cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[DEMO] WorldMap XI - DK2 [Updated to v1.2 on 5/31/2015]

drash
Heroic Explorer
I finally got around to finishing up the last 10% of a concept demo I had sitting around (that last 10% always takes the longest!):

WorldMap XI

What is it?

WorldMap XI builds on overall concepts introduced in Bestiary XI, and adds the following:

• An interactive "world map" that allows you to travel from place to place.

• Each place is represented by an abstract environment.

• A few more monsters. Not too many, I had a lot more in here, but scaled it way back.

• Ability to move around. For the adventurous with VR legs, you're free to walk around among the creatures.

• See what it's like to be your favorite FFXI race by adopting a new height and IPD.

Moving around is optional. Feel free to simply stand in one spot and look around.

Standing is recommended, but do so at your own risk! You can play it while sitting, but your player height assumes you are standing.

Credits:

The intro music is "Final Ecstasy" by Ailsean @ http://ailsean.net/01-ff-series-final-ecstasy/. This guy makes great video game covers!

All models are made by Square-Enix and were extracted using the "FFXI Model Viewer" tool. (Dead link removed)

If you are not a current Final Fantasy XI player and find yourself enjoying any of the art depicted in this non-profit fan-made concept demo, then you should *immediately run to your nearest game shop* and buy the game and dive in!

If you are a current Final Fantasxy XI player, be careful of spoilers. Don't travel to a part of the world that you haven't been to in-game.

v1.2 (released May 31st, 2015):
-- No new content, but this demo is like a test bed for some usability updates:
-- Updated to SDK 0.5.0.1
-- Added experimental "rotation disc" mode
-- Added snap turn via scrollwheel
-- Added ability to move forward/backward using mouse buttons
-- Added options menu

Controls for v1.2:
It should all hopefully be self-explanatory inside the demo. Either way all controls are explicitly listed in the included readme.

Controls for v1.1:

Cycle Your FFXI Race:
---- [Left Mouse Button (LMB)] / [Button A]
Move:
---- [WASD] / [Left Thumbstick]
Sprint:
---- [Left Shift] / [Left Trigger]
Turn:
---- [Mouse] / [Right Thumbstick]

Reset Orientation:
---- [F1] / [Right Mouse Button (RMB)] /[Start]
Cycle Camera Bounds:
---- [F3] / [Button X]
Toggle Vsync:
---- (Hit twice to remove vertical tearing if it shows up)
DK2 Menu:
---- [Esc] / [Button Y]
Quit:
----

Custom Music:

You may optionally supply your own music for each individual "area" you can visit. To avoid spoilers, the list of accepted music file names can be found in accepted-music-list.txt inside the CustomMusic folder inside of the _Data folder.

Download:

v1.2 - Built with SDK 0.5.0.1
WorldMap XI - DK2 - v1.2 (Windows) from ADrive

v1.1 (doesn't work on recent Oculus Runtimes anymore):
WorldMap XI - DK2 - v1.1 (Windows) from ADrive

Runs best in Direct HMD Access mode + _DirectToRift.exe.

Enjoy!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com
36 REPLIES 36

virror
Explorer
Cool!
The link to the model viewer does not work, just so you know.

drash
Heroic Explorer
"virror" wrote:
Cool!
The link to the model viewer does not work, just so you know.

Oh wow that whole site is now some random blog. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

ad2003
Honored Guest
Nice work drash! I like the option to switch heights with ctrl!
AD
My first unity steps: In A Distance | download/post: http://goo.gl/N90bUU A video collection of oculus rift related stuff: http://oculus.quitebeyond.de

aerosteak
Protege
Very nice work!

I love the polished 3d models and the sense of height!!!

Kamus
Protege
Man, i wish i could walk up to that dragon, or whatever it is that is covered by fog in one of the locations, but even if i had the room to walk up there in real life, the positional tracking solution of the DK2 would fall short by by about 95% range 😛

davidjc
Honored Guest
This was a cool demo really enjoyed it. Makes you wonder how a DK2 designed game would be. So much more impressive inside the Dk2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, this demo caught my by surprise and it runs flawless in Direct HMD Access mode on my system. I never played any FF games, but this demo was far more impressive than I expected it to be! Walking around (I was sitting IRL) between all the characters/monsters was bringing big smiles on my face in almost every location 😄 Next wish is seeing them move 😉 I would run to the shop, if this were a game with full VR (DK2) support 😉

DrDeathO5
Honored Guest
Very nice indeed and it shows you that you don't need high poly models to feel immersion.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Love it Drash! I also love what you did with the Oculus menu and camera bounds. Oculus should take these ideas back and make them standard in the SDK. 🙂

I really don't know how you find time to do all the things you are doing! 🙂