cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Can the DK2 IR Camera See?

InteriorD
Honored Guest
Hello OculusVR,

I'm a DK2 owner who would like to know what sort of images the DK2 camera could see. A picture of what the DK2 can 'see' would be super helpful. This is for security purposes. I'm sure we would all feel a bit more secure if we know for a fact that the DK2 camera can't see the pudgy/scrawny/well-toned bodies under our clothing while we're standing around with our mouths agape.

On a side note, I'm trying to strap the Leap Motion Controller onto the DK2 but despite listening to the community's advice, I'm unable to locate the IR light emitters on the DK2. It would be very helpful if you can let me know where they are so I won't obstruct it.

Thanks in advance.
105 REPLIES 105

Conz
Explorer
Ok, after the latests images here, I have 3D printed a lens cover for my camera (can't reach the USB cable that easy). ... In aluminium foil metallic. 😉

Wireline
Explorer
Awww its GlaDOS, upside down 🙂

Question to guys on this thread, does anyone have a link to software that can give me the view through the Oculus camera? I want to check if my LED's are visible when I have my head in certain places to check the tracking.

with a little tweaking and the right lighting I managed to capture a reasonable image

Anonymous
Not applicable
Reading this thread and I wonder if some in here would freak out and paint over their mobile camera lens if someone mentioned that every mobile phone actually have a camera.

The chance that someone will get access to a camera connected to any computer is extremely minimal and having the DK2 camera attached won't make it any more likely.

With that said, having a tiny light on the camera that activates when the camera is "on" won't hurt either.

jkfin
Honored Guest
"Ruudscorner" wrote:
Reading this thread and I wonder if some in here would freak out and paint over their mobile camera lens if someone mentioned that every mobile phone actually have a camera.

The chance that someone will get access to a camera connected to any computer is extremely minimal and having the DK2 camera attached won't make it any more likely.

With that said, having a tiny light on the camera that activates when the camera is "on" won't hurt either.

I actually read this thread with my mobile phone, and if someone would happen to see me drink coffe and eat my breakfast the same time, enjoy.. just dont touch my files.

Back to RIFT camera, i honestly think that if someone looks at me while using rift lookin goofy around,
it would be more amuzing compared to when i sit still staring to my monitor in 2D.

Solution suggestion, use the led power to rotate a simple lens cover similar to compact camera.
When oculus camera is off, lens cover is closed and prevents all image trasfer,
When camera is on, blue led powers on and same current drives the lens cover to open state.

Above solution would give easy view when image can be read from camera.

richhard1
Protege
It's green screen against the receiver diodes, for increased visibility so it doesn't lose tracking.

oculus isn't interested in seeing the user for any reason, they would rather spend time creating consumer products and optimising the sdk 🙂
I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE