook and they had to use preexisting screens that were available at a realistic price in the right size and resolution and that could accept the right signal. They also needed a screen that could do 75Hz and low persistence and which wasn't too heavy. The low persistence mode of this screen makes a huge improvement to the nausea you complained about.
    But it should be obvious that if a display fills almost your whole FOV then the pixels are going to look much larger than on a monitor, especially if half go to each eye. With the DK1 you could clearly see the space around each subpixel.
    Anyway, the screen door effect is not even close to terrible, just relax, enjoy the game, and you won't notice it after a minute or two.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    The warning text is a very bad example because games should never have things stuck to your face like that. I expect the warning will change in later versions of the software. The display is intended to be higher resolution in the centre and lower resolution at the edges and especially the corners where it is less important. They need to spread a limited number of pixels across a very large FOV, so they want most of them near the middle.
    However, you may have an unusual IPD (distance between your eyes) or the Rift might not be setting on your face correctly. That can make things blurrier than they are intended.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    And they scratch easily if you try to clean them, so be careful (the lenses are softer than in DK1). You can adjust the dials on the sides to stop the lenses touching your eyebrows (then change the setting in the config to match).
    jonathan87 wrote:
    Use the strap to have some of the weight on the top and back of your head.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    Yes. I don't know what they changed between DK1 and DK2, but the lenses didn't use to have that problem.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    I don't think they are the causes. I think it is motion sickness from the warning screen and from moving around in the game. You will get your sea-legs after using it more and get less sick.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    I disagree, but that is the part that will get a lot better without you having to pay anything more. The SDK had to be rushed to get it ready, and it is still super buggy.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    No your pretensions are high. The software is still bad but the object itself is good. The consumer version should obviously NOT be 4K and should NOT be smaller. It should be slightly lighter and have better lenses though. They just need to market the product to a higher quality customer who is capable of appreciating something amazing. If you don't care about being inside a virtual world, then it isn't going to be the product for you, because a lot of trade-offs needed to be made to achieve that.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    I'll give you 1 cent for it.
  • klasodethklasodeth Posts: 128
    Hiro Protagonist
    jonathan87 wrote:

You did not go in with low expectations at all. If you'd been familiar with the sorry state of VR up to this point, you'd be aware that even for all its flaws, the previous DK1 is a huge improvement over what came before. Look at those ridiculously low fields-of-view, terrible resolution, and ridiculous prices. Sure, I want the Oculus Rift to be perfect, but the DK2 that we have now (which you should recall is NOT the final consumer version) is an incredible value over what VR had to offer before. DK1 was enough to get people to finally take VR seriously for the first time, and CV1 is intended to have better specs than DK2. Oculus VR is doing everything they can with the technology available. They can't just pull bargain-priced 4K+ displays out of nowhere, and then connect them up to computers that generally aren't designed to support a 4K video at at 75Hz+ in the first place. Your expectations are officially too high for the technology available.

I wonder if people in the early '90s complained incessantly about how terrible Doom was for not supporting 1024x768 on release. Technology has to start somewhere.
  • VRLAXVRLAX Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Not trying to criticize your opinion or anything but VR isn't for everyone and I think you are probably better off with your monitor instead.
  • equusvenustasequusvenustas Posts: 189
    NerveGear
    klasodeth wrote:
    jonathan87 wrote:

You did not go in with low expectations at all. If you'd been familiar with the sorry state of VR up to this point, you'd be aware that even for all its flaws, the previous DK1 is a huge improvement over what came before. Look at those ridiculously low fields-of-view, terrible resolution, and ridiculous prices. Sure, I want the Oculus Rift to be perfect, but the DK2 that we have now (which you should recall is NOT the final consumer version) is an incredible value over what VR had to offer before. DK1 was enough to get people to finally take VR seriously for the first time, and CV1 is intended to have better specs than DK2. Oculus VR is doing everything they can with the technology available. They can't just pull bargain-priced 4K+ displays out of nowhere, and then connect them up to computers that generally aren't designed to support a 4K video at at 75Hz+ in the first place. Your expectations are officially too high for the technology available.

I wonder if people in the early '90s complained incessantly about how terrible Doom was for not supporting 1024x768 on release. Technology has to start somewhere.

That's a nice site to compare HMD's but i don't see the rift i think they need to update that table. Thanks for sharing!
    Knowledge, the ever growing and most powerful tool known. Pick it up! the common fools are scared of it!
  • You should not get disappointed by the "Development Kit" itself however the OP's evaluation of DK2 itself is very accurate, I would say.

When it was said what you experience in DK2 is very close to what CV1 will offer, people may well worry about CV1.
    Ordered : 20 Sep 2013 Number : 74XXX Status : Arrived
    Holy Blessed Email : Nov 5
    Arrived : Nov 13
    Shipping Email : Nov 14
  • tola5tola5 Posts: 82
    Brain Burst
    Fwiw, the CV1 has been stated to address all of these points (since the DK2 announcement). It became clear to me when trying the DK2 out for the first time why Palmer so heavily emphasized that non-developers should wait - the CV1 is simply what the human mind intuitively wants and expects out of a complete VR experience (the DK2 falls short).
    Hey Ocolus i paid money for a SAO like experience, and by doing that i deserve being treated like royalty, were it is? i want a virtual reality glasses with 64080p resolution per eye and it has to cost 20 dollars and i want to plug it in my xbox360 and it has to look like sunglasses. Fucking facebook.
    now i cant develop with tis piece of whatever that makes me sick when i play COD and Battlefield. i am going to sue. :evil:

Now you see why i did that post? the recent influx of "enthusiasts" complaining like in my exaggerated post is annoying, far from being useful feedback its starting to look like spam.

as not a developer but just a normal guy I 100% agree I have just read on the bort and se all the whining it so sad
  • HI Guys,

First of all I'm not a normal user. I bought the DK2 to develop.
    But in the last weeks I read a lot topics and reviews where the quality of DK2 was too praised....
    If we want to be realistic the end users should really NOT buy the DK2 because it's really rough. Is it okay just to have a beta to test software.
    I will continue my plans with the DK2, but I had created false expectations reading the forum. But in the end it is just what I expected (only less comfortable).
  • mesofiremesofire Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    jonathan87 wrote:
    HI Guys,

First of all I'm not a normal user. I bought the DK2 to develop.
    But in the last weeks I read a lot topics and reviews where the quality of DK2 was too praised....
    If we want to be realistic the end users should really NOT buy the DK2 because it's really rough. Is it okay just to have a beta to test software.
    I will continue my plans with the DK2, but I had created false expectations reading the forum. But in the end it is just what I expected (only less comfortable).

Dude.. Your expecting Oculus to spawn unicorns out their ass. What did you want them to do? Use expensive 1440p note 4 oled's that haven't been released yet? You are missing the point. Oculus decided to ship out beta hardware in incremental stages so developers and testers can give feedback

If you are a developer then having the "best" means absolutely nothing as long as you can still code and outsource your work to testers. You'll be surprised how many developers use laptops instead of high end PC's.
  • ThreeEyesThreeEyes Posts: 2,230
    NerveGear
    jonathan87 wrote:
    Hi guys,

[Wall of text because you didn't do your homework]

Hi Johnathan. Yes, DK2 is absolutely terrible if you expected the moon and a consumer product and totally ignored everyone saying over and over it was aimed at developers and discussing the hardware specs.

On the other hand, all those games you want to play will eventually be updated which may salvage some of the experience for you.

And the hardware isn't bad. It's actually very, very good. It's the a Crystal Cove discussed a lot at the beginning of the year to rave reviews. So sorry for you that it's not what you expected but all the information was out there this whole time had you bothered to look.

As you get older you will no doubt have more of these experiences. Learn to do your homework and look critically at things you plan to buy to make sure they are right for you.

Funny thing is DK2 (you know - development kit) is right for a lot of people but to each their own.

Just my two cents.
    But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:
  • SvenVikingSvenViking Posts: 296
    Art3mis
    dzucker wrote:
    We already have a good idea that the CV1's screen will be 1440P, so if he thinks that 1080p is that terrible, there will be many thinking 1440P is bad too.
    This is true, but note that he seemed to be even more upset about the SDE than about the resolution. Oculus has said the screen door will be gone in CV1.
    dzucker wrote:
    But realistically, with Facebook pumping 2 billion into this, at some point they're going to have a say on how this gets marketed, and I'm sure their goal is to sell millions of units right off the bat, which means a lot of TV commercials and hype, so will we be seeing Oculus Rifts being sold at our local Bestbuy, Walmart and Target type stores. I don't know?
    I was thinking that too, but recently they made it sound like it may only sell via their website at first, with nothing in retail stores. I'm starting to wonder if they might plan for CV2 to be the version that gets massive mainstream advertising.
    Scorched Battalion - VR Jam edition available for Gear VR and DK2 (Win/Mac/Linux)
    Jungle Juice
    Sven Co-op
    NerveGear
    edited August 2014
    I think CV1 will just be a stepping stone. Palmer said the design is done and they are just waiting on parts availability in one interview though there is wiggle room to know if that is really what he meant. It will most likely be the Samsung 2560x1440 display and the display is probably the holdup while all output goes to new phones.

CV2 will be the first model to see the benefit of the Facebook dollars and may be the one to get a custom display, eye tracking, etc. but all conjecture... :D

Depending on what is going on behind the scenes, some cool features could get brought into CV1 or who knows? Palmer originally had said in May or so that the next six months would be extremely busy which could have meant holiday 2014 for CV1 but recently he was talking about manufacturing realities and having to wait for things to come available which could be hinting at a later release.

We just don't know. Would sure be fun to be a fly on the wall and know more of this. I think we just get to wait and see.
    But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:
  • dandealerdandealer Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Hi, my thoughs about DK2 went from worst to better as I use it more, I received mine in the first batch and first weelk was a pain, software and hardware side, then I tweak straps and screen distance and was like a completly new device, munch confortable, some people put its best effords to solve hardware and software related issues and it starts to work smoother.

Yesterday showing this to a friend I was telling this same thing, I started complaining to myself about my spectatives and today I think that DK2 with solid software could be a Consumer Ready product. Just my thoughs about this dont want to polemize.

So in less than a month my thougs went from not that good to: "I'm really happy to be one of the lucky ones to have this device!"

If you dont mind as drash says above I'll advice you to play with the straps to find the famous sweet spot, its like pulling a veil from your eyes :P, I use screen far away from my face too, is most confortable and dont notice any adverse effect.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    SvenViking wrote:
    This is true, but note that he seemed to be even more upset about the SDE than about the resolution. Oculus has said the screen door will be gone in CV1.

I was thinking that too, but recently they made it sound like it may only sell via their website at first, with nothing in retail stores. I'm starting to wonder if they might plan for CV2 to be the version that gets massive mainstream advertising.

Well.. I don't care what they really do to resolution... it simply wont fix the problem by it self. So people that are requesting 4k screens to fix the SDE are just "hopeful" lost souls. We still need to clime up the wall into the 16k range to fix that from res alone sadly.

Now what I except them to do is add in some sort of defusser that will help lower it to the point that it wont be an issue. At least until higher quality hardware and software can make use of higher resolutions.

Actually the best move would be to sell it only on the website for now. Way too many .. misinform people out that will pick it up and then sadly be thrown back by what it takes to run it or simply not understand how it works well enough.

CV2 will have more on board graphics that should help lower the requirements and allow other devices to run it. That's when CV2 should be allowed in stores and to the public.
    NerveGear
    Dan - agree completely. DK2 is also the best VR HMD ever to be available outside of the high end military and industrial markets.

I tried the older stuff each time something new would come out and would just walk away disappointed. DK2 could have been held back for more devs to finish their work and then released as a consumer product.

This way, though, with 60k or so DK2s hitting the streets, it's a crash course in pretty much everything and a dress rehearsal for the main event. I think CV1 will be very cool and if it was announced for sale today, I would jump on it.
  • epicslothzepicslothz Posts: 116
    Haha 4k. And just like that VR once again becomes the hobby of only the super rich unless Wolfenstein 3D and Doom II graphics are the benchmark for playable games.
  • love mine!

a fan blowing lightly at your upper body removes and chance of fogging or heat
  • Paul33993Paul33993 Posts: 406
    A lot of the issues could be greatly reduced if you actually used the eye relief adjusters that are included. There really isn't any difference in FOV with DK2, so don't have the lenses hit your eye balls. IMO, backing it up does three things:

1.) Improves focus
    2.) Keeps the lenses cleaner (since it no longer has to scrape against your forehead getting it on). And no oils from your eye lids are scraping against it.
    3.) It's a TON more comfortable. Even if you have a big nose. With decent eye relief and proper strap adjustments, it WON'T be resting on your nose. Period.
  • erickerick Posts: 125
    Brain Burst
    jonathan87 wrote:
    I bought the DK2 to develop.
    You should have better expectations. Have you never engineered a software solution that depends on a third party that isn't finished yet? That is pretty standard when working on custom solutions with partners.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    The Rift is literally the world's best HMD in it's class. It has been awarded best hardware at every event that's judged it. It was created by a company only two years old. "Too praised" compared to what?
    jonathan87 wrote:
    If we want to be realistic
    I believe the issue with most people responding is that you're not being realistic. You're insisting that the Rift should have high end display technology that doesn't even exist.

Yet, how much do you think the Rift should cost? If you truly want your software to reach a reasonably sized market, it has to remain low cost.
    jonathan87 wrote:
    the end users should really NOT buy the DK2
    That has been the official statement repeated ad nauseam.