New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

While we wait...Ready Player One

MorbidDonkeyMorbidDonkey Posts: 284
Hiro Protagonist
edited March 2015 in General
12:30am...finished.

Ok, I am WAAAAY behind with reading this book than a good portion of the world so this post is for those of you who have not read "Ready Player One" yet.

I am a tech nerd and hearing about the Oculus Rift when it first hit Kickstarter made my heart flutter. I am a graphics designer by trade, but now want to apply my knowledge towards VR development. THATS WHAT OCULUS DID TO ME. It literally is making me consider a career change, a life change if you will. Whats that have to do with this book you might ask? Well, like many of you I started reading every single damn thing Palmer Luckey wrote or acknowledged like haptic technology, DIY HMDs, and books. "Ready Player One" has been brought up a ton of times in interviews from Palmer and has also been considered "Required Reading" for Oculus VR employees. So I said, hell, why not....I knew nothing about this book and to be quite frank, I really dont read much beyond technical books and even that has turned into google searches over the years.

I am here to tell you, drop the $10 bucks or so and get this flippin' book. Your VR love will be overflowing. You'll be caught up in with such great characters that work together, Goonies style. Bite your nails with suspense from an evil corporate entity named Sorrento. You'll feel like your 13 again, falling in love with the cute girl in school. Twists and turns and best of all ITS AN EASY FREAKING READ! I would love to say that I got through "Lord of the Rings", but that would be a complete lie as I stopped after the first few chapters. It's too BIG for me. "Ready Player One" is that nice mix of smart and entertaining. Refreshing. So much in fact its almost 1am, I got work in 6 hours and I am nerding out HARD on this forum. It lifted my spirits and really is making me put the elbow grease in my development. The VR revolution can't happen fast enough!

Quit staring at shipping dates. I implore you to read this book and when your done.....Do your best not to think this:

The High-Five of OVR
Parzival = Palmer Luckey
Art3mis = Cybereality
Aech = Nate Mitchell (Sorry Nate! - Focus on the avatar!)
Daito= Brendon Iribe
Shoto = Michael Antonov
-: MorbidDonkey :-
===================================
LOGISTICS - Oculus Prototype 1

Comments

• VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    Ready Player One is great. The beginning was a bit too simple for me (in a "youth novel" kind a way), however once it grabs you, it doesn't let you got till the last page. Very entertaining and very visionary. Definitely worth a read.
    While I'm not too fond about the idea of a world where VR is more compelling than the real life.. we might actually be going down that road. Especially true for the youngest generation, that will have VR from the start.
    Exciting (if a bit scary) times!
  • SawersadamSawersadam Posts: 49
    A little bit pulpy but I've read it so many times now I'm finding all sorts of contradictory details in the book. Think I'll start it again tonight! :)
  • Ahaha yeah, the writing is very juvenile but the ideas are brilliant.

Sort of reminds me of Philip K Dick.. terrible writer but the plots were just fantastic.
  • CallezetterCallezetter Posts: 115
    Get the audiobook version. Read by Wil Wheaton.

His snappy reading style is just perfect for this book. Really great.

Sample here: http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B005FRGT44
    vrs2.png
    VR Sverige - En svensk nyhetsblogg om allt som rör Virtual Reality!
    http://www.vrsverige.se/
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,148 Valuable Player
    I too was intrigued by all the references to the book when Palmer Luckey was being interviewed (a copy appeared in a number of background shots when photos of him were taken). I dropped $7 on a used copy and ploughed through it. I was not unpleasantly surprised by the crafting or the general tone. It's not 'Neuromancer' or 'Mona Lisa Overdrive ' but it is a interesting Naughties' VR romp marrying 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' with 'The Matrix'.

I have tried to keep abreast of sci-fi's representation of virtual reality since the first appearance in popular culture such as 'Johnny Mnemonic' (book-81) or 'Brainstorm' (film-83). I had the pleasure of working for the company that had done the special CGI for 'The Lawnmower Man' in 1992 – so have collected research on the representation-against-reality of VR. I was very keen that this was a factor in its last demise – perception not being fulfilled by the available systems – a factor why I am so hard on the resolution of the current combatants!

Ready Player One, is more of a nerd-out regarding classic gaming, in a dystopian future, more than anything else – the use of VR is purely as a simple transitional device, and the complexity and difficulties of VR immersion are glossed over at speed. A device that can be used in an abandoned truck is as sophisticated as a device that requires a special automated seat and full body suit! But we have to understand that for many this is their first experience of VR and going back and reading the classics literature on the subject is not of interest (watching the films can be pretty painful).

Trying to get a new VR novel published back in 2008 was near on impossible so this is a rear stab in that direction – possibly there is a new opportunity for VR-Sci-Fi now to be accepted by the new enthused audience?
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • MorbidDonkeyMorbidDonkey Posts: 284
    Hiro Protagonist
    VRoom wrote:
    While I'm not too fond about the idea of a world where VR is more compelling than the real life.. we might actually be going down that road.
    You know I forgot to mention that in my original post. I am pretty stoked where VR is headed, but to be honest when I hear Palmer say things like "I prefer VR because I like it better than real life!" it makes me a little sad. Everything Palmer has said has been pretty awesome, except that. Did you watch the panel where he was with Cliffy, Chris Roberts and Nate? He specifically said (adlibbing a bit) "I want it so people prefer being in the Rift than real life"....funny thing, watch Chris next to him squirm a bit to that comment.
    Sawersadam wrote:
    A little bit pulpy but I've read it so many times now I'm finding all sorts of contradictory details in the book. Think I'll start it again tonight!
    It totally is pulpy! Thats like pin-pointing my happy place in my brain! :) You definitely have to suspend disbelief in a bunch of areas - but the flow, so gooooooooood.
    Sort of reminds me of Philip K Dick.. terrible writer but the plots were just fantastic.
    It reminded me of Dean Koontz...like he wrote it over a weekend with a great idea he had. However, he outlined it so well that it was like watching a really good made for TV movie. Man, it all starts with a fantastic idea. Now here me out and don't kill me for writing this, "Twilight" was a fantastic idea that just zeroed in on people (not a Twilight fan at all, never seen anything after the first one), however, the writing in the book was DREADFUL and I am a simple mind here with simple needs. She just has a great idea and went with it.

==================

I forget to mention in my original post, while lying in bed reading I had moments in the last few chapters where I was like "Thay Guy" in the movie theatre. Audibily shouting "Hell yeah!", "dude!", "Oh no he didn't!" and the occasional girly giggle or fist pump. Each of these was followed by my wife turning over and angelically telling me to "Shut the hell up." I'm going to make her read this damn book.
    -: MorbidDonkey :-
    ===================================
    LOGISTICS - Oculus Prototype 1
  • PinglesPingles Posts: 155
    Art3mis
    Oculus is providing the hardware. The Rift is a great leap towards the type of VR in this book.

Oculus also seems intent on providing controllers. Recent hirings and pictures from their offices hint at a lot of work being done with controllers.

I'd really like to see them set us up with the Oasis. Not the spectacularly enormous one of the book but a Second-Life style world that we can all share.

I just trust them to make one without making it a micro transaction nightmare. They are our VR providers. I think they would do it right. Monetize it, sure. But give us plenty of room for free to draw in as many as possible.

That's my dream.
  • WadeWattsWadeWatts Posts: 60
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2013
    Yes I really like the novel and the way Ernest Cline (The Author) developed the characters and plot. :D As a Rift developer this is a must read or must listen book. It will influence your thinking on what is possible with VR.

I've spoken to a few Oculus employees including Palmer and of course they are huge fans. While I was at GDC San Francisco during the rare moment Palmer was away from the Oculus booth and not mobbed by fans or press, I got to speak with him about developing for the Rift. Our conversation drifted to "Ready Player One". I told him how glad I was that Oculus blogged about it because it inspired me to listen to the novel. (IMO the Wil Wheaton audio book version is the best way to immerse yourself in the book!). He was equally enthusiastic about Ready Player One.

I'm looking forward to the movie (The rights were picked up by Warner Brothers) and if done right it could become an instant classic. If done REALLY RIGHT it could become the next Harry Potter or Star Wars.

In any event the book is brilliant and dives into the tropes and nuances of what VR really means to people. It explores lots of issues that mass acceptance of VR as a consumer product will bring. As a developer I am excited to be working on something which I believe (along with many others) will revolutionize the way we communicate, entertain and collaborate with others.

It's a well thought out book and I look forward to when the consumer version of VR advances to the level of say... the OASIS (Ontologically Anthropocentric Sensory Immersive Simulation). Who knows the next James Halliday may be lurking on this forum right now!

Wade Watts - Gregarious Simulation Systems

gregarious.png

• IbrinarIbrinar Posts: 135
    Ready player one was a fun little book. There was a huge amounts of nostalgia and the antagonist were as complex as an evil overlord in a mediocre fantasy book. (And honestly it's not like them winning would do that much harm, besides an evil cooperation getting even more money. The hardware is out there. I don't care how good a programmer that dead guy was once something exists there is always someone else is capable of creating something similar. If they changed too much people could switch to the inevitable rival product.)
    But it was easy to read and entertaining. It's not my favourite book containing VR (I prefer Otherland for instance.), but I think it's worth reading.
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    You know I forgot to mention that in my original post. I am pretty stoked where VR is headed, but to be honest when I hear Palmer say things like "I prefer VR because I like it better than real life!" it makes me a little sad. Everything Palmer has said has been pretty awesome, except that. Did you watch the panel where he was with Cliffy, Chris Roberts and Nate? He specifically said (adlibbing a bit) "I want it so people prefer being in the Rift than real life"....funny thing, watch Chris next to him squirm a bit to that comment.

I actually like that type of devotion to VR :lol: This shows that Palmer is truly forward thinking and totally dedicated to what some call a dream of VR. Also we don't have to get carried away -> it's obvious that experiences like superman flying, visiting mars etc will definitely be better than real life - why wouldn't they be. It's a bit more omnious when you think that VR cinema might seem for some people as something better than a real trip to a movie theater (not just more convinient - but simply better and more interesting as such) - but somehow I'm not bothered. Real world will still play a large part of our daily lives anyway, whether we like it or not ;)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,148 Valuable Player
    Reading back on this old post, I noted some had not read, or were plowing through with difficulty the classic fiction in this genre.

May I suggest the YouTube "unabridged" audio book selection. Am just finishing Necro' and did Snowcrash again last week. Work and pleasure all at once!... and a little bit of education.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Well if we are going to mention snowcrash Kevin, and how the REAL future is going to play out Vs what the scifi authors conceived, lets look at some recent real history:

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1gsi55/palantir_the_evil_nsa_spying_types_now_funding/
    (My shock when I found out Joe Lonsdale of Palantir was FUNDING our hero Palmer)

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/07/despite-naming-coincidence-palantir-not-part-of-prism-program/ Lonsdale is saying they aren't THAT prism, just the one that helps BANKS datamine us all in ways that probably doesn't make Jaron Lanier happy, so sorry Lonsdale, you still haven't dug out of the hole. And if you are helping banks and their data analysis, lets see what treasury secretary Larry Summers said (former CENTRAL BANK and WORLD BANK) about his DATA ANAYLSIS! LOL!

http://www.whirledbank.org/ourwords/summers.html Oh the TANGLED WEB we WEEV! ;) Yah lets get those cool humble humanitarian banks some more PALANTIR PRISM DATA ANALYSIS so they can help us with carbon tax policies.

martinlandau -1 points 11 days ago*
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Transhuman/comments/21p6ne/elon_musk_zuckerberg_invest_in_artificial/
    http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/21/zuckerberg-musk-invest-in-artificial-intelligence-company-vicarious/

Elon Musk made the electric car cool. Mark Zuckerberg created FacebookFB -1.57%. Ashton Kutcher portrayed AppleAAPL -0.11% founder Steve Jobs in a movie. Now, the three are joining in a $40 million investment in Vicarious FPC, a secretiveartificial-intelligence company.

Phoenix hopes that, eventually, Vicarious’s computers will learn to how to cure diseases, create cheap, renewable energy, and perform the jobs that employ most human beings. “We tell investors that right now, human beings are doing a lot of things that computers should be able to do,” he says.

The latest funding round was led by venture capital firm Formation 8. “Companies that pioneer a fundamental technological breakthrough often come to define entire industries,” said Formation 8 founder Joe Lonsdale, who also co-founded data-mining software maker Palantir Technologies. “I believe Vicarious has the potential to become one of these companies.”

One of the comments:

10:30 am March 24, 2014 Rudy Haugeneder wrote:

I suspect these guys really understand how quickly environmental degradation and irreversible rapid Climate Change are threatening human survival and want to create human replacements that can survive conditions on the planet no matter how bad it gets — as well as hoping to achieve immortality themselves by replicating themselves specifically as the immortal new gods that the rest of Artificial Intelligence will be built to honor and bow to, forever. Don’t laugh. In the world of science and those who control it, there is no such thing as science fiction.

LOL! BWAHAHAH! Wake up Neo, the Matrix has you! They are our FRIENDS, they just want to SERVE us.

• LukimatorLukimator Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    When I was reading this, instead of the analogies #1 suggests, what I thought was:

James Halliday: John Carmack
    Ogden Morrow: Michael Abrash
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 971
    Art3mis
    When I read the initial description of IOI, I thought "Comcast".
  • MrsVRMrsVR Posts: 203
    That book is laying underneath a pile of books on economics :( but soon! Only 4 more months!

Edit: wut necropost
    Rendering/Game engineer
  • FunkmanFunkman Posts: 82
    NerveGear
    "VR More compelling than real life"...

Just reminded me of that movie, what was it? I cant remember, but there was a scene where someone walks into this VR area and sees what customers are seeing.

One is surrounded by girls in bikinis (of course), and then the other one is in the boardroom and all his superiors are telling him"Your the man!" "No your the man" "Your the man!"

Was pretty funny. What movie was that?

But yeh, I am sure VR will be more compelling in many ways, for at least some people pretty soon.
  • DisdroidDisdroid Posts: 562
    I know that scene. Surrogates or Minority Report I think. I'll have a brain cramp now because I'm not sure.
    People tend to believe what they want to be true.
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Funkman wrote:
    "VR More compelling than real life"...

Just reminded me of that movie, what was it? I cant remember, but there was a scene where someone walks into this VR area and sees what customers are seeing.

One is surrounded by girls in bikinis (of course), and then the other one is in the boardroom and all his superiors are telling him"Your the man!" "No your the man" "Your the man!"

Was pretty funny. What movie was that?

Was that Total Recall? (the Arnold S. version)
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    I have Ready Player One as an audiobook, read by someone named Wil Wheat thins or something. It's a good listen while commuting to/from work.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • DisdroidDisdroid Posts: 562
    Found it! HA! ***Link removed***

Post edited by cybereality. Potential copyright infringement.
    People tend to believe what they want to be true.
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    http://deadline.com/2015/03/ready-playe ... 201398299/

Steven Spielberg To Direct Sci-Fi Cult Favorite ‘Ready Player One'

No word about Oculus. But Magic Leap and stuff... :|
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • GatorGator Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    OK, you talked me into it - just bought the ibooks version for $3.99. (FYI, just noticed Kindle ver is $2.99)
  • dubsterdubster Posts: 111
    NerveGear
    Was hoping Edgar Wright would direct, but Spielberg is a good 2nd choice.