cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starship Bridge Demo - Beta

tmek
Protege
This is a VR environmental demo based on the Star Trek Voyager bridge.

Historical Documents are now available for viewing!
Version 0.2 released for testing (don't post to reddit yet please). See update info below.

Press ALT-ENTER to enter fullscreen Rift mode.

You may need to download and install the Microsoft VC++ redistributable here.

I recommend wearing headphones. There are three audio dialog cues you can find and trigger. Press 'e' to fire photon torpedoes.

Made in Unreal Engine 4. It runs at 60fps on my machine with a 760gtx in Oculus Rift mode.
Not sure how it will fare on other hardware.

If someone with a gamepad could test that it works with one I would appreciate it.

Additional screenshots

Download demo. (~114mb)

People have been having trouble getting it from Google Drive so added a Mega download as well.

Thanks!
-tmek

Update: v0.2 : The Historical Documents are now available for viewing!
Download: https://mega.co.nz/#!eUYhSCxA!DG59j7ureVbE3A-zIuCCEOMpe4Ynk6xvCg9CdYRmG6k

1.) Set Windows monitors to "extend desktop" instead of "clone".
2.) Visit Netflix.com using Google Chrome.
3.) Select and play one of the 700+ historical documents.
4.) Launch Bridge Demo v0.2
5.) Geek out.

(NOTE: Please don't post this on Reddit or anywhere else just yet, this update is just intended for testing and finding issues with the video capture and playback code.)

-
65 REPLIES 65

kernow
Heroic Explorer
Will be trying out the update a little later tonight (already DLed it).

Chrome isn't my favorite browser (prefer Firefox), but I have it anyway for page testing and when some websites block Firefox browser (I thought we all had gotten past that a decade+ ago; some websites would block non-IE browsers around 2000; it was BS then, but now some websites are doing it now in preference of Chrome, still BS today, and "bad pool").

No mention was made in your update, so I'm guessing, "no," so... Any chance of being able to open local video files (mpg, mkv, avi)?

From my playing around with the previous version, I have to say that, so far, it is amazing. I did notice the 2D viewscreen thing that someone mentioned above, but, eh... the bridge, itself, was the big attraction, so I wasn't bothered by that. I had a huge grin on my face and giggled like a little girl when I fired off maybe 20 photon torpedoes, one right after the other, and seeing them go off in a huge explosion. Nicely lit.

I was using a wireless xbox controller and had no problems with it. Worked fine with the demo. Although, I did want to sit down in the seats. 🙂 Can't wait to see it with PrioVR and/or STEM support (<sneaky VBG>).

Might be useful in the future: There is a guy who has a very extensive model of one of the Enterprises (I think it might be the NCC-1701 A, but could very well be the original... my memory isn't clear on that). He has apparently been building this model in CAD for well over a decade now (as I said, very extensive model... plumbing and all). I'm not sure if he has it available to the public, but if you ever get the itch to do an Enterprise version, and you can get your hands on an export of his model, that would be an awesome starting point to work from.

Anyway, will try-out the update later tonight.

p00ky
Honored Guest
Hey tmek, I'm afraid I'm getting BitBLT error on startup 😞 So sad so sad.

Perhaps it's just me not starting a "historical document" 🙂 first, I'm not a member of netflix & in truth I'm not going to be one, at least for now. Sorry if thats where the problem lies

kernow
Heroic Explorer
Gave the new version a try. At firs I was confused because when I tried to load the program, it would die (I had the video in NetFlix on pause). So I tried closing Chrome, but then trying to load the program would give me a black screen with a white border on the top and on the left, and it would be frozen. Reopening Chrome and playing the video on NetFlix (instead of pausing it) allowed the program to run fine. However, the image on the viewscreen was just a still single frame of whatever happened to have been showing on NetFlix when the program started. 😕

kpikejr
Honored Guest
Just frickin' AWESOME ...

Had no issue with the xbox controller ...

My Processor = Intel i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz
vidcard = Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Thanks alot ...
Ken

ravenlp
Honored Guest
I know someone had asked about a possible mac version in the reddit thread when it was originally posted there, did that ever become a reality?

This demo is amazing! I literally just stood at one of the stations and looked around for a good 5 minutes envisioning what the future of games will be like. I cannot wait to be playing a space sim with all of my buddies with rifts/mics and all of us piloting a ship each with our own specific jobs at the stations. The possibilities are endless!!

Keep up the great work!!

tmek
Protege
"kernow" wrote:
Reopening Chrome and playing the video on NetFlix (instead of pausing it) allowed the program to run fine. However, the image on the viewscreen was just a still single frame of whatever happened to have been showing on NetFlix when the program started. 😕

That sounds like you might have your Rift "cloned" from your desktop monitor. In order for the Netflix video capture to continuously update you need to set windows to "extend desktop" across your monitor and Rift. Set your monitor as main display.

Let me know if that works for you!

Tip: If a window displays on your Rift you can press WINDOWSKEY+SHIFT+LEFTARROW (or RIGHTARROW) to move it to the other monitor.

kernow
Heroic Explorer
"tmek" wrote:
That sounds like you might have your Rift "cloned" from your desktop monitor. In order for the Netflix video capture to continuously update you need to set windows to "extend desktop" across your monitor and Rift. Set your monitor as main display.

Let me know if that works for you!

Tip: If a window displays on your Rift you can press WINDOWSKEY+SHIFT+LEFTARROW (or RIGHTARROW) to move it to the other monitor.

Yep. That was it. I had it as duplicate, switched it to extend, and it worked. I should pay more attention to the instructions. 😛

I did not know about the WinKey+Shift+Arrow shortcuts (or the WinKey+Arrow shortcuts). Thanks for the tip. 🙂 It wasn't working for me at first, but apparently it was because I had disabled the snap option in accessibility (windows snapping to full window height when resizing with the mouse was irritating me). But I turned it back on (at least for now) because of this keyboard shortcut (not sure why they only have one enable/disable option in Win7 for both the keyboard shortcuts and the mouse resizing window snap... seems like these should be separate; oh well).

machony
Honored Guest
This is pretty great stuff, I spent the last hour just staring at the consoles. The Netflix video stream works ok, the playback is a bit choppy though ( 2GB GTX660 ) but at least I can definitely strike "Watching an episode of TNG on the Bridge of Voyager" off my To-Do list 😄

What would be pretty neat though if there was some simple interaction allowed with the consoles, like if you hover over one and then press Spacebar, a mouse cursor appears over that console and you can move it around and press a few random buttons.

eVRydayVR
Explorer
I'm afraid I'm also getting p00ky's BitBlt error on startup:

http://i.gyazo.com/d1ffb1b0957597c86fa1812437474419.png

At first I thought it was because I was running a higher resolution, but same with the original config files. It might be because I already had Chrome open with lots and lots of tabs and I needed to close it or something.
-D YouTube · Reddit · Twitter · Facebook · Google+ · eVRydayVR@gmail.com · Skype: eVRydayVR

pakvr
Honored Guest
will there be an update of this demo for the dk2?