cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 Customs Issues - Incorrect Labelling

aidangibson
Honored Guest
:oops: :evil:

Sad to say it, but my Oculus Rift issues continue. Here in New Zealand i've fortunately been chasing up my Rift for awhile now going in circles with AusPost, NZPost and New Zealand customs. Finally got a straight answer and unfortunately not only has my Rift been held for clearance by customs, it's now under investigation. -.-

It appears Oculus decided to circumvent customs through providing incorrect details with the import, labelled at $325 AUD compared to the $390 is should be listed at. I was fully prepared to pay the duties to customs, but i'm now locked into a circular battle trying to find a way to justify the price.

Not being able to fast track the process now, i'm here with no Rift and still a looming customs fee... and potentially further investigation.

Cybereality, if you come across this, please advise, you've been very good in getting us the information needed, but with all the delays and now this perceived circumvention of customs is just unbearably frustrating.
56 REPLIES 56

aidangibson
Honored Guest
"Cgpnz" wrote:
"aidangibson" wrote:
I was fully prepared to pay the duties to customs, but i'm now locked into a circular battle trying to find a way to justify the price.

Ah NZ customs have processed quite a few DK2s, so I wouldn't try to BS them, they might get nasty on you.

No, quite right. This was framed as a question to customs, me working out their declaration rules and what needs to be included. I've since screenshotted my bank account transfer for them and my oculus order, so hopefully they can finally allow me to move through to the processing. Apparently it may not be as easy as i'd like given they're looking at the issue internally.

It might pay to note, anyone who got off might retrospectively have duties applied, so just be aware.

Even if i do get it addressed with customs soon, I feel i should have a right to know why this happened and that it'll be stopped from happening again.

RichardUK
Honored Guest
"bostromnz" wrote:
I got mine today too, through customs no worries. Sorry to hear your pain but grateful to Oculus that they saved me $100+ by labelling it $325.

Are you saying that Oculus are laying about the price of the kit so to avoid extra taxes? If that is true then that is fraud! 😮

aidangibson
Honored Guest
"RichardUK" wrote:
"bostromnz" wrote:
I got mine today too, through customs no worries. Sorry to hear your pain but grateful to Oculus that they saved me $100+ by labelling it $325.

Are you saying that Oculus are laying about the price of the kit so to avoid extra taxes? If that is true then that is fraud! 😮

Well Cybereality was going to take a look into it, so i was hoping to hear back. I don't want to believe that's the case, but i haven't heard anything to the contrary 😐

chelsearift
Explorer
I also had the problem where Oculus has put the wrong value on the label.

Will have to give them a call Monday and find out how to send them the correct invoice.

JoshNZ
Honored Guest
Looks like I'm unlucky too as according to NZ Post mine has been sitting at customs waiting on clearance since the 17th. I've not yet had any letters or communication asking to pay duty etc so I sit and wait with fingers crossed.
I'm guessing the $325AUD thing is to try and get under the $400NZD cost / $60 duty limit. $375AUD just pushes over the $60 ($64) and adds an additional $46 processing fee.
As I've been waiting since April whats a few more days eh!

aidangibson
Honored Guest
"chelsearift" wrote:
I also had the problem where Oculus has put the wrong value on the label.

Will have to give them a call Monday and find out how to send them the correct invoice.

Advice - Send an email to this address with your tracking number (AusPost/NZPost) and a screenshot of your bank transfer and/or your Oculus invoice. Ask them to scan in the consignment information, which'll have your entry number you can use to pay customs... mine got from auckland -> wellington overnight after that.

[edit] mail@customs.govt.nz

So i have my Oculus now, but i still want to know why this is being done. 😕

Vercci
Honored Guest
I haven't gotten any response from auspost / customs about my order being held back. Think I should be emailing them yet, or wait for a notification? It's been in auckland since wednesday.
NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT Status:Delivery Complete

aidangibson
Honored Guest
What's your status when you track it on AusPost / NZ Post? Mine was held for clearance when i went searching for it. It can be in the country awhile, but wait for that particular status i think.

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
If OVR deliberately did this fraud, they are in trouble.

Vercci
Honored Guest
"aidangibson" wrote:
What's your status when you track it on AusPost / NZ Post? Mine was held for clearance when i went searching for it. It can be in the country awhile, but wait for that particular status i think.

In transit, so I guess I've got to wait.
NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT Status:Delivery Complete