cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom 3 WIP

gplourde
Honored Guest
Original Doom3 for Oculus Rift DK2 - WIP!

Last updated: [September 16, 2014]

This is using the original GPL code so compatible with mods.

Project page: https://github.com/Perpixel/Doom3
Current build download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22702748/Doom3_VR_09162014a.zip

Objectives:
1) Getting 100% of Doom3 functionality working in the Rift DK2.
2) Adding VR experience with updated UI and controls.
3) Keeping the code portable and usable to other projects.

This is a project started in mid August 2014 and progress very quickly so far the game is playable but missing head position tracking. No work done on the UI yet. Not recommended to play just yet.

Known issues:
Post processing look different from one eye to the other.
Frustum error cause problem in some very small area where one eye see something and the other doesn't.
HUD doesnt fit screen.
Head position tracking is not working.
Using the PDA offset the HMD orientation. Workaround is to not move your head at all when you open the PDA
123 REPLIES 123

Immersionist
Honored Guest
"gplourde" wrote:
If anyone want to give it a try PM me. Only the first five and need to show proof you developed something with the devkits.

Did anyone PM you? Unfortunately I can't help you aside from donations and user feedback on implementation of the port.

Shannonb1
Explorer
"Immersionist" wrote:
"gplourde" wrote:
If anyone want to give it a try PM me. Only the first five and need to show proof you developed something with the devkits.

Did anyone PM you? Unfortunately I can't help you aside from donations and user feedback on implementation of the port.

I did but no response. Feelings aren't hurt

gplourde
Honored Guest
I'm not ready to share it with everyone since I have not a single clue how I will handle aiming and UI yet. My offer was for peoples that would be able to compile the code themselves and set things up without support. AKA programmers interested in this stuff.

Today I integrated the laser aiming from BFG but I think its a pretty poor option. I'll look into a laser Dot that move on screen with the mouse (like the Quake2 port) but with depth. I also want to align the weapon with that dot so it feel right. My other problem is with the view models of the weapons. They are way to close to the player camera and look double pretty much like when you move something close to your face. It is very distracting and need to go.

About the dark mod. I believe the modify the Doom3 source and not just the gamedll. Integrating my change into that should be easy but not something I want to do myself. The other thing is that I realise its not really possible to give player a good VR experience if you don't modify the HUD and aiming. I'll look into using a wiimote or PS eye/move.

mindabuse
Explorer
"gplourde" wrote:
I'm not ready to share it with everyone since I have not a single clue how I will handle aiming and UI yet. My offer was for peoples that would be able to compile the code themselves and set things up without support. AKA programmers interested in this stuff.

I'd strongly suggest getting set up with Github if you aren't already. You could set up your own fork of the source that you'd check your work in to. Then other developers can collaborate and/or help you without needing to wait on emailing source code around. It's really a great way to collaborate.

gplourde
Honored Guest
I do use private git repo. Not to sure how to manage the conflicting licensing issue with the rift SDK. Probably need to write a rift sdk DLL and not link to the sdk library. That is pretty much why I don't have it public. At this point I even consider having all the GPL code on GIT and non GPL code somewhere else with a script to download all the code and then merge/build locally on the user PC with VS express. That way I don't have to deal with the licensing problems.

gplourde
Honored Guest
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22702748/DOOM3_DK2_270814.zip

+set com_allowConsole 1 +set vr_enableOculusRiftRendering 1 +set si_pure 0

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
"gplourde" wrote:
I do use private git repo. Not to sure how to manage the conflicting licensing issue with the rift SDK. Probably need to write a rift sdk DLL and not link to the sdk library. That is pretty much why I don't have it public. At this point I even consider having all the GPL code on GIT and non GPL code somewhere else with a script to download all the code and then merge/build locally on the user PC with VS express. That way I don't have to deal with the licensing problems.

Just do what I do, use the SDK like normal, don't include LibOVR in the repository, and ask the developer to copy the LibOVR folder from their SDK to a directory where your project looks for it.

If it's GPL 2 then you are explicitly allowed to use operating system components (eg. hardware drivers) in source code form. I haven't checked GPL 3, but as long as you don't work for Oculus or Zenimax, close enough is good enough here.

The far more important licensing issue is the one you are violating by not giving us the source code!

gplourde
Honored Guest
Are you asking for the code? Because from what I understand on GPL you have to provide the code on request. So no I don't violate anything. I'll upload the code on github probably tonight when I have some time. Last night I finished putting back the original rendering path in so you can use command line to enable or disable VR. PRetty useful when you just want to work on non vr code change. Also I think I got every code added inside a ifdef oculus so its easy to track.

Next task is to decouple the aiming and head tracking. moving the mouse will aiming the weapon and lasersight on screen. Moving it to the edges will turn the player. Also ordered a PS move.. Not sure if thats a good option for control but I want to try.

govny
Explorer
"gplourde" wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22702748/DOOM3_DK2_270814.zip

+set com_allowConsole 1 +set vr_enableOculusRiftRendering 1 +set si_pure 0

tryed it.
extended mode.
Doesn't work.
AMD videocard.

SvenViking
Protege
About the FOV being wrong: This doesn't help?

g_fov [angle] - Specifies the angle for the Field of View (FOV). The wider the angle, the larger the field of vision for the player, giving a "fish eye" view in effect, however performance will be reduced. The smaller the angle, the higher the performance. The default of 90 is recommended, but players can try 85 which is a value used in some other games and will gain a slight boost in FPS. In multiplayer, g_fov can only be changed between 90 and 110.
Scorched Battalion - VR Jam edition available for Gear VR and DK2 (Win/Mac/Linux) Jungle Juice Sven Co-op