cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[DEMO] WorldMap XI - DK2 [Updated to v1.2 on 5/31/2015]

drash
Heroic Explorer
I finally got around to finishing up the last 10% of a concept demo I had sitting around (that last 10% always takes the longest!):

WorldMap XI

What is it?

WorldMap XI builds on overall concepts introduced in Bestiary XI, and adds the following:

• An interactive "world map" that allows you to travel from place to place.

• Each place is represented by an abstract environment.

• A few more monsters. Not too many, I had a lot more in here, but scaled it way back.

• Ability to move around. For the adventurous with VR legs, you're free to walk around among the creatures.

• See what it's like to be your favorite FFXI race by adopting a new height and IPD.

Moving around is optional. Feel free to simply stand in one spot and look around.

Standing is recommended, but do so at your own risk! You can play it while sitting, but your player height assumes you are standing.

Credits:

The intro music is "Final Ecstasy" by Ailsean @ http://ailsean.net/01-ff-series-final-ecstasy/. This guy makes great video game covers!

All models are made by Square-Enix and were extracted using the "FFXI Model Viewer" tool. (Dead link removed)

If you are not a current Final Fantasy XI player and find yourself enjoying any of the art depicted in this non-profit fan-made concept demo, then you should *immediately run to your nearest game shop* and buy the game and dive in!

If you are a current Final Fantasxy XI player, be careful of spoilers. Don't travel to a part of the world that you haven't been to in-game.

v1.2 (released May 31st, 2015):
-- No new content, but this demo is like a test bed for some usability updates:
-- Updated to SDK 0.5.0.1
-- Added experimental "rotation disc" mode
-- Added snap turn via scrollwheel
-- Added ability to move forward/backward using mouse buttons
-- Added options menu

Controls for v1.2:
It should all hopefully be self-explanatory inside the demo. Either way all controls are explicitly listed in the included readme.

Controls for v1.1:

Cycle Your FFXI Race:
---- [Left Mouse Button (LMB)] / [Button A]
Move:
---- [WASD] / [Left Thumbstick]
Sprint:
---- [Left Shift] / [Left Trigger]
Turn:
---- [Mouse] / [Right Thumbstick]

Reset Orientation:
---- [F1] / [Right Mouse Button (RMB)] /[Start]
Cycle Camera Bounds:
---- [F3] / [Button X]
Toggle Vsync:
---- (Hit twice to remove vertical tearing if it shows up)
DK2 Menu:
---- [Esc] / [Button Y]
Quit:
----

Custom Music:

You may optionally supply your own music for each individual "area" you can visit. To avoid spoilers, the list of accepted music file names can be found in accepted-music-list.txt inside the CustomMusic folder inside of the _Data folder.

Download:

v1.2 - Built with SDK 0.5.0.1
WorldMap XI - DK2 - v1.2 (Windows) from ADrive

v1.1 (doesn't work on recent Oculus Runtimes anymore):
WorldMap XI - DK2 - v1.1 (Windows) from ADrive

Runs best in Direct HMD Access mode + _DirectToRift.exe.

Enjoy!
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com
36 REPLIES 36

mouja
Explorer
You tell "...a few more monsters". My english must be worst than I think. 🙂
Thanks a lot for this fantastic journey among all of these charismatic characters. When I think about all the fans who can ruin themselves with buying every FF stuff, I can tell that we are very privilegied with that sort of VR experience.

drash
Heroic Explorer
"mouja" wrote:
You tell "...a few more monsters". My english must be worst than I think. 🙂

What can I say... I like to keep expectations low. 🙂

"mouja" wrote:
When I think about all the fans who can ruin themselves with buying every FF stuff

That's me -- I bought cactuar and tonberry stuffed animals last time I visited Tokyo. :oops: They're in a box now somewhere...

"KhenaB" wrote:
i kept thinking how much it would be fun to rig and animate them!

I'm going to keep you in mind next time I want to rig and animate something then!

"ccs" wrote:
I also love what you did with the Oculus menu and camera bounds. Oculus should take these ideas back and make them standard in the SDK. 🙂

I'm sure that Oculus is dealing with one high-level crisis after another and are unable to spend time on the end-user polish just yet, but maybe someday they will wow us with a great official implementation of some of these things.

"DrDeathO5" wrote:
it shows you that you don't need high poly models to feel immersion.

Indeed, lightmapping does wonders. I cannot wait for Unity 5 where the process becomes a bit more streamlined.

"Kamus" wrote:
i wish i could walk up to that dragon, or whatever it is that is covered by fog in one of the locations

Glad you noticed! You can "walk" there but you'll have to use WASD, not your real legs. 🙂

Tamulur
Explorer
That is a fantastic demo. It was so fun not only to explore the world and uncover new travel destination but also to see all the new ideas that went into it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Brilliant demo. Before my favorite demo was titans of space, for the incredible impression the sense of scale made, but this is even better 😄

And as many have pointed out already, the camera bounds and stuff are great, and should be made standard.

Nukemarine
Rising Star
Since you made a dedicated thread, just wanted to pop in and say how great of a demo this turned out to be. It hits my computer hard since I can't turn off MSAA (meaning judder and other things hurting the VR aspects) but it's easy to tell how great this demo looks. Awesome job on creating my favorite go to demos for others to check out.

drash
Heroic Explorer
For those that saw Tom Heath's "Elevating your VR" talk at Connect or saw the slides somewhere, he mentioned that if the player's IPD is wrong, that it will scale incorrectly with position (I may have misheard the exact words). There's actually a good example of this in the WorldMap XI demo. If you adopt the IPD and height of the small Tarutaru race, the IPD is actually quite wide (double the average) so everything looks small. Then, if you start learning around, you're going to feel like the positional tracking is not 1:1. It feels like your view doesn't move enough relative to the physical distance your head is moving. And yet, relative to world space, it is still moving 1:1. The only difference is that your IPD is wrong! (Normally if you're shrinking/growing the player in cases where the player is still in the player's shoes, the correct thing to do is scale the whole camera controller, not scale the ICD itself.)

@Nuke, thanks again for your feedback. I'll get a more optimized version out at some point.

Boardy1976
Honored Guest
Excellent, worked flawlessly!

sgallouet
Expert Protege
wow thanks! wonderful demo! made me realized i would often be running away while screaming AAaaaaahh when playing mmorpg in VR... can't wait for it.

That aside, i got 5 FPS even before starting to load any models, so i suppose its the floor/sky mesh which is slowing down everything then? I tried off every parameters but didn't gain any fps. (just for information BF4 run fine with ultra setting on so my PC is not that much bad ^^ )

Did you used Unity? anyway we can load theses model in Unity?

Gary00
Honored Guest
Works buttery smooth! I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciate being able to toggle things like camera bounds.

drash
Heroic Explorer
I've just uploaded an update for this, which will only really matter to you if you weren't quite hitting 75 FPS with v1.0.

----

v1.1: Some performance optimizations. For most of the demo, it is now running at 250-300 FPS on GTX 660, up from 140 FPS in v1.0. It will still run slower in the two areas where you can see stars or splotches in the sky (140 FPS on GTX 660). It is easy yet time-consuming to address that, so I'll have to get to that later on when I have more time.

Download link has been updated at the bottom of the first post.

----

@Gary00, Board1976: Glad it worked well for you guys. 🙂

@sgallouet: Your 5 FPS is extremely low, so I'm not sure that even v1.1 will help you get to 75 FPS, but I'm curious to know how much it helps! Yes, made with Unity. Was a long process to massage the models into Unity, complete with textures that include the original alpha channel, setting up custom lightweight shaders, etc. Going into VR, seeing little details that don't look right, fixing them, repeat. Quite fun! It's amazing how hard it is to notice little problems on the monitor. I dare not distribute any of these models directly though, if that's what you're asking, sorry! If you like, you can PM me and I'll give you some tips on the overall process.