cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I tested the DK2.... I'm very disappointed.

jonathan87
Honored Guest
Hi guys,

Today I spent the whole day to test the Oculus DK2 that I received this morning... and I'm very very disappointed.
I will summarize, in order of importance, the problems encountered:

1) The screen door effects is absolutely TERRIBLE. I didn't bought the DK1 for the low resolution, but the DK2 is still terrible. I can see clearly each pixel, and the details of the images are very very low.
I tryed the oculus lens on the same distance on my Iphone with retina display and the result is similar, but better. The pentile matrix is simply horrible.

2) The focus. Is impossible to have the correct focus on the entire image. If I can read perfectly the text (for example the oculus warning text) on the top and in the middle I can't read perfectly the text at the bottom. And viceversa.

3) The lenses touch the eyebrow. And the lenses get dirty if I sweat.

4) The DK2 is heavy if you wear it for more of 30 minutes... and the weight for the nose is too much (and there isn't rubber or something for it!), especially when you look often UP.

5) if you try to clean the lenses they are easily scratched

6) due to the screen door effect and the focus issue I have nausea after 20 minutes (I never had nausea in my entire life... and I tested a lot 3D TV, VPR etc).

I know that this oculus DK2 is only a "DEV KIT"... and I bought it just for this reason.
But with the screen door effects and the focus issue is really hard to use.
However... there are also some good points:

- The colours are good. The display has also good shadows and good black level.
- The position tracking work really good
- The SDK software is good.
- THe persistance is really low
- The various demo are great. This is the technology of the future.

In summary I expected much more from this DK2 (and my pretensions were still quite low).
The software is good, but the object itself is bad. The consumer version should be at least 4K, smaller, more light and with better lenses.

These are just my 2 cents.
109 REPLIES 109

tiepilot68
Honored Guest
"JohnMarsten" wrote:
"jonathan87" wrote:
Hi guys,

Today I spent the whole day to test the Oculus DK2 that I received this morning... and I'm very very disappointed.
I will summarize, in order of importance, the problems encountered:

1) The screen door effects is absolutely TERRIBLE. I didn't bought the DK1 for the low resolution, but the DK2 is still terrible. I can see clearly each pixel, and the details of the images are very very low.
I tryed the oculus lens on the same distance on my Iphone with retina display and the result is similar, but better. The pentile matrix is simply horrible.

2) The focus. Is impossible to have the correct focus on the entire image. If I can read perfectly the text (for example the oculus warning text) on the top and in the middle I can't read perfectly the text at the bottom. And viceversa.

3) The lenses touch the eyebrow. And the lenses get dirty if I sweat.

4) The DK2 is heavy if you wear it for more of 30 minutes... and the weight for the nose is too much (and there isn't rubber or something for it!), especially when you look often UP.

5) if you try to clean the lenses they are easily scratched

6) due to the screen door effect and the focus issue I have nausea after 20 minutes (I never had nausea in my entire life... and I tested a lot 3D TV, VPR etc).

I know that this oculus DK2 is only a "DEV KIT"... and I bought it just for this reason.
But with the screen door effects and the focus issue is really hard to use.
However... there are also some good points:

- The colours are good. The display has also good shadows and good black level.
- The position tracking work really good
- The SDK software is good.
- THe persistance is really low
- The various demo are great. This is the technology of the future.

In summary I expected much more from this DK2 (and my pretensions were still quite low).
The software is good, but the object itself is bad. The consumer version should be at least 4K, smaller, more light and with better lenses.

These are just my 2 cents.

I will give you $350AUD for it :mrgreen:

Ok, you got a real laugh out of me for this! :lol:

After reading about the plight of all you Aussies, I'm impressed with your great sense of humor!

Good job!

(Visited Australia back in 2000... great bunch of people!)

Here's hoping your issues with customs or whatever powers that be that are keeping things tied up, gets worked out asap. 🙂

pewzie
Honored Guest
"Sharpfish" wrote:
Well I'm 'in' (finally) and I love it. I'm not disappointed in the slightest. It's exactly what I expected from the technical specs and a realistic expectation, furthermore the upsides are 'wow' to me. I simply can not dwell on a work in progress technical flaws when it's so clearly a stepping stone to the future. From the second I put the rift on and got a demo running (which all went very easily after I'd figured out the screen flipping/modes etc) my mind was fired up with possibilities and I was in for 3-4 hours with barely any motion sickness, only towards the end by pushing it in HL2 by moving super fast around the place on purpose to test myself, and that was also cos I hadn't slept for 24 hours (not due to the rift). Generally I'm very good with stuff like that, no motion sickness in reality, almost dead on average IPD (64-65).

So, seriously, it IS a dev kit meant to provide enough of an experience to work on and finish your software and it does that just fine. If I was just a consumer and had dreamed of 'perfect' VR then maybe this wouldn't be what I wanted exactly, and I'm not just being a 'fanboy', but it's amazing. Consider the pittance we paid for these things, the quality generally of the build, packaging etc (which is extremely good imo for a 'dev kit') I'm just amazed we got something like this, at last, for that price with POSITIONAL TRACKING that actually fricking works, decent FOV, decent (though obv far from perfect) resolution.

Screen door is seriously not an issue for a dev kit, I zone it out same with the FOV 'problem', same with the black smear - what little I saw, some people really over-stated that being an immersion breaker! It just looks like dancing shadows, no it's not perfect but it's easily over-lookable for the status the DK2 is and ALL THE POSITIVES IT PROVIDES!

Aside from a brief go in a DK1 last year I'm essentially a VRgin, maybe that helps.. I dunno, but I was definitely more pleased than disappointed and I've only scratched the surface. No tech has made my mind race with possibilities like this has since I got my first computer (A spectrum) way back in the mid 80s!! Well done Palmer and Co and thanks a million for getting this tech to us this good with this many WORKING features and at this price, before we died!!!

Any flaw that can realistically be levelled at the DK2, to me, is just an exciting chance/possibility to be improved and fixed in the future! No it's not really ready for prime time as a consumer device but that's mostly due to ergonomics and the fuss of the strap/eye relief adjustment for multi users, a simpler cleaner universal system would be great so you could pass it more easily to your buddy/wife etc without loads of adjustments - but the actual screen tech, fov , tracking etc is pretty much still a very very cool and acceptable experience for the masses imo, if it was packaged more slickly, and more readily worked without fiddling around with display modes, runtimes etc... Oculus are definitely on the right path here.

I will give a more in-depth 'review' in a week or so when I've had a lot more time with it, but lowering my expectations via seeing threads like these may have helped because I was laughing like a kid at Xmas on the first couple of demos I tried (one of them was Lava inc coaster - very simple and nothing amazing graphically and still it felt awesome). After the laughing stopped I didn't grow bored or disappointed, I would sit there looking around for ages just imagining the posibilities, I did NOT focus on SDE, screen borders, Chromatic Aberration, black smear nor any light leak into the HMD, or the wire on the top of my head etc... none of it mattered, NONE of it. THIS is the dawn of true VR and that is what mattered - how could anyone think otherwise?

The main thing and pretty much the only thing that is a strong negative for me is resolution and aliasing (some of that is software dependent as some things looked far smoother than others) and we know that's only gonna get better and better so I'm very pleased.

Honestly I don't know how you guys are on the forum talking so much about what a let down it is instead of just jumping into your projects and getting on with creating worlds with this great new tech. It's all gonna get better and this was worth every penny. I'd have paid twice as much for this and been happy. You can quote me on that.

BTW my positional tracking and ability to turn fully around to look behind me is working great, one of the best/most natural aspects and I think too many people are taking that for granted. I honestly could NOT be happy with DK1 with lack of positional tracking. I tried a demo without positional tracking and HL2 also didn't have it working I think? and both of those made me feel nowhere near as 'at home'. I have my camera set up dead on 5 feet and it didn't drop a beat.

Sorry I rambled on but this device has me excited not disappointed. Any developer who can see the potential should be smiling from ear to ear not labouring the negatives of technical restrictions that OVR are working hard to sort out.

To me pretty much the only big points are Resolution and FOV, but even the FOV is 'fine' for what it is right now, afterall you DO have a 'ski mask' of sorts on your face so it kinda ties in with reality lol. I'm not just playing it down either, the lack of super large FOV did NOT stop me feeling I was 'in' there...! Resolution is low but not so low things are not enjoyable, I guess everyone is so spoiled these days with their retina tablets etc... I happily make a concession to lower res for TRUE FREAKING VR PEOPLE!! COME ON!!!! 🙂

Stop bringing VR down before it even starts, get to work on creating great experiences for it and let Oculus continue to improve it their side.

:mrgreen:

p.s Bring on CV1, I'll be there day one pre-order! Can't wait! 8-) (Cyber we need a HMD wearing smiley/emoticon!)

Good read. Not tried mine yet as still waiting for my graphics card to arrive. I had an email teaser from Amazon that it would be delivered today, but whatever. 😄

I have to say its certainly easier for me to appreciate tech in development stages after being around for most of the growth in home computers and consoles over the last 30 years. When you have sat and enjoyed a spectrum you can certainly enjoy kit like this. I can also still appreciate spectrum games even now.

P.S Love the avatar, ahhh memories !

ramon
Protege
"erick" wrote:
"jonathan87" wrote:
The consumer version should be at least 4K, smaller, more light and with better lenses.

As previously said, Oculus has stated for some time now that CV1 will be a superior product that addresses many of the items you've listed. I also wanted to add that 4K mobile screens are not currently available. More importantly, there are cost considerations.

As with anything, there are trade offs. It's easy to demand every feature to be better. Oculus can't do magic and few people want to spend thousands of dollars to buy a HMD.

4K screens are available!
http://news.oled-display.net/auo-developed-5-7-inch-wqhd-amoled/

uvflyer
Honored Guest
How can you be disappointed?! I found it way better than expected with all people talking about the very bad SDE and resolution. It's way clearer than I thought it would be.

saviornt
Protege
Kids these days, sheesh.

I remember when I thought Wolfenstein 3D and Doom looked realistic :lol: Ah, the good ole days.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

mrgreen72
Superstar

erick
Honored Guest
"ramon" wrote:
4K screens are available!
http://news.oled-display.net/auo-developed-5-7-inch-wqhd-amoled/

AUO is ready to showcase the world highes resolution AMOLED with WQHD 2560×1440 Pixel or 513 ppi for smartphones.

Ready to showcase is not "available". 4K will be available soon enough. It's not available now, it wasn't available when DK2 was designed and production started. It will likely still be too expensive by the time CV1 is available, but we'll see.

The grammar and spelling on that site is terrible, by the way.

mrgreen72
Superstar
And this isn't 4K.

erick
Honored Guest
"mrgreen72" wrote:
And this isn't 4K.

:lol: Yes, that too.

klasodeth
Honored Guest
"mrgreen72" wrote:
And this isn't 4K.