cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CV1] CastleCoaster - RiftCoaster clone

Elecman
Explorer
I am working on a RiftCoaster clone, build with Unity. No assets from UDK or UE4 are used but I aim to make it look as similar as possible, except for some graphical improvements. All assets are from the Unity Asset Store and TurboSquid as I am a programmer, not an artist. If you have something to donate, let me know.

This screenshot is just a quick prototype. The final version will look much better.

promo.jpg

Why not make a new coaster? None of the coasters out there give me the same sensation as with RiftCoaster. The way the track is designed is quite ingenious, even though an existing demo scene is used. Replicating the RiftCoaster thrill should be easier then trying to design something from scratch. And there is the sense of nostalgia. It was one of the first demos and still is one of the best. But unfortunately it doesn't work with the DK2 and it doesn't look that is going to be fixed any time soon.

Why not use the Epic Citadel in UDK? UDK doesn't support the DK2 and has some camera transform issues (camera can't rotate with a vehicle), although this guy seems to have solved those problems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og-jYrx ... detailpage

Why not use UE4? UDK scenes are not compatible with UE4 so everything has to be build from scratch. And since I already know Unity, it will be much easier to stick with that.

How does it work? I use MegaShapes to build the spline which defines the track shape. Using this, it is really fast to make or modify the track. Luckily it also supports the airborne section. For the physics, a simple acceleration function seems to work fine: f = m g cos θ − b v.

The river is made from a glass refraction shader which I modified to scroll the UV coordinates. It looks pretty good for programmer art. There are not much assets in my prototype scene yet but it already runs at 1800 fps on a 780ti. Not a typo. It should be possible to run it on Mobile. GearVR, anyone?

Suggestions are welcome.

Input:
Toggle ocean between fancy and simple (might solve some graphics issues): O
Recenter: R
Pause: P
Slow down on ramp: S
Quit: ALT-F4

Motion data:
Data out: UDP
IP: 127.0.0.1
Port: 20777
Data format: string dataString = linearAccVector.x+"/" + linearAccVector.y+"/" + linearAccVector.z+"/" + angularAccVector.x+"/" + angularAccVector.y+"/" + angularAccVector.z+"/" + position.x+"/" + position.y+"/" + position.z+"/" + rotation.x+"/" + rotation.y+"/" + rotation.z+"/" + rotation.w+"/";
Linear acceleration format: vector in local space. Includes gravity.
Angular acceleration format: vector in local space.
Rotation format: world space quaternion. For example, if the output vector is 0,0,-5, the angular acceleration is 5 deg/second^2 around the Z axis, to the left.
Position format: world space.

CastleCoaster download v0.9 - 64 bit:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwk4bD ... sp=sharing

Changelog:
-Added support for CV1
105 REPLIES 105

Elecman
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. Will make the ramp up shorter and tweaking the speed is already on the to do list.

It the image is way too dark, it might be a misplaced Oculus menu effect. Try hitting the space bar and see if that lights up the scene. If it does, I might have to remove the in game menu because this caused problems before. Let me know if that solves the problem.

Either way, it should look exactly like in the screenshot.

theregoes2
Protege
Downloading now. I really hope that it works. One of my biggest disappointments was that Rift Coaster wasn't available for the DK2. I must have watched 30 different people try that demo while I was waiting for my kit and I was so stoked to try it out.
Ordered: June 4th Status: Strapped to my ugly mug ON, Canada

gregof
Honored Guest
This is a really good start, I can confirm that the castle looks way to dark, but when i hit spacebar as per your suggestion, it lights up nicely but then you have the hud-menu...
I think the long way up is good for first timers, as someone here said, it gives you time to instruct them and they can get accustomed to the whole thing. The way down is very nice 🙂
If I may make a suggestion, make the carrige you ride in a little smaller so we can look over the edge more easy.
great work!
// gregof

ccp001
Honored Guest
its really cool except it is really dark unless you move you use positional tracking then i gets bright until you move back to the normal position

ccp001
Honored Guest
seems like you mixed up the hud menu shades and the regular shades haha

Elecman
Explorer
"gregof" wrote:

If I may make a suggestion, make the carrige you ride in a little smaller so we can look over the edge more easy.

Good idea! I will implement that.

Something is definitely wrong with the HUD shader logic. The only thing I did though is add an OVRMenu script to the OVR camera prefab, so you'd expect it will work out of the box but apparently not. I test my demo without positional tracking because my camera is behind my monitor and I have to shift the whole thing to the side. That explains why I didn't pick it up.

Will fix it! Stay tuned.

ccp001
Honored Guest
it was still cool dark haha it was kinda intimidating

LordJuanlo
Protege
The demo has terrible graphics artifacts coming down from the sky during all the ride, several people with AMD Radeon cards have reported it on my forum, and it also happens to me.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community

Elecman
Explorer
I have tracked the dark screen down to the Unity Color Space. The Oculus doesn't like Linear color space. Set Linear color space in the Tuscany demo and you will get the same effect. Will investigate how to fix this.

Edit:
A lot of people have this issue:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13931

Not sure what is causing the artifact on AMD cards. Sounds like a driver bug. Unfortunately I do not have an AMD card so I can't really fix it. Sorry.

Fawesum
Honored Guest
I'd guess it's the shader. Looks like big walls of water popping in and out.