cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct HMD Access not working

carlosguedes
Honored Guest
Hello Guys, Im still facing problem with direct HMD.

My OVR only runs on extend desktop and even trying to execute direct to rift.exe with direct HMD access, the app crashes, the OVR (already being recognized inside the config tool), simply stays on orange... no signal.

When I change to extend desktop, the signal flows to blue.

Do you guys have any direction on what could cause this situation?

Thanks!
39 REPLIES 39

RibbleBibble
Honored Guest
Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue on a Windows 8.1, MSI GT70 laptop with GTX780M (optimus). Extended mode works absolutely fine. Direct mode produces an orange light on the HMD with no signal. All direct-to-rift apps that ive tried just crash unfortunately.

JaapSchuurman
Honored Guest
Same problem here 😞

My DK2 setup has an ATI R9 290 on top of an Intel i5 (3.4GHz) with 16GB and windows 8.1 (x64)

Extended mode works for displaying and tracking but ofcourse it's a hassle with starting apps (dragging windows between displays while not in VR)

Is it just the apps not working properly with the drivers or is it the drivers that still need work?

jvecchi
Honored Guest
I had the same problem, solved it by setting my 2nd and 3rd monitor to "Disconnect this Display" in windows (8.1) Screen Resolution panel and only having Main monitor (res. irrelevant) active as the rift is in direct mode and doesn't show up. After that I could launch Direct Rift mode by right clicking the DirectToRift.exe and clicking "Open On Oculus Rift".

Try it... report.. Good luck!

JaapSchuurman
Honored Guest
Thanks for the advice. 🙂
I don't have a 2nd (or 3rd) monitor to begin with. Only my main monitor and the Rift.

Or do I understand your advice incorrectly and are you suggesting I should extend my monitor with the Rift (in the rift control panel?) and then disconnect the display (the rift) in the windows screen resolution panel? (and then move back to direct to HMD? in OR Panel?)

pewzie
Honored Guest
Everything was working fine for me, WIn 7 x64 with gtx 770.

Now after having to wipe my system and start afresh I cannot get any direct to rift apps to work. The demo scene works and extended works, but all direct to rift apps crash.

There must be an answer to this software wise as it was working for me before with exactly the same components, this is now just a fresh install.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys I'm getting a similar problem I can get most apps to work in extended but some are starting on the main monitor and I'm unable to drag them across as they start maximized. My computer doe's not seem to like setting the rift as primary monitor. so any help would be great.

Although I find it strange that Sightline VR Jam will work but Sightline The Chair displays on my monitor

Just had Porton Pulse working which was cool

pewzie
Honored Guest
Does anyone have any helpful advise as to why direct to rift apps would be crashing?

Demo scene works.
UE4 roller coaster works.
Dreadhalls works on extended mode.

4th Floor apt direct to rift doesnt work.
Dreadhalls direct to rift doesnt work.

They were working before on win 7 x64 gtx 770 but after a needed fresh install of win 7 they now do not.

If anyone could please offer some advise I would be very grateful indeed.

ScottDC
Honored Guest
My Rift used to work Direct, but lately I've had to use extended, which is annoying since switching it on often crashes applications when the windows switch.
Firefox tends to lose all its icons, and Unity 3D just gives me a black screen after switching.
Maybe it is my dual card setup, investing in a new single card setup soon.

Have tried various things, such as switching modes back and forth.
One thing I noticed - when the Oculus content appears on the monitor it is very laggy - like 1 fps unless I use -force-d3d11

ScottDC
Honored Guest
Looks like my issue is related to my multi-monitor setup - specifically having a second monitor connected to the second card.
For a while I was only using a single monitor so I could take advantage of SLI.
Hopefully a single card that supports three or four monitors will resolve my issue.

This topic seems to be related to my issue: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12225

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys I'm having an issue with the direct to rift mode not working. I was trying with iracing. It would detect the rift and open up a window on my primary monitor, the head tracking would work but no picture in the rift, light stayed orange. I went to try the demo scene and it crashes the config utility. tried all my other demo's that used to mostly work in direct mode but they all crash as well now.

specs i5 4670K
8gb 1600 ram
GTX 760

any ideas or things to try? already tried reinstalling the firmware