cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The DK2 lenses are TERRIBLE - they scratch far to easily.

Zebrastealer
Honored Guest
I have had my DK2 kit for less than a day and only used the supplied Oculus microfiber cloth to clean the lenses. I had the DK1 for a year and never got a scratch on the lens. This afternoon I thought the lenses seemed dirty, upon closer inspection I was shocked to find the lenses had swirl scratches all over both of them. This is very disappointing and unless I got a bad pair of lenses it is going to be a problem with all the DK2 lenses, no matter how careful people are with them.

Picture of scratches: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4kW5dpki9eMMkN4d1c4UDdOYXc/edit?usp=sharing

I have also posted this on Reddit: http://redd.it/2cdoaz

My advice, please do your best to be extra cautious with your own lenses, they will get scratched but maybe if you are super careful they'll last a little longer. Oculus, you need to come up with a solution for these lenses, they are not durable enough, not for a development kit, and certainly not for a consumer model.
542 REPLIES 542

Vercci
Honored Guest
"Kel" wrote:
Prior to receiving my DK2, I would read the posts in this thread and just automatically assumed people weren't properly caring for their lenses.

I was wrong. 😞

Order the savvies, I have 18 covers in a drawer just waiting for me to put on a rift.
NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT Status:Delivery Complete

RevEm
Honored Guest
"Vercci" wrote:
"Kel" wrote:
Prior to receiving my DK2, I would read the posts in this thread and just automatically assumed people weren't properly caring for their lenses.

I was wrong. 😞

Order the savvies, I have 18 covers in a drawer just waiting for me to put on a rift.

I won't be getting my dk2 until later next month, Hopefully....
I hope they find the corse of the problem before then. But I have order 2 sets of the savvies already. One set of the 39mm and a set of the 40mm. If anyone is using them already which are the better size. I want to get some more before I receive my DK2.

ClassicGamerNL
Expert Protege
We are all just human... share your respect and show your love.

"RevEm" wrote:
"Vercci" wrote:
"Kel" wrote:

I was wrong. 😞

I won't be getting my dk2 until later next month, Hopefully....
I hope they find the corse of the problem before then. But I have order 2 sets of the savvies already. One set of the 39mm and a set of the 40mm. If anyone is using them already which are the better size. I want to get some more before I receive my DK2.

RevEm
here's a photo of the 40mm Savvies applied to my DK2. These are the right size to go for with just a fraction of a millimetre gap. A little tricky to get centred but otherwise easy to apply.

vonFelty
Honored Guest
Yeah I also bought these savies:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H48H9SC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even though I lived in the USA I could still by them with my American Amazon account and they only charged me $2 for shipping and I received them in only 4 days. I was rather surprised about the shipping as it was overseas, but that is a good thing. I paid less than $5 for the whole deal.

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"mallmagician" wrote:

Anyway, Thanks again for your post. I was beginning to think maybe I am a lunatic for speaking out. There may be a little truth in that. Hehe.

No, these days fanboyism is so rampant that speaking out nearly anywhere is bound to get you a few negative comments here and there; I think you are exactly right.
I am so gentle wiping my lenses I could groom the eyelashes of a dragonfly and I am certain to keep everything clean and free from debris and dust (I put the lens cloth back in it's bag after shaking it off thoroughly every time I use it), yet the lenses on my Rift are scratched nearly every-time I use it.
Unfortunately I sweat alot in the Rift and I almost always get a smear or two that requires wiping by the time I'm done a session, so I will order up some savvies and hope for the best.
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

bar10dr
Honored Guest
Do you actually see the scratches while using the rift or is it only noticeable when you hold it at an angle against a light source?

As long as they hold hold until the consumer version comes out its all good, hopefully they will be of better quality

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"bar10dr" wrote:
Do you actually see the scratches while using the rift or is it only noticeable when you hold it at an angle against a light source?

As long as they hold hold until the consumer version comes out its all good, hopefully they will be of better quality

That's where I've gotten lucky so far. At the moment the scratches are so light and spread apart I absolutely can not notice them whatsoever when I am in game.
I do believe that would be due to change however, should I not protect them asap.
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

TWhite
Explorer
Toss my hat into the ring of people saying these lenses are truly terrible. One week of ownership down, and both lenses are totally ruined. Uncountable amount of light ring like scratches, several deep very visible slash like marks. The only thing that ever touched these lenses intentionally was a microfiber cloth. I am disgusted with how badly they hold up. This needs refinement for the consumer model, it should not be up to the consumer to buy protectors for something that should be nearly scratch proof at this point in time.
CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 780

bar10dr
Honored Guest
"TWhite" wrote:
Toss my hat into the ring of people saying these lenses are truly terrible. One week of ownership down, and both lenses are totally ruined. Uncountable amount of light ring like scratches, several deep very visible slash like marks. The only thing that ever touched these lenses intentionally was a microfiber cloth. I am disgusted with how badly they hold up. This needs refinement for the consumer model, it should not be up to the consumer to buy protectors for something that should be nearly scratch proof at this point in time.

wow...

I guess the only thing to do then is to run them under hot water and let them dry naturally?

Hope is not lost for you if you're using the A cups though, someone is making cheap custom plastic rings for the B cups so that they extend exactly like the A cups, so you can switch over to using them

Read about it on the oculus subreddit