cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outerra Tech Demo - The whole planet Earth

camenix
Honored Guest
Outerra Tech Demo (the free version), as well as the full version of our alpha sandbox game (Anteworld) now come with Oculus Rift support.

Outerra is a 3D planetary engine in development, capable of seamless planet rendering from space down to the surface. It uses real elevation data of Earth, refining it to centimeter resolution using fractal algorithms. It offers unlimited visibility, progressive download of data and procedural content generation. For more info see the features and the Outerra forums.

Download the latest version here: demo.outerra.com

In case of problems please see the instructions for graphics driver issues, startup problems.

The demo can be upgraded to the full version in-game, after you verify it's working alright and want to support the development. The engine is still alpha, meaning there's lots of stuff still being worked on - more biomes, 3D trees etc.

To use with Oculus Rift:

• check "use if present" in graphics/stereoscopic settings in the main menu

• select a higher resolution if possible to help with the aliasing

• by default the stereoscopic mode uses a reduced quality grass, you can uncheck it in the stereoscopic settings if your graphics card is powerful enough

• restart

• you should have the magnetometer calibrated using the OculusConfigUtil to to avoid drift. To reset the orientation, press the semicolon key

• you can use alt+semicolon to toggle between the stereo and mono modes

Happy roaming the planet!
Outerra
120 REPLIES 120

ReT
Honored Guest
Looks absolutely INCREDIBLE! 😮 I can't WAIT to check this out when I get home - Already did a quick TeamViewer session to make sure its downloaded as i get in 😄

Jimmarn
Honored Guest
I bought this a while back, and it was awesome, I can't wait to try this in VR

Leth45
Honored Guest
Wow... Really deserves some attention this one!

mrgreen72
Superstar
Once I've enabled the Oculus Rift the game doesn't start anymore. Double click, nothing happens.

MrGeddings
Explorer
i has the full version pretty so far cant wait to try it on the rift!

camenix
Honored Guest
"mrgreen72" wrote:
Once I've enabled the Oculus Rift the game doesn't start anymore. Double click, nothing happens.

Sometimes there are issues with Windows UAC when you install the data into the program directory, but in the last version this should be handled. Can you PM me the eng.log?
Outerra

Pingles
Explorer
"camenix" wrote:
"mrgreen72" wrote:

Sometimes there are issues with Windows UAC when you install the data into the program directory, but in the last version this should be handled. Can you PM me the eng.log?

I am in the same boat. Since purchasing I just freeze after moving past the launcher page. Unfortunately I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice and can no longer run in either paid or demo mode. Heartbreaking.

Please let us know what you find.

evill33t
Honored Guest
Is the engine only available for windows? A OS X version would be great.

camenix
Honored Guest
Please PM me the eng.log - it can be found in the Outerra data directory (the second directory that was selected during the install, by default in Users\yourwinname\outerra\eng.log)

Also, when uninstalling, the cfg files stay - you should delete them manually to be sure. Move them away, and it was the cause please send them to me as well, so I can debug it. Thanks!
Outerra